The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
KMAT

Roller rocker damage

So I've got this roller rocker that has the tip that goes over the pushrod some damage on it I'm wondering if anybody else has ever seen anything like this. And does anybody know where I can get a replacement ball socket that the pushrod rides in for oiling it if that makes any sense. Any type of feedback except for sarcasm would be much appreciated
Attached Images

KMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: Roller rocker damage

Never heard of those being replaceable. You need a new rocker.

Looks like lash wasn't set correct, or guide plates weren't used. Something along those lines.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
61K10

Whats the pushrod look like?

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
KMAT

Rollers were givin to me. And guy said hwe had no clue what had happened. Out of all 16 this the only one that had some damage. While I'm on the subject of roller rockers the step team with 1.5 and 1.6 8 of each. Now I've never dealt with roller rockers which are for the intake and which are for the exhaust?
Old 08-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree that you are going to have to purchase a replacement rocker. There is some debate on whether to run the 1.6 rockers on the intake or exhaust. It will depend on how your heads flow. You will want to use them with a single pattern cam.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
KMAT

Hey thanks for the feed back. Heads im using: world product sportsman 2.
2.02/1.94
64cc
200 chambers
Angle plug.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 PM   #7
KMAT

I believe the cam is lil over stock, like a RV cam
Old 09-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would have to see the flow numbers on those heads to be sure, but those heads should flow pretty well on the exhaust side. Without knowing the exact cam you have it is difficult to say whether you would benefit from the 1.6 rockers.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
KMAT

Captainfab, thanks for input. What exactly is a single pattern cam? And if i understand correctly, your advising against the 1.6 rollers completely? Lil confused.or get rid of rollers all togather and use stock rockers?
Guy i got them from said 1.6 intake/1.5 exhaust, but he didnt remember how the 1 roller got damaged, so this is why i am using this AWESOME forum site, hopefully someone knows lil more that both us
Old 09-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAT View Post
Captainfab, thanks for input. What exactly is a single pattern cam? And if i understand correctly, your advising against the 1.6 rollers completely? Lil confused.or get rid of rollers all togather and use stock rockers?
Guy i got them from said 1.6 intake/1.5 exhaust, but he didnt remember how the 1 roller got damaged, so this is why i am using this AWESOME forum site, hopefully someone knows lil more that both us
As others have said, most likely cause is incorrect lash or no guide plates. It is also possible they had a lifter failure. Without seeing the rest of the engine all we can go is take a WAG.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A single pattern cam is a cam with the same lift and duration on both the intake and exhaust. Most OEM small block heads are lacking in air flow on the exhaust side, so that is typically where I have seen the 1.6 rockers used. I do not know the flow numbers of your heads, but I would assume they have improved air flow on the exhaust side compared to OEM heads. Plus like I said, with not knowing exactly what came you have it is difficult to make a recommendation. You likely would have been just fine with either all 1.5's or all 1.6's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAT View Post
Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Its not how the rocker got damaged, it is the point of using someone else used rockers. Its great when you get something for free but when you are talking about installing used rockers on your engine is not a best practice in my opinion. We can talk about how the World Product heads you have flows with different rockers but if this engine is used on the street there is no reason to consider roller rockers in the first place. I know I know every one wants to run roller rockers but every application does not need them, again my opinion, this is a forum full of opinions. Consider this, the free roller rockers came with locks ? correct ? and one of the locks was not tighten correctly and the rocker was loose and the pushrod beat the piss out of the rocker.....you can see from the pics provided the marks on the rocker have the shape of the pushrod.
What type of vehicle are we working on here ? drag car ? need that extra tenth to make it into the super street class ? Just wondering to make sure where we should focus our efforts in helping out.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Tom
driving is in my blood

I've always seen staggered rockers running the 1.6's on the intake side, never on the exhaust. I say buy 8 1.6's and run them on intake and exhaust.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #14
johnyrrr

I had a 350 with non roller rockers that I was always adjusting one of the rockers. It would be quiet for a while and then it would start ticking a week later, Id adjust it and it would be great. What was happening is the pressed in Rocker stud was working it self loose causing things to come out of alignment and get noisy. I had to replace pushrods too. Anyway just a little food for thought maybe.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote