The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #26
WTX-65LWB

Re: 1965 C10 LWB - Bringing Back a Part of the Family

Went deeper into the cab repairs tonight and began major surgery. The outer rocker didn't look too bad from the outside but the rust was significant inside.

After cutting the rocker spot welds, I peeled it back to find a rocker and front cab support full of dirt and rust. The front cab pillar inside the rocker is pretty much gone too. The inner rocker is in pretty rough shape along with the floor and footwell. I also started cutting out the bad areas in preparation for floors, inner rockers, and outer rockers. I guess I will put a few more patch panels on order.

Here's a few pictures of the carnage.
Attached Images

WTX-65LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #27
CRGRS 66

Digging right in, I like it

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #28
WTX-65LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
Digging right in, I like it
Thanks CRGRS! I figure there is no time like the present - the front clip is already off giving me good access for the repairs.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #29
WTX-65LWB

Been a while since my last update. Made some progress on the rust repairs. The passenger side is pretty much finished up. I have a few days off work around New Years, so I am hoping to tear into the drivers side then.

I tore into the TBI 350 I picked up and found more significant wear/damage than I was hoping. I knew the motor had blown a head gasket but I was hoping the damage wouldn't be so extensive. The #5 cylinder had been holding water for a while and shows some noticeable vertical scoring. I tore down the head and gauged it for flatness. The area around the #5 cylinder was more than 0.010 out. After weighing the cost of machine work and a complete rebuild, I decided to stick with the 292/SM465 combo for the time being. In all reality, it is pretty neat to be able to preserve the heritage of the truck especially since my Dad and Granddad put the motor and trans. I scored a sweet deal on a complete 1971 rear end with 3.08 gears. That will give me the cruising speeds I am looking for with the old 4 speed. I have also picked up the parts for the power steering conversion (steering gear, pump, etc.) and a under dash AC system with Sanden Style compressor. I bought a two-belt AC, PS, Alternator bracket system from Davis Speed Equipment to mount all of the accessories up. I haven't installed the parts yet but I am very pleased with the build quality of the brackets. I will chronicle the install of the bracket set and accessories closely since there are a number of 292s on the board who might be interested.

On the interior, I picked up some replacement levers and a cable set for the deluxe heater controls. Two of my levers are broke so this should take care of the issue. I also picked up a 1965 C10 radio on eBay. Since the unit is only AM, I am planning to convert the stock unit to Bluetooth with an Aux Input (I am kind of an electronics nerd). My goal is for the unit to still look stock from the outside but have modern connectivity.

Anyways, more pictures to come as I get into the next stages of work!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #30
WTX-65LWB

Got my deluxe heater control unit rebuilt with new levers and cables. One more thing down!

I wrote up a tutorial on doing the rebuild. You can view it at:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653541
Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #31
bj383ss

Good progress. When you convert your radio to modern. Please do a writeup for those of us that are electronics challenged. I would love to convert an original Radio to Bluetooth and use my phone to play music. I know they make new ones but they go for stupid money.

Bret
Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #32
66ChevyMax

Nice work and love the family history tied to this truck!
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #33
WTX-65LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Good progress. When you convert your radio to modern. Please do a writeup for those of us that are electronics challenged. I would love to convert an original Radio to Bluetooth and use my phone to play music. I know they make new ones but they go for stupid money.

Bret
Thanks Bret! I will do write-up on the conversion. I am waiting on some parts to come in from Parts Express then I will tear into it. If all goes as planned it will be simple and provide good functionality. I did a similar upgrade to a 1950 console radio. Replaced all of the capacitors and added a bluetooth module. It is awesome to listen to Pandora on my iPad through a tube amp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax View Post
Nice work and love the family history tied to this truck!
Thanks 66ChevyMax! The family history makes it for me!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #34
WTX-65LWB

Had a few days off from work this week for the Holidays. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked due to the weather (dang it has been cold!) but still made some good progress.

Weather was pretty decent on Monday so I was able to finish up the repairs to the driver's side of the cab. Damage was significant but not as bad as the passengers side thankfully. Ended up replacing part of the floor, the inner rocker, the front cab support, the kick panel and the outer rocker. Glad to have those repairs behind me!

Also had a little time to start stripping the 292 in preparation for installing the Davis Speed Equipment brackets and accessories. This set up will allow me to run power steering and AC on the 292. So far, I am very impressed with the Davis Speed parts. The instructions are well written, contained all the needed hardware, and well made. In addition, they have plenty of adjustment to allow for alignment of the belts.

Before:

Stripped down and ready for install:

Then the cold weather hit. The temperatures didn't get above 15*F on Tuesday with 30mph winds and snow. Decided it was a good day to spend inside!

The winds calmed overnight so I braved the cold (with the help of a good heater) to get some work done. It was 5*F when i showed up at the shop! I got the brackets installed along with the accessories. I still need to put on the new belts and tighten everything down but very pleased with the progress. If there is interest, I will post up more pictures/info on the 292 accessory upgrade in a separate thread once I finish up. Next big job up is to install the power steering gear.

BRRRRR!

New brackets and accessories installed:

Slowly but surely getting closer to being back on the road!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #35
WTX-65LWB

Been a while since I have posted any updates. Been making some progress and snuck in a nice beach vacation.

Since the last update I have completed a number of upgrades including finishing up the power disc brakes, power steering, 110A 1-wire alternator, Sanden-style AC compressor, new AC condenser and drier, HEI distributor for the 292, and cable style throttle.

I have also begun a completed re-wire of the truck using a universal 20-circuit harness. As I worked my way through the dash wiring, I found a number of splices and areas that were in bad shape. I talked to my Dad and he mentioned that he and Granddad were always chasing electrical gremlins. Better just to start back from scratch - certainly makes it easier to run additional accessories. I also decided to upgrade the dash with new Dolphin gauges with programmable electronic speedo.

After reading through a number of threads and websites (Thanks LugNutz65! Great Information!) I decided to pursue a T5 swap. I happened to find a S10 unit locally for a great price. I performed the Jeep input shaft swap (along with some additional improvements/repairs like billet 3/4 keys), shortened the bearing retainer, and enlarged the mounting through holes. It is reading to go in in the next few days.

Hopefully I can get the wiring wrapped up and the T5 installed soon - I am ready to get the truck back on the road!

My Grandparents in the early 1980's - They were in this pickup towing a 18' travel trailer on this trip.

I placed the fuse block behind the glovebox to allow easy access later on.

Front clip back on the truck.

Beginning to pull wires for the engine compartment (old alternator still on)

Lots of wires going to the gauges, column, etc.

New dash insert with Dolphin gauges.

And a little time at Coronado, Ca.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #36
WTX-65LWB

Just a quick update -

Got the wiring finished and the truck moving under it's own power. Also got the T5 installed, driveshaft shortened, and late-model 17" rims fitted up. Beginning to work paint and body. Slowly but surely!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #37
WTX-65LWB

Been a while since I have posted anything on the truck. Life seems to get busy and slow down progress!

Since I last posted, I got the truck put back together and into a road-legal condition. I decided to go this route so I could enjoy driving the truck for a few months while the weather was too cold to work on the body. During this time, I ran into issues with the rear-end (worn completely out) so I had to rebuild it last summer. While hunting for parts, I was able to snag a 1992 Suburban with a TBI 350 for a price I couldn't pass up. It may give up its motor and some other parts for the '65. This week, I have updated the front suspension with upper tubular control arms (to improve stability by adding caster) and 2" drop springs. I put in a set of 4" drop springs to bring the rear down and level the truck. I also was able to find a complete set of 9" wide 5-lug rally rims so I bought a set of 31x10.5x15 tires and threw those on the truck. Overall, I am very pleased with the stance.

Looking for opinions:
The truck is currently equipped with a 292 inline 6 and S10 T5 (0.86 OD) and a 3.08 rear-end. It also has power steering, power brakes, and is equipped to support AC once it is hooked up. I also have the 1992 TBI 350 parts vehicle and a 1990 700R4. If I went this direction I would retain the factory fuel injection, etc. The truck will be used around town and for the occasional trip to work (60 miles round trip). I like both options and am on the fence on which direction to go. Which drivetrain would you guys run?

Pictures because we all love them!
Truck back together with a full coat of primer

Leaving my Parents Place - quick picture with Dad

The truck at home

Truck back on the ground after rear-end rebuild

Parts Vehicle picked up for a great price:

Truck with new 2"/4" static drop:
Old 04-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #38
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Grandpa's old truck - the one you guys created memories with. It doesn't get much better than that.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote