The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
WOLFMANmike

WOLFMANmike's 65 C10 Build

I was thinking of starting a build thread. But I do not have the money or the tools to do the kind of work I've seen out of all of you here . And I only get paid once a month so it would be the longest build in the history of the website I'm sure . My work won't be top notch stuff but I am driven to learn and try to make it the way I want it to be within my budget .. do you think I should make one anyway ? This is what I have to work with and fix up. I traded a Honda civic with a blown head gasket for it ... I think I got the better deal still lol
Attached Images

Last edited by chevy_mike; 02-09-2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Changing title
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
DaddyOh

Re: what do you think ?

Hellz yeah you need to start one.... oh wait, looks like you just did.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyOh View Post
Hellz yeah you need to start one.... oh wait, looks like you just did.
i dont have to open one up in the build part ? that's cool i inadvertently started one lol just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a waste since i cant do the stuff you guys do on here lol i dont even have a welder nor have i ever tried one yet either lol i have 1 timing light a small tool box of tools 1 sander 1 grinder 1 engine hoist and 1 engine stand .... oh and 1 floor Jack and thats it for now lol
Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
WOLFMANmike

ok so this is one thing i did to my truck. i fixed the speedo cluster the way i wanted it to look . as you can see the cluster was very dirty and i was thinking i may not be able to get it looking the way i had it pictured
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
WOLFMANmike

so i started pulling it all apart .... lots of sneezing lol and then after getting it all apart i started to clean the gauges with some simple green and some Qtips i was rather impressed with how well they came clean ... not perfect by any means but good enough. i just sprayed the Qtip and rubbed them clean
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #6
WOLFMANmike

Smile Re: what do you think ?

next i the tin box part and washed with hot water and comet and a scrub pad got it all clean ... and because i like my gauges to really light up i gave it 3 good coats of rattle can gloss white so the light was really reflected brightly no more green hue ... i know some of the die hards like the green hue are probably ready to scream lol sorry guys i then painted the needles on all the gauges red they were faded orange .. for this i used my Pinup Fiances red nail polish i thinned down just a tad so it wouldn't be to heavy she was ok with it lol shes a great gal willing to sacrifice her makeup for the good of our hot rod truck
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
WOLFMANmike

then i remounted all of the gauges back into the tin box ... i cleaned the plastic face soaked in really hot water and soap for half the day. i used a micro fiber cloth for the cleaning so i wouldn't add any more scratches to it .. came out much cleaner i let it dry and the buffed it with some flitz wax that got it really nice and clear no more haze .... then im a black and red kinda guy and when my truck is the way i want it it will be flat black with a red metal flake roof ... my buddy got me some Jr Roth red metal flake for the roof but thats down the road .. anyway so i then painted the face behind the glass Metallic Red .. i like how it came out but dont mind the ugly ring holding the speedo cluster it will be changed to a chrome one later
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #8
WOLFMANmike

next project i did was door panels .. when i first got my truck the PO Jackhole ! sorry but i truly curse the day this guy was born lol anyway he had tightened down the door panels with i guess a drill because the guy forced the screws through the metal panels on like all but 2 holes . so needless to say i was in the market for some panels ... i found a set from a guy online that were not to ruff that i could work with for $50.00 SOLD ! took them home and shot a before pic seen here
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 AM   #9
WOLFMANmike

before
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
before
anyway i sanded them down nice and clean used a tac cloth and Acetone to clean the metal. i used some primer and then shot them Metallic Red the same i used on my speedo cluster the very close up shot is so you can see metal flake in it ... i cant wait till i get to put them on the are gonna really pop in the sun light at car shows
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #11
WOLFMANmike

next when i got my truck it had baby moon wheels on it they were still in good shape . but i really wanted some aluminum slot mags from the 60s on it ... see this is how i live my life im only 42 but i was born in the wrong era lol i listen to oldies Rock n Roll 50s and 60s and also Rockabilly . and as mentioned before my Fiance is a Pinup girl a bit different because shes in a wheelchair but she dont let that stop her she rocks the style .. so this is why you will notice that the things i do to my truck are hot rod 60s style .
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
WOLFMANmike

ok so my buddy is building a 64 longbed chevy for his wife and doing a frame up resto .. so his wife saw my wheels and said she liked them and wanted a set for her truck ... Sweet ! guess what wheels she had yup aluminum slot mags we traded now these mags were pretty ruff and pitted but i did not care here is what the looked like before i worked on them they were heavily Oxidated
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #13
WOLFMANmike

so i started to wet sand the mags with a 250 grit this was not fun lol i did not want a back and forth pattern left on the mags so i sanded in only 1 direction for 30 mins each wheel and each time i switched grits . i started with a 250 then a 600 grit and finished it off with a 1000 grit each wheel got the same treatment . after that i was dragging my arms behind me like an Ape lol so the next day i came out and i sprayed each wheel with Flitz Pre Clean then scrubbed them with a nylon brush not get them really clean .. after that i used my Flitz Polish and the Buffer Ball on my high speed drill and when to town with it . after i was done i then took a micro fiber cloth and by hand buffed each wheel till no more black residue came off on the cloth and this is what all the wheels looked like after all that
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #14
WOLFMANmike

i have some more stuff i have gotten for my truck and some more stuff ive done all ready but ill have to post it tomorrow as its 2:46 am im beat and going to go to bed
Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
canadian_diesel1964

looking great man...I love your truck
canadian_diesel1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Joe Pass

Glad your jumping in....we all started with little tools and collected as we went. You have to have your vision than special tools....I'm 56 and own a sh#t load of special tools, but some of my best builds were without them. looking forward to your progress
Joe
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #17
65sub

Passion for your truck will overcome lack of tools. I like the 60's hot rod theme. Nice work so far.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #18
WOLFMANmike

Wow thanks guys means a lot coming from more expiranced builders like you all here . And sorry about my spelling in these first ones . I suffer from fat finger syndrome on cell phone keyboard lol. Oh I forgot to mention our truck is also our only daily driver too so the work I'm doing has to be done while still keeping her driveable Happy Truckin

Last edited by WOLFMANmike; 02-09-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #19
siggyfreud

Looking good! Always tough to have a project that you have to ensure is buttoned up for work . My truck was that way in college. It would be torn apart on the weekend, but back together Monday AM for classes.

The gauge cluster looks great by the way with that red backing!

You should definitely start or convert over to a build thread .
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #20
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Looking good! Always tough to have a project that you have to ensure is buttoned up for work . My truck was that way in college. It would be torn apart on the weekend, but back together Monday AM for classes.

The gauge cluster looks great by the way with that red backing!

You should definitely start or convert over to a build thread .
Oh oh. I'm sorry I thought this was a build thread. .. ok now I'm confused where do I go and how do I move all that I've done to the right place ? I hope I didn't brake site rules. I would really appreciate some guidance on how to proceed properly with what I'm doing and how to move it all to the right place thanks in advance happy truckin
Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Sent you a PM about moving and changing the title. Please reply to it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #22
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
Oh oh. I'm sorry I thought this was a build thread. .. ok now I'm confused where do I go and how do I move all that I've done to the right place ? I hope I didn't brake site rules. I would really appreciate some guidance on how to proceed properly with what I'm doing and how to move it all to the right place thanks in advance happy truckin
No biggie, just easier to manage all the build threads over in the Projects and Builds section, as things on the main page get buried quickly .
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #23
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Sent you a PM about moving and changing the title. Please reply to it.
sent a reply brother ty for your help
Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #24
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Like I always say, "I have more time then money" Use that to work on your truck and look at other builds to get tips and ideas for your truck!!

Take your time and you will get there.. Your off to a great start!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #25
WOLFMANmike

Re: WOLFMANmike's 65 C10 Build

got me a new red metal flake Mooneyes 15'' steering wheel and installed it on my customized steering column i dont have have any pics of the column being done . as i was not there my buddy Mike took a stock column and cut it down shorter for me so i had more room in the cab .. im 6 foot 1 but im 430 lbs ugly beast lol so the wheel was in my gut before we did this mod only problem is moving the column forward makes the wheel lower so now i need to get a seat that can be cut down nice and low for me
Attached Images