The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #76
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
scooter what everbody is trying to do is help you build your engine to do the job you want it to do, namely push your big heavy truck down the road as efficiently as possible.
A 283 is a short stroke, high reving low torque engine.
The same tricks people apply to a 350 won't build an engine to do what you want on a 283.
You say "The Most Power", well "Power" comes in at different RPMs on different size engines. With your 283 you want to keep all the power it makes at lower RPMs.
What's the casting #s on your intake? What cfm is your carb? Stockish 283s like around 500 cfm, not over 600.
In my lifetime I've had well over a hundred 283s, anything from stockers to full race engines in 3200 LB cars, but had to run a 4.88 rear axle. Heck I even sleeved a 302 down to 3 7/8" & made a 283 from it. They are really good engines.
If you need a manifold to fit the carb I think one of the old C3B Edelbrocks may be a good choice, I wouldn't use a single plane. I think I have an old Offy 360 around someplace, if I can find it you can have it.
I certainly appreciate the responses! Thanks! And I certainly wouldn't ever think that a 350 and a 283 would be built with similar components.

The dual plane Edelbrock Performer is a 2101, which I was thinking was comparable to the Offy 360, you mentioned. The cast iron 327 I have laying around is a 3783244. (62'-63' 327)

I believe the Edelbrock carb I have is a 1405/6 (600 cfm). I need to look at it again to make sure it's not a 1404 (500 cfm) carb. I'm concerned the 1405/6 might be too much.
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #77
AcampoDave
Registered User
 
AcampoDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: central California
Posts: 1,232
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Scooter, see how much interest a little old 283 has generated here. I bet if the thread was "350 and a Slight Hop Up" we wouldn't be at 4 pages already! I don't know if you already have a performer intake on your shelf or not, but I use the Performer EPS on my 283. It's made for a square bore carb and now you can get it with the oil fill tube provision too. I like mine and I simply painted it to match my block to keep a more stockish look. My cam is the economical Summit 1102 style grind....it seem to work well. I know people say it's outdated now, but I prefer to call it "tried and true". I did Google the cams The Captain mentioned and I was intrigued. Since I'm by know means a cam expert, (and he seems to know his stuff) I wonder if he could elaborate a bit more on them as now he's got my curiosity up too....Captain?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #78
James903
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 31
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

I have been thinking of using a 1102 and new valve springs as well. Engine has good compression and oil pressure so I figured I real have nothing to lose
James903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #79
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 20,174
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

My recommending of one of those two cams was mainly in response to the recommendation of the GM cam by another member. A lot of guys that like the 283's seem to like everything old school and that's fine. It is my experience that a lot has happened in cam grinding technology in the past 50 years. For nearly the same price as the GM cam alone, a guy could buy the XE256H cam AND lifters and get a better cam to boot. That cam may not be the optimum cam for the OP's 283, but it would be better than the GM cam IMO. I have never built a 283, so I can not speak from that experience as others that have posted in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Scooter, see how much interest a little old 283 has generated here. I bet if the thread was "350 and a Slight Hop Up" we wouldn't be at 4 pages already! I don't know if you already have a performer intake on your shelf or not, but I use the Performer EPS on my 283. It's made for a square bore carb and now you can get it with the oil fill tube provision too. I like mine and I simply painted it to match my block to keep a more stockish look. My cam is the economical Summit 1102 style grind....it seem to work well. I know people say it's outdated now, but I prefer to call it "tried and true". I did Google the cams The Captain mentioned and I was intrigued. Since I'm by know means a cam expert, (and he seems to know his stuff) I wonder if he could elaborate a bit more on them as now he's got my curiosity up too....Captain?
__________________
Power Steering Box Adapter Plates For Sale HERE
Power Brake Booster Adapter Brackets For Sale '63-'66 HERE and '67-'72 HERE and '60-'62 HERE and "60-'62 with clutch HERE
Rear Disc Brake Brackets For Sale. Impala SS calipers HERE Camaro Calipers HERE D52 Calipers HERE 6 Lug HERE
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #80
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Scooter, see how much interest a little old 283 has generated here. I bet if the 9thread was "350 and a Slight Hop Up" we wouldn't be at 4 pages already! I don't know if you already have a performer intake on your shelf or not, but I use the Performer EPS on my 283. It's made for a square bore carb and now you can get it with the oil fill tube provision too. I like mine and I simply painted it to match my block to keep a more stockish look. My cam is the economical Summit 1102 style grind....it seem to work well. I know people say it's outdated now, but I prefer to call it "tried and true". I did Google the cams The Captain mentioned and I was intrigued. Since I'm by know means a cam expert, (and he seems to know his stuff) I wonder if he could elaborate a bit more on them as now he's got my curiosity up too....Captain?
Dave,
Yeah, the manifold I have, 2102 (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ds/sb/2101.jpg) also is setup to run the fill tube, I just have to mill a hole for in the boss. They just leave the boss "blank" to give you the option for the tube. I'm sure it's very similar to yours. It will be cleaned up and painted as well.

Some seriously interesting cam discussions here! It's really appreciated. My knowledge is VERY limited. I've built a 350, which had many more goodies, so I've washed it out of my mind completely and haven't been thinking "well, in my 350 I did..." Treating this as a whole different animal. I'm intrigued for sure.

So speaking generically, what is it in a cam that I want to look for to maintain some bottom end? More lobe separation? More/less duration? Obviously we know what lift does. It's interesting to hear the term, "more modern grind". Is that based on taste and trends or is that actually related to what we've learned about making power?

I have a clean slate here, folks. Pistons will be replaced for the cleanup bore (turns out they are actually 10 over already!). My machinist guy looked at it yesterday and says we will more than likely be going out to 30 over std.

Heads are being looked at right now. He's going to rate the stock springs that are in there and keep them if they're good, but if we feel like it's worth it to grab a pack of springs to compliment the cam choice, now's the time to get this done.

Going to read back through the cam suggestions, but I still don't feel like I know how to make an educated decision between them. They all look great, to me. HA! I just want to make sure I'm not losing too much bottom end.
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #81
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
My recommending of one of those two cams was mainly in response to the recommendation of the GM cam by another member. A lot of guys that like the 283's seem to like everything old school and that's fine. It is my experience that a lot has happened in cam grinding technology in the past 50 years. For nearly the same price as the GM cam alone, a guy could buy the XE256H cam AND lifters and get a better cam to boot. That cam may not be the optimum cam for the OP's 283, but it would be better than the GM cam IMO. I have never built a 283, so I can not speak from that experience as others that have posted in this thread.
I really appreciate the input, man! Do you feel like the cams you have suggested would help maintain some bottom end? I'm not stuck on an old school grind by any means, I'm really just listening to people's suggestions at this point, since I don't know enough to say, "I need XX lift at XXX duration... blah blah". So I'm really leaning on you and everyone else to educate me a bit on what is best for this little guy.

THANKS AGAIN!
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #82
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Chatting with the Summit tech they are also recommending the K000032

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k00032

Thoughts?
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #83
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Just to review, since this thread is not just for me, here are the cam options on the table: (using Summit links just to be consistent. Jegs probably sells the non-Summit brands as well)

GM 3896962 (.450int/.460ex 222/222 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-3896962
Comp Cam CL12-234-2 (.447 int/.445 ex 256/268 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-234-2
Comp Cam CL12-238-2 (.462 int/.469 ex 262/270 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-238-2
SUM 1101 (.398 int/.421 ex 270/278 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1101
SUM 1102 (.421 int/.427 ex 278/288 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1102
SUM 00032 (.427 int/.444 ex 260/260 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k00032

Did I miss any?
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #84
andyh1956
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: thomastown mississippi
Posts: 770
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

I don't remember what trans you're gonna run but if you don't want any lope at idle the old 300hp cam is a good choice, GM run that cam in a lot of 283 / 327 engines.
I THINK the 151 cam was the old 30-30 cam with a hyd profile ground on it, but don't remember for sure.
Good luck & have fun!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #85
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
I don't remember what trans you're gonna run but if you don't want any lope at idle the old 300hp cam is a good choice, GM run that cam in a lot of 283 / 327 engines.
I THINK the 151 cam was the old 30-30 cam with a hyd profile ground on it, but don't remember for sure.
Good luck & have fun!
Running a 200-4R.

I would love for this thing to be lopey at ides, but it seems the bumpier it sounds the less bottom end I'm giving up... or did I miss the boat on this?
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #86
sirJim
62 suburban
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 91
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
Just to review, since this thread is not just for me, here are the cam options on the table: (using Summit links just to be consistent. Jegs probably sells the non-Summit brands as well)

GM 3896962 (.450int/.460ex 222/222 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-3896962
Comp Cam CL12-234-2 (.447 int/.445 ex 256/268 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-234-2
Comp Cam CL12-238-2 (.462 int/.469 ex 262/270 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-238-2
SUM 1101 (.398 int/.421 ex 270/278 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1101
SUM 1102 (.421 int/.427 ex 278/288 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1102
SUM 00032 (.427 int/.444 ex 260/260 dur)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k00032




Did I miss any?
My choice is the Comp Cam CL12-238-2 (.462 int/.469 ex 262/270 dur) Just my 2 cents. I still need to start mine up.
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #87
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirJim View Post
My choice is the Comp Cam CL12-238-2 (.462 int/.469 ex 262/270 dur) Just my 2 cents. I still need to start mine up.
How do we feel about this cam for 283 bottom end torque?
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #88
sirJim
62 suburban
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 91
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
How do we feel about this cam for 283 bottom end torque?
I would think it is fine for what you want. 1,300-5,600 range is perfect.
By the way 283īs like small valves as well. Along with vacuum secondaries.
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #89
sirJim
62 suburban
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 91
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

found this on another forum hope that is allowed for posting here.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-...ce-150095.html
around post 8 or 9 might give you a little advice as to what works
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #90
AcampoDave
Registered User
 
AcampoDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: central California
Posts: 1,232
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
Running a 200-4R.

I would love for this thing to be lopey at ides, but it seems the bumpier it sounds the less bottom end I'm giving up... or did I miss the boat on this?
Im pretty sure you meant lopier cams give up more bottom end...My cam has a slight lope. There's some youtubes of Edelbrock performer cams (pretty much the same) in lots of cars, but I didn't find one specific to a 283. (Also didn't have much time to search).
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #91
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Im pretty sure you meant lopier cams give up more bottom end...My cam has a slight lope. There's some youtubes of Edelbrock performer cams (pretty much the same) in lots of cars, but I didn't find one specific to a 283. (Also didn't have much time to search).
Yes! That's what I meant.
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #92
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirJim View Post
I would think it is fine for what you want. 1,300-5,600 range is perfect.
By the way 283īs like small valves as well. Along with vacuum secondaries.
Thank you sir!
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #93
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 20,174
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

The RPM ranges given for most small block cams are based on a 350 cu in engine. Installing a given cam in a 283 is going to move the RPM range up likely 400 RPM if not more. So with the RPM range of the EX262 being 1300-5,600 in a 350, it will be about 1,700-6,000 in a 283.

IMO the XE256 would be the better of the two cams I recommended. I can not find a good example of a XE256 on youtube. However this video of the XE262 in a 307 should be close to what the XE256 would be in a 283.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyjDNk8dfo
__________________
Power Steering Box Adapter Plates For Sale HERE
Power Brake Booster Adapter Brackets For Sale '63-'66 HERE and '67-'72 HERE and '60-'62 HERE and "60-'62 with clutch HERE
Rear Disc Brake Brackets For Sale. Impala SS calipers HERE Camaro Calipers HERE D52 Calipers HERE 6 Lug HERE
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #94
Steve66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 66
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

FWIW I rebuilt my 283 last summer and did the following. Bored 030 over with flat top pistons, Edelbrock 2102 cam, performer intake and 500 carburetor. I used 416 casting 305 heads and the stock points distributor. Transmission is the factory powerglide with a 3:73 rearend. Performance is a little sluggish at a stop sign because of the powerglide but the thing really comes to life at about 2500 rpm and it flat screams to 5000. Swapping the glide out for a TH2004r would probably do more to improve performance than anything else. I'm happy with my results.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #95
AcampoDave
Registered User
 
AcampoDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: central California
Posts: 1,232
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
FWIW I rebuilt my 283 last summer and did the following. Bored 030 over with flat top pistons, Edelbrock 2102 cam, performer intake and 500 carburetor. I used 416 casting 305 heads and the stock points distributor. Transmission is the factory powerglide with a 3:73 rearend. Performance is a little sluggish at a stop sign because of the powerglide but the thing really comes to life at about 2500 rpm and it flat screams to 5000. Swapping the glide out for a TH2004r would probably do more to improve performance than anything else. I'm happy with my results.
What did you do for the exhaust?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #96
Steve66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 66
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Nothing fancy. Dual turbos turned out in front of the wheels.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #97
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The RPM ranges given for most small block cams are based on a 350 cu in engine. Installing a given cam in a 283 is going to move the RPM range up likely 400 RPM if not more. So with the RPM range of the EX262 being 1300-5,600 in a 350, it will be about 1,700-6,000 in a 283.

IMO the XE256 would be the better of the two cams I recommended. I can not find a good example of a XE256 on youtube. However this video of the XE262 in a 307 should be close to what the XE256 would be in a 283.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyjDNk8dfo
Thank you sir! That's good info. Comp Cams is also recommending the XE256 cam to me and I'm leaning heavily towards it. I've used Comp Cams in the past (before "Competition" was shortened to "Comp" HAHA) and really liked the results and quality.
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #98
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
FWIW I rebuilt my 283 last summer and did the following. Bored 030 over with flat top pistons, Edelbrock 2102 cam, performer intake and 500 carburetor. I used 416 casting 305 heads and the stock points distributor. Transmission is the factory powerglide with a 3:73 rearend. Performance is a little sluggish at a stop sign because of the powerglide but the thing really comes to life at about 2500 rpm and it flat screams to 5000. Swapping the glide out for a TH2004r would probably do more to improve performance than anything else. I'm happy with my results.
Thanks! Always good info. I beyond switching heads at this point, but still great information for this thread. Appreciated!
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #99
AcampoDave
Registered User
 
AcampoDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: central California
Posts: 1,232
Question Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
Thank you sir! That's good info. Comp Cams is also recommending the XE256 cam to me and I'm leaning heavily towards it. I've used Comp Cams in the past (before "Competition" was shortened to "Comp" HAHA) and really liked the results and quality.
Did you use this cam? If so how is it? You can't just leave us hanging out here you know.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #100
scootermcrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 76
Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Did you use this cam? If so how is it? You can't just leave us hanging out here you know.
Sorry! Life has been a whirlwind with a new kid-o in the house.

Things are moving slowly, but moving. After some serious debate and reading, himming, hawing, so on and so forth, I decided to go with the Comp Cam XE256 and I bought it as a kit form Summit. Was also quite a bit cheaper through Summit compared to buying direct from Comp Cams. I've sized an appropriate converter to go with it for the 200-4R. In reality, I'll be right on the edge of it being "too much", but for 90% of what I'll do with the truck, I think it will be just right.

Right now, the heads are off to be gone through and I'm getting the bottom end ready to go out as well. The gentleman I'm working with does incredible work and is making me a great deal, so I'm just being patient and letting him do his magic.

I'll say this... I'm super excited about this little 283! It's nothing really exciting, but it's just been a long time since I've been able to build another motor, even if it is just a little one. The engine has a bit of history, as well, which makes it special. So it's nice it will be carried on as the heart of my little C10.
__________________
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com