The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
revjames

Hood Bow help

So I am down to the hood. I have been putting it off because of the bow. You can not hardly see it in the picture but there is a dent/bow of about 1/8-1/4".

Two questions
First, how can you get this bow out, a buddy suggested body foam but I don't like that idea. I hesitate to use a hammer because of the size. can you body fill an area that big, I feel like that would be alot?

Second question? How would you go about getting an accurate arc the front half is straight but since it arcs I am having a hard time using a level, ruler etc.. I though about a bending ruler and suggestions Thanks?
Attached Images

revjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
72HuggerK20

Re: Hood Bow help

Those shallow, spread out dents are always the biggest PITA. I wouldn't be surprised if you need to do some shrinking there to get the metal back halfway close, and then you'll need to fill a pretty large area around it. Try popping the dent out first by just pushing on it or using a dead blow hammer, and if it oilcans back to being a dent, the metal is stretched and needs to be shrunk.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
64shortbox

How about using a heat gun (NOT a Hair Drier) followed by dry ice? I saw a video a while back where the guy put some aluminum foil foil over the dent & lightly passed a propane torch over the dent followed with dry ice and it popped the dent out. Unfortunately I can't locate that video now.

When doing body work when I was going to do a complete repaint I've used a torch to heat the panel followed by a rag soaked in cold water and that popped the dent right out. Again I was doing a lot of body work and a total repaint so I wasn't worried about saving my paint.

Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9OGa9vB42Q

Here's one using boiling water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J79uO_H0kzo

Boiling water followed by dry ice might work out well in your case.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
rvrfoot

Heat than a rag with water.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
revjames

Well good news I poured two gallons of boiling water on the spot and got a big pop! It almost completely came out one side has maybe a 1/16-1/8 push down but it is really really hard to notice. I think it is within specs to use filler now. Thanks for the help.
revjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
norwegianc10

Heat up small spots, and use a wet sponge to make the metal shrink. Take your time.