The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
Dustint

Are any of you classic ford guys too? Needing opinions

I have an opportunity to purchase what I believe to be a 1935 ford pickup with a 1936 bed from the wife of a family friend who has passed away.
I would like to confirm my thoughts on the year and possibly get an idea of a realistic value, if not for myself to purchase for her to have a realistic expectation. Found one forums and posted there but it seems very dead.

It is very very rough, and sitting on a jeep 4wd chassis with a ford 302 motor. The jeep chassis would have to go in my eyes as the fab work isn't good at all, and it also has an assembled title which scares me. Can this be changed if an original or aftermarket original chassis is put in? I think it's basically worth the body for a rat rod type of thing, so not sure if I even want it but coming up with a value would help me give her info if I don't get it.
http://imgur.com/J8Jwerx
http://imgur.com/WeEogtR
http://imgur.com/oBFhB7H
http://imgur.com/gK0yHM2
Dustint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Are any of you classic ford guys too? Needing opinions

Well, I'm no expert. With that said, I had a '39 Ford P/U some time back. The one thing you would want to check is the lower portion of the rear of the cab. It seems this is the place where they rust through. The body looks decent from the pictures, but it looks like they hacked up the front fenders to get that frame under there. Not so good in my opinion. I had a lot invested in mine, but couldn't finish it. I wound up selling it for about $5k. Honestly, I wouldn't give $3-$4k for that one, at the very most.

As far as the title goes, I don't think that can be changed. You would have to check with your DMV. In CA, once it has that or a salvage title, there's no changing it, even with an aftermarket frame. Now, it may be different in your area. The VIN # would have be stamped on the left front frame horn on the stock frame, in this case that's gone.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
Dustint

That's kinda what I'm thinking on the title..Nebraska is pretty forgiving on stuff compared to some, but I wasn't sure where the vin was on these, so if it's on the frame id have to find an original and try to just get my own title. Otherwise I'm sure it will hurt the value.
There isn't much for rust at all, just some areas on the rear fenders that are beat up and a good size dent in the roof of the cab. The front fenders as you mentioned and grille are hacked up. I think it's worth whatever the body is worth basically.
I would probably go this style of rat rod vs a restore just because of what's there
https://www.google.com/search?q=1935...KQablAkq1CM%3A
Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'd think that you could pick up a proper 35/36 frame fairly reasonable.

Lots of good earl V8 Ford info here http://www.fordbarn.com/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Who knows what is left unbutchered from the look of the fire wall and front fenders they may have cut up a heck of a lot of that poor old truck to get it on that frame.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Dustint

Yeah the firewall is definitely butchered as well, but I'm guessing there is aftermarket available there like the one piece for ours that would be smooth without holes and just replace the whole thing. It is very rough, trying to keep a level head on it since it was a good family friends, guy was kinda like my second dad. Trying to keep sentimental value out of it though too.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
jmcleek

Looks like a neat build . I found a good build thread on a differnt forum you may like ,it pritty long though http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=30561
jmcleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

If that is the type of project you would like to have, then go for it. That one is cool and unique. If you are looking for a more original type truck, then this one will be nothing but expensive problems trying to bring it back towards original.
Nothing wrong with an "assembled" title. Any future owner who would be interested in a truck like this one with all of its modifications will know exactly what they are getting and will not be scared to purchase it.
The best thing to do if you were to get this truck would be to document everything that this truck was assembled from. Be able to give the next owner an exact detailing so parts and such can be obtained for repairs or modifications.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Dustint

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
If that is the type of project you would like to have, then go for it. That one is cool and unique. If you are looking for a more original type truck, then this one will be nothing but expensive problems trying to bring it back towards original.
Nothing wrong with an "assembled" title. Any future owner who would be interested in a truck like this one with all of its modifications will know exactly what they are getting and will not be scared to purchase it.
The best thing to do if you were to get this truck would be to document everything that this truck was assembled from. Be able to give the next owner an exact detailing so parts and such can be obtained for repairs or modifications.
I agree that a restoration to original or even close would be way too costly, kinda why I'm thinking this route, with the front fenders hacked up, the rear beat up, could at least use the cab and bed and the 302 motor. maybe the tranny, but i fear thats about it, which may end up in a relatively low offer on my part from what she is thinking, but basically paying for some body parts and a motor way I see it.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #10
Dustint

Just bringing this back to the top if anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated