The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
jasonroman

eBay parts to lower 85 burb

anyone use cheaper eBay parts? or is it better to spend more on better quality parts??
looking for spindles up front, ill cut coils
and a flip kit for the rear. hoping not to have to notch and be ok out back

right now truck has 15x6 inch rally wheels......

thanks for any advice or direction. not a mechanic but I've done it to other trucks. id like the best set up that will not give me much issues after drop.
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
jasonroman

Re: eBay parts to lower 85 burb

also, need to know if i can use tock shocks for now?
if so, do i need relocation kit?
thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
jasonroman

ok. didn't get too much help.....

so now a new question. does anyone know the size of the nut on top of the lower ball joint?
i was going to try and for now, remove the springs and cut them in the front and put shackles in the back for a quick drop while i decide on which spindle and flip kit combo to go with.. as well as shock extenders.....take it i will need them unless i get new shocks. don't want to spend the money right now on all sorts of parts.

anyway, i tried getting the shock on pass side off and the bolt got stripped out on me.
gotta figure out how to get that bolt off..... stripped the bold near control arm.
but need to know what size the bolt on the ball joint is, so i can get that socket before i attempt this quick drop again.

thanks for any help
Old 02-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
RDrancher

No idea on the nut size for you. PB Blaster is your friend to pre-treat threads before trying to remove old rusty nuts and bolts....or plan on getting out the grinder or sawzall and chopping them off.

Lots of ebay stuff is name brand, but it seems that not all spindles are equal. I used Western Chassis spindles for my drop and have plenty of room between the wheel and lower control arms. I've read a lot about having to grind the arms to varying degrees with other spindles.

As far as doing the spindle/coil cut and flip, there's info that may help you out in the link in my sig. You can use stock length front shocks and in the rear, but you'll need shock relocator brackets for the rear.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
jasonroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
No idea on the nut size for you. PB Blaster is your friend to pre-treat threads before trying to remove old rusty nuts and bolts....or plan on getting out the grinder or sawzall and chopping them off.

Lots of ebay stuff is name brand, but it seems that not all spindles are equal. I used Western Chassis spindles for my drop and have plenty of room between the wheel and lower control arms. I've read a lot about having to grind the arms to varying degrees with other spindles.

As far as doing the spindle/coil cut and flip, there's info that may help you out in the link in my sig. You can use stock length front shocks and in the rear, but you'll need shock relocator brackets for the rear.
thanks for reply. unfortunately i ended up spraying it after the fact. kinda sucked cuz there was not much room to get a wrench on the nut in the first place since it was so close to control arm. gonna stop at home depot and get a different vice grip and see if that helps. the one i have seems to not hold. not much room to get good bite.
i may go with the spindles you mentioned. been reading up a bit to see which might work best..
right now I'm on the skinny stock rally wheels. 15x6. hopefully i get it down some time soon. just figured while i wait for spindles, flip kit and i guess shock extender. that i could maybe drop it a bit.

thanks for reply. ill go back and check your thread.
if I'm right, you posted something about making a tool for the rear flip.
is this something i need to do, or just make the job easier.?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
RDrancher

You can either make the socket tool or cut down an end wrench to get in the front spring mount. It looks like it was assembled at the factory and then the body set on which doesn't allow access to the spring pocket. Also, check the drivers side rear shackle bolt. If they put them in the same direction as mine, you'll need to cut/grind the bolt off to drop the leaf spring. That will also mean that you will need a new shackle bolt.