The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
cbenney

Cool 68 Chevy Pickup Drum Brakes

Here it goes.... My Brother-in-law passed away earlier this year, always told me that Chevy trucks were the best! Well, he picked up a 1968 pickup 3/4 ton c20 before he got sick. NO one wanted the truck, so I took it… I was told by family members that the brakes and bearings were not working so they would need to be replaced. So, I am a rookie when it comes to repairing, but always wanted to learn... This is a nice project that should keep me busy for a while. So I at my first bump in the road...

I have reviewed and looked at a lot of threads, the one below was helpful...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=283587

The problem is that I can not get the drum off the shaft... He says in the thread that the whole drum and stud assambly came right off.... mine will not. It wiggles a little but wont budge.... It feels like there is something holding it on at the top of the drum. I included pictures (hope they post)... any help of tricks would be appricated.
Attached Images

cbenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: 68 Chevy Pickup Drum Brakes

Have you made sure that the shoes are compressed inward as far as they will go?

If the outer bearing is sloppy, it will jam against the axle tube threads.
I take a punch, and tap it around the edges to try to get it to come off straight. It's a huge pain in the but, since the drum is so large and nothing really to grab onto.

Or... you can beat on the drum with a BFH to try and shake it loose.
Be sure to wear hearing protection, since it's just like banging on a giant bell.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
cbenney

Thanks for your advice Chris!

I am not sure how to be sure the shoes compressed inward...

I can spin the outer bearings with my screwdriver... so I dont think they are jammed, but I am not sure that is the way to tell. I know I can move them around...

I have been wacking the drum my little hammer... need to go buy a bigger one! I have not tried to take the other rear wheel drum off and see if the other wheel drum acts the same. I am going to replace that too, anyways. Maybe ill try that to see if that one comes off any easier ...

Thanks everyone for your help!
Chris B.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
cbenney

Hey Lap15,

So, my drum does NOT spin.... so shoes are stuck?!? cool...progress!! good to know...

Another rookie question... how do I back off the shoes?

I have pressed the brake pedal but I am not sure how much resistance it should have... or even if that is they way to do it...

Chris B.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

OK, sounds like you are not familiar with drum brakes.

First thing I recommend contacting one of the vendors for the "big book" service manual for your truck.

Here is a video that gives a high level over view of your drum brakes, and the visual will help you understand what may be working against you in accomplishing your task.

When I said to make sure your shoes were compressed inwards, I meant that you have to manually adjust them to contract via the star adjuster located at the bottom of the drum section.
Grab a flash light and crawl behind the brake backing plate, at the bottom section look for a rectangular window/hole. Shine your light in there, and look for that knobby wheel. That is what you need to turn to adjust the shoes inward away from the drum surface, a screw driver works but a proper adjusting tool is angled in such a way that makes it easier.

Sears sells a complete drum brake tool kit, so it would be a good investment and make your life a little easier.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
cbenney

Ok, found the hole where I can get to the adjuster. It is actually on the side of the drum itself... I just actually got the drum to spin a little, and concludes that the shoes are pressing against the drum...so I will need to put the wheel back on and roll the truck a little to line it up with the adjuster, and then I can adjust it. I will get that "Big BooK" and brake kit ASAP. I plan on hitting up the project Saturday....

Thanks again for all your help! Will let you know how I make out!!

Wish me luck!

Chris B
Old 12-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
lap15

The drum should spin freely. If it doesn't, most likely the brake shoes are stuck to the drum. Make sure you back them off and smack it with a hammer to free it up. Then it should slip off the axle tube.
lap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
chevykevy

I had a 1970 that had large flat head screws that hold the drum to the hud. Clean up the surface between the lugs and see if there are flat head screws.
chevykevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
dmack91

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevykevy View Post
I had a 1970 that had large flat head screws that hold the drum to the hud. Clean up the surface between the lugs and see if there are flat head screws.
If I remember correctly, on mine the front drums had screws holding them on, but not the rears. Broke 2 impact driver bits getting them loose.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
cbenney

No flat srews holding the drum on.... good the for a check through....

hehe, have gotten "that look" many times.... The emergency brake line has broken off.... pic below... will need to replace this also.... I think it should not be engaged.... project continues tomorrow... fingers cross...

Will keep ya updated!

Chris B
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
50bomb

Oh make sure when you jack it up so both sides are up? So you can compare sides if you forget how one goes? I love drum brakes so fun to play with. Trust took me 6 years to get use to changing them haha but I never own a disc brake vehicle. That is for people who have a family to go to at the end of the day haha j/k
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
Cannonball1

Silly question, but I only ask because I have done this, but have you made sure the emergency brake is off? Seriously, I spent 30 minutes banging on a drum once before my dad came over and pulled the e-brake release. Then he gave me "that look"....
Cannonball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
50bomb

^^^^I know that look too!!! hahaha!!! That look of "You dummy" ...Love it
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I've seen That Look a time or two...followed by a slight turn of the head from left to right.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote