The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
CountofMonteCarlo84

Altman Easy Door Latch Strength Issue?

After the passenger side of my 57 opened next to my pregnant wife while driving not long ago I sought alternatives to my original 1957 latches. After reading lots of content on here I bought the Altman Latches from Trique. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do the install and want them now so I dropped the truck off at the body shop. I was speaking with my body man today and he said he thought they could have been made better in the sense that they bolt on to the sheet metal panel versus the door frame and will have some flex. In other words, he thought they won't have as much strength as the originals that attach to the door frame. Have you guys with these had any issues in this regard? Did you do anything to give them more strength? Either way, knowing the doors should open and close like a new truck makes me happy. Thanks.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Altman Easy Door Latch Strength Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountofMonteCarlo84 View Post
After the passenger side of my 57 opened next to my pregnant wife while driving not long ago I sought alternatives to my original 1957 latches. After reading lots of content on here I bought the Altman Latches from Trique. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do the install and want them now so I dropped the truck off at the body shop. I was speaking with my body man today and he said he thought they could have been made better in the sense that they bolt on to the sheet metal panel versus the door frame and will have some flex. In other words, he thought they won't have as much strength as the originals that attach to the door frame. Have you guys with these had any issues in this regard? Did you do anything to give them more strength? Either way, knowing the doors should open and close like a new truck makes me happy. Thanks.
Sound like he doesn't want to do the job. Altman latches bolt to the same part of the door as the original latch. I'd rather have the latch pin on the door frame pillar than on the door itself thicker metal on the pillar. Google the latches and see if anyone has the same issue. It would be all over the forum if they did. Back in 2010 they had a problem but nothing I've found since. Most issues are with installation. Nothings going to keep the door closed in a wreck due to the poor safety design of these trucks but Altmans gives you a better chance of it
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
ptc

I just installed the Autoloc large bearclaw latches in my jambs because they are too big to fit in the doors with poppers and power locks and 1-piece window glass....

My plates are welded into place that hold the actual latch assembly. and the striker bolt plate is also welded onto the door. This seems plenty strong.

If you wanted to weld the Altman latch plate into your door it would be alot stronger, you would just have to make a new arrangement for bolting the end of your door panel in.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
CountofMonteCarlo84

Well they are installed. Not as perfect as I would expect for the price, but definitely an improvement. Especially on the passenger side. However, there is one thing that is irking me about these. There is no return spring for the bear claw mechanism, so when you open the door from the inside to get out and close it from the outside I have to move the interior door handle to open the bear claw mechanism so I can close the door from the outside without it bouncing back at me. Am I missing something here? Was something not installed? I have read every post and do not see anything mentioning this issue. My body shop said there was no return spring provision for to prevent this from occurring. Thanks.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountofMonteCarlo84 View Post
Well they are installed. Not as perfect as I would expect for the price, but definitely an improvement. Especially on the passenger side. However, there is one thing that is irking me about these. There is no return spring for the bear claw mechanism, so when you open the door from the inside to get out and close it from the outside I have to move the interior door handle to open the bear claw mechanism so I can close the door from the outside without it bouncing back at me. Am I missing something here? Was something not installed? I have read every post and do not see anything mentioning this issue. My body shop said there was no return spring provision for to prevent this from occurring. Thanks.
Sounds like the latch spring or the relay spring is broken, It should close and stay closed when shut from outside. its a normal function of these latches. all handle should return to their normal position
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
dsraven

check the mechanisms going to the inside handle to ensure it is all free moving and not binding on something after it is all assembled. the latch may not be able to overcome the tight mechanism of the inside handle with it's small internal return spring. kinda sounds like what it could be if not a broken spring or a spring that has moved off it's perch.
got some pics?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote