The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
67chevysupercharged

4l80e Builders

Finally got my 6.0 swap running and moving under its own power in the last couple weeks. But unfortunately now found that the trans is on its way out. The pump is whining, rear connector seal leaking, and its not shifting great on the 3-4 shift. So far I've looked at Gearstar and Rossler transmissions. The truck is just going to be a fun street/strip truck so I don't need anything really radical, but want to have room to grow power wise. Anyone have any other places they recommend? Trying not to spend a fortune on a new trans lol.

Gearstar Level 3 4l80e - Rated for 600hp, comes with 2800-3200 stall converter. $3500

Rossler Terminator 2 - Rated for 900hp, no converter. $3200

Neither of these prices include shipping.

67 SWB 6.0 LSX swap, 4/6 ECE Drop (Work in Progress)

2002 Victory Red ECSB Silverado 5.3 (DD)
67chevysupercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Oydllay

Re: 4l80e Builders

That's a pretty stout transmission even in stock form. Unless you are running slicks and have traction mods, you will never have enough traction to develop the torque to break it. I have been a transmission builder for almost 30 years now. All that billet this and super duty that is all well and good IF you actually need it. Street and occasionally dragged vehicles generally don't. Save some money, get a Jasper or other name brand reman, put an adjustable pressure riser in and call it a day.
Oydllay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
67chevysupercharged

Oydllay,

So you think that even with an aftermarket converter and hot 6.0, a stock reman would hold up ok? Traction will probably be my biggest problem with such stiff lowered springs and not wanting to run anything stickier than et streets.

-Zak

Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Oydllay

Yeah, like I said, that is a pretty tough trans. They were used in heavy trucks that haul heavy loads with big blocks and diesels. Car haulers, cube vans, duallys etc. One of those in a pickup truck has an easy life. Do you have a large enough cam to warrant a higher stall converter? Most cam manufacturers will recommend proper stall speed. I see people go way overboard here thinking it will make more power. IIRC stock stall on a small block gas application converter is 1700 to 1800 rpm. If your cam isn't too crazy you may be happier with the lower stall. That 6.0 will make some serious low end power. It's a shame to waste it with a lot of stall speed if you dont need it. Talk to your cam manufacturer if you haven't already. See what they recommend.
Oydllay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
72MARIO

The 2 factory onverters for 4L80E from my understanding are

GM81 application 6.5 , 7.4 Stall 1800-2000

GM82 application small block stall 2200-2400

I wanted to spend money on my 4l80 behind 6.0 in my trucks. My transmission builder strongly suggested not wasting the money on any more than a few small parts. No need for aftermarket input shafts. Now on my dad's 468 making 600+ ft of torque he did suggest the up grades including billet triple disk converter.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

We throw junkyard stock 4l80e's behind anything, until it makes enough power to break it. That # changes drastically depending on traction, tires, weight, gear etc. You need a converter to take advantage of the power and not be slushy, but as far as internals go, we usually leave em stock.

Once the discussion starts going north of 800, or into 4 digits..thats when you start considering aftermarket stuff...but the truth is even then, plenty of 4 digit cars have lived years on street miles with the trans. If your gonna bracket race it, or spend time on a trans brake and slicks, then the shock loading of the trans still will eat parts.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
67chevysupercharged

First off I wanted to say thank you for all the replies, I apologize for not getting back sooner as work was a little crazy the last week or two.

Oydllay - I will be making a call to Brian Tooley for a cam recommendation so I can figure out what stall speed I will need before I order a converter. And I've seen how impressive these transmissions are, I just didn't want to spend the money on a stock one only to have to upgrade that in a year or two.

72MARIO - What small parts did your builder happen to recommend?

Brew - I've seen a lot of turbo builds running stock transmissions, but I figured those guys just swapped them out every few months, would never have guessed they'd last that long. I guess I will get a price on a new 4l80e from Scoggin Dickey or Jasper. The truck will just be a fun street/strip truck with cam/converter and a few other bolt ons for a while until I decide it's not fast enough lol.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevysupercharged View Post
First off I wanted to say thank you for all the replies, I apologize for not getting back sooner as work was a little crazy the last week or two.

Oydllay - I will be making a call to Brian Tooley for a cam recommendation so I can figure out what stall speed I will need before I order a converter. And I've seen how impressive these transmissions are, I just didn't want to spend the money on a stock one only to have to upgrade that in a year or two.

72MARIO - What small parts did your builder happen to recommend?

Brew - I've seen a lot of turbo builds running stock transmissions, but I figured those guys just swapped them out every few months, would never have guessed they'd last that long. I guess I will get a price on a new 4l80e from Scoggin Dickey or Jasper. The truck will just be a fun street/strip truck with cam/converter and a few other bolt ons for a while until I decide it's not fast enough lol.
Boost cars can get away on them safer since when you're not in boost, you're not really putting that power into the trans. Loading them off the footbrake or the trans brake will put the screws to any trans. Big hit n20 cars tend to be the hardest on the stuff, they balloon converters etc. The only downsides to the 80e are weight and parasitic loss, but more when compared to a manual vs another auto.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
67chevysupercharged

Brew,

I definitely appreciate the insight. I'll try to make a couple calls to see what Scoggin Dickey or Jasper offer price wise, and then just order a good Circle D or Yank converter. Aside from cam and bolt ons the only other thing I may change to the truck any time soon is a small 100-150 shot of n2o, nothing too crazy. While I'm at it, has anyone used trans depot before? They seem to have a decent 4l80e for a more reasonable price with shift kit and full rebuild. Or are there any other recommended reman transmission companies?

http://www.transdepot.net/4L80E-Stag...-UP_p_317.html

Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Take a look at TCI converters also. Be aware that some aftermarket converters sold for the 80e aren't actually meant as lockup converters, which is something you'll want to retain if its a street miles car.

I've always found it easier to source a donor 80e, and have it rebuilt locally. Shipping the trans is freight (usually palleted).

Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #11
67chevysupercharged

Brew,

I'll make sure to check before I buy a converter that it is in fact a lockup converter. And unfortunately I have not found any reliable builders in my area, and the majority of them charge just as much to build one as it does to have one shipped to me. Thank you again for the info.

-Zak

Old 01-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I have had great customer service from pheonix transmission in Weatherford Tx

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/gm-transmissions/

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!