The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #51
ironadict

Re: Blueballz build thread

Rear upper bag mounts in. Thinking I'm just gonna weld a bag plate to the bar for the lower mount.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #52
ironadict

Ok haven't posted much lately. Been shopping for a house with the family and it is a hellish process. Found one thats way out of our price range and we are in process of closing now. Good thing is that it has a detached shop in back. Nothing huge but big enough. So I've kind of lost all motivation to work on it in my driveway. I did finally get my motor and trans. 5.3 iron block and 4l60e trans with 103k miles. Had the guy send me a video of it starting and running before they pulled and and comp tested it so at least I don't have to deal with that suspense. Also Got all my arms and links sanded down and painted. Went with rustolium aluminum/silver. Contemplating painting the whole frame silver. Seen a few pics of rods with all silver frames and they look pretty damn sick. Plus it won't look as dirty as black.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #53
lower50's

Congrats on the house!!
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #54
ironadict

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #55
DA68

That is some serious hardware and I dig the truck! Got to love those BBW's! I'm getting ready to purchase the same Scott's IFS for my 59 GMC BBW and would love to get your feedback (good, bad or indifferent) on their IFS. I spoke to them at Goodguys and they've been working to perfect this design for a while. Any thoughts are appreciated.
DA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #56
ironadict

DA68 thanks. I like the kit. I really like the a arms design. I see a lot of tubular control arms at shows but these are unique. The kit is pricy I think. Just slightly below porter built. I haven't driven the truck yet so I can't comment on handling. It does require more fitting then I expected. A couple things I do not like about it is that you are restricted to a 6" bag up front. I hate that but who knows it may end up riding fine. I also don't like that on this particular model truck I guess they can only give you 6-7" of tavel. So pretty much in the front of your ride you can only choose from low or slammed. When looking to buy they told me the kits get 10" of travel. Not so. One thing I loved about my old c10 was the lift i could get in front and back. I could ride into a show looking like a stock c10 and then just dump the **** out it.
I would avoid getting the column saver kit. Its expensive and you can buy a complete column and wheel and still have money for other parts for the price.
Over all I like the kit and what they offer. Its got a few things I don't like but I'm hoping that when its all together the good far out weighs the bad. And yeah it's hell of expensive but scotts will make you feel better about being broke by throwing in a free shirt and beer coozie.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #57
ironadict

Well there’s another kick in the nuts. Popped the engine and trans in to find out what drop of trans mount I needed and maybe weld in motor mounts. With the rack in I have to raise it up so high that even with 3 degrees angle the tail shaft is damn near at the top of my frame rails. Given I have the truck pan on right now but even with the new fancy Holley 302-2 oil pan I’ll only be able to lower it about 1 3/8”. I’m hoping that will get me where I want to be.
On top of that I need to move back more to have room for fans. Every set up I’ve seen is a total thickness of 6” with radiator shroud and fan. Being thickest at the center of the motor of course. Does anyone know of a radiator and fan set up for these trucks that is more low profile than 6”?
Ordered the Holley 302-2 oil pan tonight. Now to wait impatiently for it to arrive.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #58
ironadict

FINALLY!! After measuring what felt like a million times and taking multiple days adjusting and re measuring I finally got the motor mounts in. Got the holley 302-2 pan on and it clears just right. Looks like my headers should work fine. Only problem I had was I had to notch the big aluminum ac bracket on the bottom to clear a rack and pinion line.
Was gonna buy a universal trans crossmember but I figure why not save a hundred bucks and just fab one up. Wont be too pretty but oh well.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #59
lower50's

Sweet!!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #60
ironadict

threw an axle on the back so I could roll her up on a flat bed. Finally don't have to work on her out doors. Looking forward to being all the way moved out of our old place so I can have some shop therapy time.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #61
ironadict

Hope everyones Holidays were great. OK so I fanally got some shop therapy in!! Feels good to be working on the truck again and not the house. Few things I got done. We got the cab off. I got the last crossmember out under it and put in the fabled one thats notched for the drive shaft. When I first was planning this i just figured it would be the top piece with the 45 kicker on each end to add a little support to the frame rails. However when I was done with that I didn't like that the notch in the center allowed a little flex and it wasn't as sturdy as I'd hoped. So I got to thinking about putting a lower piece in.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #62
ironadict

So Thats what I did. Ran it under the frame rails to give enough room to run exhaust through it. Put a couple vertical supports next to the notch for support and now I also have a drive shaft "loop" in a way. Sturdy as hell now too.

Some one got a good shot of me giving my truck the ole reach around too.

On an Unrelated to truck note, we were blessed with a litter of 7 on Christmas night! We love this time of year. Puppies yapping and growing thought I'd share a couple pics of them.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #63
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironadict View Post
Hope everyones Holidays were great. OK so I fanally got some shop therapy in!! Feels good to be working on the truck again and not the house. Few things I got done. We got the cab off. I got the last crossmember out under it and put in the fabled one thats notched for the drive shaft. When I first was planning this i just figured it would be the top piece with the 45 kicker on each end to add a little support to the frame rails. However when I was done with that I didn't like that the notch in the center allowed a little flex and it wasn't as sturdy as I'd hoped. So I got to thinking about putting a lower piece in.
Pic #3...whoa...whoa...*tries to scrub eyes*

the pups...boxers?...naw there's some pit in there...nice brindle color!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 AM   #64
ironadict

Haha nope no pit. We breed AKC boxers. Yeah 4 flashy brindles 1 reverse brindle 1 flashy fawn and 1 classic fawn. Pretty good mix this time we’re excited.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #65
lower50's

Truck is looking good. Boxers are great dogs we had a boxer/old English bull dog she was funny as hell.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #66
ironadict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Truck is looking good. Boxers are great dogs we had a boxer/old English bull dog she was funny as hell.
Boxer and old E? That is an awesome mix. Isn’t it called a “Valley Bulldog”? I think I read something about that becomeing a new breed.

Nice build by the way, I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Nice work.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 AM   #67
ironadict

been too long since Ive posted. Heres what Ive been up to. Got the Air tank mounts set up.

Then The fun task of finding shocks that would compress low enough to lay out but extend enough to have a decent ride hight. I went with a monroe that compresses to 11.97 and extends to 19.66. once I get it all together I'm going when its played out its got some more play and maybe I can get a shock that will allow me to get the back higher so my link bars are in a better position at ride hight.

Decided to go with an engine driven sanded 508 for a compressor so i won't have to worry about finding a place to mount an electric one in the back.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #68
lower50's

Looking good Glad to see you are still working on it. Yes they are called Valley Bulldogs. Sanded 508 compressor can you give some more details please?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #69
ironadict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Looking good Glad to see you are still working on it. Yes they are called Valley Bulldogs. Sanded 508 compressor can you give some more details please?
Sorry for the typo auto correct is a ****er. Sanden 508. It’s a common ac compressor. There are a lot of people that convert them to use as an air compressor instead of refrigerant compressor. I ran a York 210 on my c10 so I’m kind of spoiled but the Sanden should be pretty quick too. Plus theres a company locally that converts them to high temp grease and sells them to the 4x4 crowd so I’ll prob just pick one up from them. Here’s a pic of one.
Attached Images

Last edited by ironadict; 04-26-2018 at 08:46 AM.
ironadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:12 AM   #70
Nut Case

Strong work! Looks like you could land a 747 on your frame!!!!
Like I always say " over kill is under rated ".

How can I get in touch with the company that converts AC pump to just an air compressor?

Nut Case
Old 04-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #71
ironadict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
Strong work! Looks like you could land a 747 on your frame!!!!
Like I always say " over kill is under rated ".

How can I get in touch with the company that converts AC pump to just an air compressor?

Nut Case
Thanks man

Here’s the link man. If you got the room I highly recommend just getting a York 210 reman off eBay. Much cheaper and higher cfm. It’s easier to find mounting brackets though for the Sanden.

https://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...3+006-001.html
Old 04-29-2018, 03:47 AM   #72
Nut Case

Thanks pard.... I'll be following

Nut Case
Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #73
ironadict

Got a lot done the last couple weeks. Got the rear end put back together (last time I ever go with a 9 bolt) mocked up everything and plumbed some temp air to see it cycle and set up sensor locations. Cycles great. Looks like the lift is decent and it lays until it hits the old leaf spring hangers which is right where the rockers sit.

https://youtu.be/t_qbgB3-vwo
https://youtu.be/CpQJoyhjcCQ

Heres a few shots of how the headers fit. Close in a couple places but didn't have to trim anything. These are speed engineering c10 ls swap headers. Looks like I may need to heat up the coupling and just dent it in a bit because it hangs about 1/4" below the leaf spring hangers.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #74
ironadict

Finally bit the bullet and started on the rust repair on the cab. Of course there's more than I thought. Gonna need new inner and outer hinge pockets. the hinge support panels on the inside of the door frame, floor boards, cab supports and new steps eventually. I think I'm gonna save those for later though cause I'm running short on funds.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #75
lower50's

Nice looking headers. Suspension looks good.