The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
Green Monster

OE LED Jeep Wrangler Headlights?

Have you considered installing a 2017-2018 factory OE LED headlight (bottom image in this post) from a Jeep Wrangler?

An observer might mistake these modern technology LED headlights as traditional headlights. They might look good on a classic vehicle providing a conservative look with improved modern lighting technology without detracting from the look of a classic vehicle. Most aftermaket LED headlights designed for Jeeps are blacked out or have projecotor lenses that dont quite look right on classic vehicles.

These LED headlights can be purchased for $200 per unit, used, on ebay so for $400 you could potentially upgrade to modern lighting and keep the classic look.

I've already replaced my headlights with H4 Hella sealed beam conversion headlights (1st and 4th images) but below is my attempt at seeing what OE Wrangler headlights (2nd and 4th images) might look like

What are your thoughts on putting Jeep Headlights on a classic ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 02-26-2018 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Corrected Headlights description from HID to LED.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Lieferson

Re: OE HID Jeep Wrangler Headlights?

IMO, the Hella H4 conversion housings with an LED H4 bulb in them is the best bang for your buck to maintain the classic look and have bright headlights.
1972 K5 3/4 ton PROJECT Sold
Lieferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Green Monster

I agree. Honestly, for only $70, I could not ask for the Hella H4 sealed beam conversion to perform any better. The beam pattern is wide witwithout noticable hot spots. It has a sharp cut off and like HID projectors headlights.

Still though, it would be nice to have modern LED headlight technology without the trendy look.

I'll stick with the Hellas for a while.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
SeventyOne

Can you link to the Hella lights you use? Are you running the upgraded wiring harness with relays?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Green Monster

I purchased the Hella headlights (002395801) and wire harness with relays upgrade from Amazon. I have not installed the harness yet but will when the weather warms up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XH...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Green Monster; 02-26-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
SeventyOne

thanks for posting. Wow the painless relay kit is $190. That's quite the price variance...

https://buypainless.com/products/30815?
Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Green Monster

Ouch! $190? Not so painless on the wallet.

$22.50 is much easier to swallow.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
GMC-YA68

I like the look of them. As long as they don't have color changing halo rings and stuff like that!!! haha

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
SeventyOne

I also saw someone linking to this harness for the relay upgrade:

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/rly-1.shtml
Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 AM   #10
Spf79

Good information, this is on my to do list, thank you all for posting up the links. I like the looks of the H4 sealed beams the best.

Question...
Are the h4 bulbs just as bright as the HID set up?
My night vision has progressively gotten worse in the last couple of years, so I'm looking for the best option where I can see and not blind oncoming traffic.

Just curious for your opinions, thank you.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Green Monster

I'm with you... my vision certainly isn't getting any better.

The Hella H4 setup is a significant improvement to the Sylvania Silverstar sealed beam (6024) that I had previously, IMO. Hella is not US DOT approved and I've read that this is because headlights are designed for European (left hand drive vehicles/right side of the road like US) with a sharp cutoff. Further down road lighting is almost non existent so it's imperative that you aim these headlights properly and use you high beams whenever oncoming drivers are not visible.

The color and performace is not as bright white as HID or LED headlights but much still whiter and brighter than standard halogen sealed beam headlights.

Overall, I am impressed with the performance if the Hellas, especially for the price.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Richard2112

Interesting upgrade. Great idea.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
Lieferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
Good information, this is on my to do list, thank you all for posting up the links. I like the looks of the H4 sealed beams the best.

Question...
Are the h4 bulbs just as bright as the HID set up?
My night vision has progressively gotten worse in the last couple of years, so I'm looking for the best option where I can see and not blind oncoming traffic.

Just curious for your opinions, thank you.
I took the Hella conversion housing and replaced the bulbs with an H4 LED bulb off of Amazon. It made a huge difference in brightness. This photo is a comparison of the factory headlamp vs. a hella conversion housing with an H4 HID set up. I later switched to an LED bulb because i didnt like the "Flicker" effect of the cheap HIDs
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
Green Monster

Curious.. do you still get the sharp cutoff with the LED low beams, like that of a halogen in this housing?
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #15
Lieferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
Curious.. do you still get the sharp cutoff with the LED low beams, like that of a halogen in this housing?
Yep, the bulbs have LEDs on all sides just like a halogen, wont be perfect like the halogen but its 10X brighter
Old 02-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
mister.freeze

My conversion cost less than $100:
Projector housings with halos (your choice of color) $35
H4 LED’s $35
Custom LED circuits to make the halos into DRL/turn signals FREE (Xmas present)
Done. All on Amazon.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
Spf79

Quote:
I'm with you... my vision certainly isn't getting any better.

The Hella H4 setup is a significant improvement to the Sylvania Silverstar sealed beam (6024) that I had previously, IMO. Hella is not US DOT approved and I've read that this is because headlights are designed for European (left hand drive vehicles/right side of the road like US) with a sharp cutoff. Further down road lighting is almost non existent so it's imperative that you aim these headlights properly and use you high beams whenever oncoming drivers are not visible.

The color and performace is not as bright white as HID or LED headlights but much still whiter and brighter than standard halogen sealed beam headlights.

Overall, I am impressed with the performance if the Hellas, especially for the price.
Great! Thank you for the insight, extremely helpful!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieferson View Post
I took the Hella conversion housing and replaced the bulbs with an H4 LED bulb off of Amazon. It made a huge difference in brightness. This photo is a comparison of the factory headlamp vs. a hella conversion housing with an H4 HID set up. I later switched to an LED bulb because i didnt like the "Flicker" effect of the cheap HIDs
Awesome, thank you. I am a little ways out from headlight instalation... but I am thinking LED is the way to go. I ran some cheap HID conversion set up in another project and was not happy with it. I hope LED is the answer for me.

Have a good week!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #19
mister.freeze

The LED light quality is very different. I’ve had Halogens and HID’s. We all know what Halogens are like, and HID is better, but the LED light seems to illuminate better and doesn’t so much shine as it glows. It’s almost as if things light up with their own light and reflections aren’t nearly as harsh. I find it easier on my aging eyes to see more. To me, it’s akin to how things can be easier to see under bright moonlight than a powerful flashlight.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:22 AM   #20
Green Monster

Quote:
I purchased the Hella headlights (002395801) and wire harness with relays upgrade from Amazon. I have not installed the harness yet but will when the weather warms up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XH...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is an update for anyone considering this $25 headlight harness from Amazon with relays designed to improve lighting.

I installed it yesterday afternoon and it was plug and play- no cutting, no crimping and no soldering. The universal harness with relays was exactly the right length as if it was designed specifically for a 72 Blazer. The ceramic female connectors for plugging into the headlights was a nice surprise upgrade over my expectation of original plastic style connectors. This will help prevent the harness from deforming due to heat. The wire harness was easy to hide allowing me to maintain a stock engine bay appearance. The H4 conversion headlights stay nice and bright, even at idle.

A drastic improvement over the Sylvania Silverstar that I had to keep replacing frequently. The $92 spent on this harness and Hella H4 conversation was worth every penny.

Last edited by Green Monster; 04-22-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
hemi43

Be glad you're not building a truck in Canada. Here's the prices we have to pay plus 13% sales tax. Can anyone get me a green card? LOL

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/catal...LLA+002395801+
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #22
stangtjk

Don't see where anyone commented on using the OEM Jeep headlights.... I didn't go OEM but I did install a set of aftermarket Jeep headlights.

They will not fit in the stock headlight buckets. I tried trimming the headlight buckets to make them fit but it was a lost cause...... No way to aim them properly after that. Not one to give up I decided to ditch the stock headlight buckets and picked up some aftermarket mounting rings that are made to mount the Wrangler headlights into a Harley. Had to drill a few holes in the core support and make some spacers but I got them mounted. They plugged in and worked fine with no special wiring or relays other than hooking up the halos.

I assume the OEM Jeep headlights are similar as far as mounting goes.
Attached Images

stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #23
Green Monster

Stangtjk- Thank you for providing a response. Looks like quite a bit of effort went onto installing those lights. Looks great!

Just curious, were you eventually able to get the trim bezel to fit around the new headlights? The bezel appears to not be installed in the photos you provided.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #24
stangtjk

The bezels fit fine just didn't have them on.
stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #25
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieferson View Post
It has been a while so here is an update this thread. The LED bulbs replaced the halogen H4 in the Hella H4 conversion housings and the results we amazing. The headlights appear stock during the day but at night they provide ample light with a sharp cutoff as Lieferson explained in an earlier post.

As nice as the stock Jeep headlights, the Hella housing with an H4 LED is a great upgrade while maintaining a stock appearance during the day.

1st photo is with high beam.
2nd photo is with low beam.
3rd photo shows beam pattern on the garage door with sharp cutoff. (The last photo is prior to changing the out the dash lights with Yorkim white LED 194 bulbs.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 07-25-2019 at 11:07 AM.