The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
More454

Need Advice

I have been a member of this site for awhile and mostly pick my info out of existing threads. Haven't been able to find one on this.

I have a 78 GMC 2WD Longbed with a 454. I am looking to level it, but want to raise the front end 1.5 - 2" to more closely resemble the stance of the stock 4WD version. What is the best way to accomplish the lift and what will be effected by it?

Thank for any input.
More454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Need Advice

I would start my search by comparing some Moog replacement stock C10 BBC springs w/some that are spec'd for a C30 BBC/diesel. They might offer extra length to give some lift. Trade off will possibly be rougher ride & prob affect the camber curve which would be noticed in drivability.

You can also look into having some spec'd rate taller springs made from an aftermarket spring company (Eaton Detroit Spring etc). Ride wouldn't change as much if the spring rate remains consistent but again the drivability might suffer.

Some guys have successfully used 2wd lift spindles for an 88-98 but it requires swapping a-arms, calipers, rotors & they're 3" of lift (prob more than it would take to get you level).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
Gmc.guy

I did the same thing with a shortbed years ago. I used a pair of springs off the shelf in a junk yard. I think they might have been from an early I beam ford? They were a almost a foot taller than my stock springs but were close to same wire and diameter. I trimmed I think 4 or 5 coils so that they had an extra coil? Or so than stock? I would say it was just like cutting 2 coils and hitting your bumpstops but backwards, like no up travel left - if that makes sense. I did retrim and install a few times. It levelled the truck with a 1.5" block in the back. It aligned good and drove well but bumps were harsh and they didn't stay too long after that winter drivability definitely was not 100%. Sorry the details are fuzzy. It was a long time ago. I thought it might help you out.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
More454

I appreciate the replies.

I am I Southern Arizona, no winter driving to worry about, but I do love the ride in my truck, just don't like the stance.

I am leaning towards having some custom springs made to hopefully preserve the ride quality but give the appearance that I am after.

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I would talk to the guys at Arizona Spring on Grant Rd. They can tell you what would be best. I remember having horseshoe spacers placed under the front springs of my 63 Corvette when I was a youngster. It did lift a couple of inches but stiffened the already stiff ride. Twist in inter-coil spacers were also popular back in the day.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
More454

Arizona Spring was what I was thinking as well. Thanks again.