The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
mr48chev

AD vin/ title question for Oregon guys

I bought a Chevy cab and chassis that has an Oregon title

The title is dated 1981 and is clear as far as I can tell. Now here is the but, the vin number on the title doesn't match the vin on the truck nor does it match any Chevrolet AD truck vin numbers that I can find on vin decoding site.

There is no plant number at the start as there is on all of the AD truck vin's I have seen the listed vin starts out JCA********* Would this be the engine number?

Also the title shows the truck as a 50 although it is a 51 and the vin on the tag shows that it is a 51 4400 series 1-1/2 ton 161in wb truck which it is.
I know that some states titled vehicles for they year they were sold new at times rather then the factory year model and figure that might be the case here.

Any ideas?
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: AD vin/ title question for Oregon guys

I think you have it figured out already. The number on the title probable matches the original motor, and the truck is a '51 sold late in '50.

Check that serial number you have against the number stamped in the pad just behind the distributor. It probably matches.

If you have the state police inspect it before you pull the motor (provided it matches) you should be able to change the title to the body serial number. I did that some years ago with a truck that came out of Texas. I first got the paperwork in my own name then played the rest of the game.

Oh, and while I do live in Washington, I was born in Oregon so I felt free to respond....

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com

Last edited by Steve@OldSub.com; 05-09-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: AD vin/ title question for Oregon guys

I was born in Oregon too, and spend time there with my family, so...

Steve's comment is the easy step, if the motor does not match then you will probably need a bonded title. Assuming you have a good bill of sale with the title holders name on it the state will do a search in there records and if the name on the bill of sale matches the records they will issue a bonded title. This allows for public notice for anyone having a legal interest in the vehicle to come forward. If after a period of time no one comes forward the title is converted to a regular one probably with the body number. In some case the State may assign a number with their tag riveted to the truck.

If you get lucky all they may require is for the bill of sale to be notarized or a notarized affidavit from the seller.

In this mornings newpaper there was an article about stolen rigs being sold in other states on CL so the registration folks are getting really sensitive about this. Not impossible but expect your patience to be tested.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote