The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
bikerbomber

How can I bypass the neutral safety switch?

Hey guys, my truck's (1988 c1500 4.3 w/5spd) neutral(or clutch?) safety switch has been acting up since I beat the hell out of it trying to bleed the clutch master cylinder and I was hoping to just bypass it. Can I simply join the wires to complete the circuit or does it need something else? My truck has the purple and yellow wires to the switch if it matters. Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
scotts62
One day...

Re: How can I bypass the neutral safety switch?

If the switch is normally open and when you press the clutch it closes the circuit then just wire them together. Just be sure everyone knows that it is like that... I had an auto start on mine and had to be sure to leave it in neutral and luckily i never had any accidents and probably wasnt the brightest of moves

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
1badgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
If the switch is normally open and when you press the clutch it closes the circuit then just wire them together. Just be sure everyone knows that it is like that... I had an auto start on mine and had to be sure to leave it in neutral and luckily i never had any accidents and probably wasnt the brightest of moves
ha...A kid in a car club I used to be in had an Acura Integra with a 5-speed that he did that to so he could have a remote start. The kid wasn't too bright. He forgot to leave it in neutral one day and sent the car through his garage when he went to start it. DOH!
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
scotts62
One day...

Ya it looks cool on someone elses car when it tries to start for 30 seconds and waits a few and does it again

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Meatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
ha...A kid in a car club I used to be in had an Acura Integra with a 5-speed that he did that to so he could have a remote start. The kid wasn't too bright. He forgot to leave it in neutral one day and sent the car through his garage when he went to start it. DOH!
I knew a guy in high school who did one better. He had a Honda....go figure. He was showing to some of his buddies how he could roll windows up and down and do all kinds of other stuff. He started the car and was standing in front of it. Car hopped curb and ran him over and pinned him up against wall. It was pretty bad. He was in hospital for a while.

Anyway...I think the switches are adjustable. But otherwise Im sure they are really cheap and definitely a good idea too have, especially if anyone else ever drives the truck.
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
bloertcher

Just buy the switch and fix it correctly.It's there for a reason,and the fact that it MIGHT keep someone from getting hurt or killed is all the reason you need to justify the cost.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
bikerbomber

I have no plans to add a remote start to the car at this point. And I am the only one who ever drives my truck now-a-days. After getting it damaged in minor ways the last two times I borrowed it out, I learned my lesson.

I'll join the wires and see if that does the trick.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Orangette

I joined the wires on my '87 f150, no problems.
Orangette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Cause: [safety switch has been acting up since I beat the hell out of it trying to bleed the clutch master cylinder ]

Hey many of us have been to that point ya know. But why not fix it the right way and replace the bad switch? It's there for a real good reason. If not your own safety then someone else's. You think you will be the only one to drive it but how bout the guy you sell it to or the garage that works on it or a friend helping you boost it off. I know a man who got both his legs broken when standing between cars while boosting one off. It was his daughter who turned the key. He was in the wrong place but point is it happened.
I'm not slammin you for wanting to save a buck but these switches are normally less than 20 bucks.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
bikerbomber

I understand what you guys are saying, and I will be replacing the switch, but payday is still a week off and I have to have a truck that can start and enough money to eat. I'm a poor working man and when you only have $25 bucks in the bank to last a week for food and gas, $12 is a lot of money.

What is important to me right now is getting to work reliably for the next 5 days and if jumping the wires so that happens is what I need to do, then I will do it until I get the switch. You guys need to remember that sometimes people can't afford even a $12 part. Haven't any of you guys had to make temporary fixes just to make it until you could fix it right?

So anyway, thanks for the help Orangette and scotts62. I understand where the rest of ya'll are coming from and I know you mean well, I just can't get that part yet. I'll let you guys know once I replace it! Cheers!