The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #26
MASTERBrian

Re: 1960 Eaton rear diff?

Here's the latest. I really like idea of the 3.90 with posi for the cruising town hot rod effect. That said, my differential obviously needs attention. I have opportunity to grab another one of these, which I'm highly considering. That might give me spare parts, but if it's not posi, not sure how much that might help.

I called a local salvage today and they have a 12 bolt gm, 6 lug, from a 1969. He said it was coil with trailing arm and he said it should be direct bolt on for my truck. My understanding is from mid to late 60's-70, width is the same. SO, if I go that route what is the hidden issues? Is it truly unholy and rebolt? What about drive shaft, etc? The only downfall to me is that it is 3.07 gearing and not posi. Honestly the posi isn't deal valley, but what I have sounds fun for what I want. I realize the 3.07 can be swapped and maybe that's what I'll wish I had if I stay with mine.

Salvage wants $250, is that fair or too much?

Any suggestions or recommendations here? I realize if I do the swap parts are available....
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #27
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A '69 truck 12 bolt is not s direct swap into a '60-'62 truck. The trailing arm mounts are closer together and the panhard bar is different. However this is the route I would definitely go, but $250 for a 3.07 geared open diff is too much in my opinion. But that is based on prices in my area. The value of these parts varies greatly in different parts of the country. The 3.90 gears will definitely be more fun around town, but they will suck out on the freeway. Although if I remember correctly are you installing a 700R4? If so that will make those gears more tolerable on the freeway.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:55 AM   #28
MASTERBrian

I decided to stay with the T350. I think I'll pick up the free eaton and see if it'll put mine together correctly. I agree the $250 sounds steep so I think I'll look around a bit more and hope I can get through for a while between the two. Especially if the twelve bolt isn't a direct swap, I'll have to pay someone to weld the new mounts.

Thanks for all of your help.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote