The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #51
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 1993 C1500 project: 4.3L to 7.4L swap > 454SS clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharris29 View Post
Truck looks great!! Hey was wondering what kind of motor mounts did you buy and where did you get them? Im currently finishing my 454 i have for my 94 single cab shortbed gmc k1500 4x4 with a 4.3L 4l60e transmission. also did you have to change the computer and harness? im getting close to dropping it in, i just want to make sure i have everything thats needed.
Welcome to the forums Jharris29!

The engine mounts are Energy Suspension mounts inserts that I ordered through Summit Racing. Don’t bother with Napa mounts or any of the dime store part house mounts as they won’t last. My 8.1L just ate a set of Napa mounts so I’ve been using these Energy mounts on all projects moving forward. You will need to get a set of old mounts and saddles from the salvage yard though.

I just reworked the 4.3L harness and Howell Engine Developments did the ECM tuning.

Wow, you have your work cut out doing a V8 swap in a 4x4 as the lower control arms must be removed in order to get into the frame to hold the engine mount nuts. This also means on a 4x4 you will have to deal with the torsion bars. Big hassle.

Stupid GM engineers for hiding these nuts up there. What a hassle!

These is the mounts from my ’78 with the 8.1L. Same deal as this truck though. Energy insert on the left dead Napa mount on right.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #52
Jharris29

thanks for the quick response, im not really looking forward to doing allllll this work but its been my dream to have the 454 in this truck with the 4x4 it would be a blast. but the problem is finding the place to do all this work sense i do not own a garage. as far as the torsion bars, don't i only need to crank them to make the truck sit level again i know the truck will ride stiffer but i dont care really haha. this isnt my daily driver. I'm not sure of any shops around here that will tune my ECM for the 454, so would it be easier to find a 2500 possibly and take the firewall forward harness and computer. i have done the 454 swaps in the 1500 2wds just not a 4x4, those were also carb'd
Jharris29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #53
TonawandaKid

Nice work Larry
Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #54
simobones454

Top job man, looks spot on.If only had gotten onto this thread earlyer, have a factory 1990 454ss bbc complete for sale all origional, pulled it out to replace with big horsepower blown bbc.
simobones454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #55
truckfan

lurking.......
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #56
DirtyLarry

Smile Sex change....manual to auto swap

Another swaperoo project on father in-laws 454SS clone. This time the 5 speed manual is getting booted in favor of an automatic. There is nothing wrong with the NV3500, or Getrag whichever it is, but FIL is getting tired of rowing his own gears now that he is in his 70’s. The fact he already roasted the new clutch I put in it just 6,000 miles ago is another reason it is getting an automatic.

With that I’ve been collecting all the goods the last few months to make this truck look as factory as possible by using as many stock parts as possible. Yeah, yeah, yeah…. The truck could really use a 4L80E behind the 454 but I haven’t had any luck in finding one for the right price but a 40,000 mile 4L60E GM SERTA out of a ’99 Suburban popped up for $400 so I grabbed it and will run with it until it shoots craps. If it does then I'll look into a 4L80E.

I originally intended to run the 4L60E on the ECM that is already in the truck until I studied the wiring diagrams for a ’93 C1500 automatic equipped truck vs. a manual equipped truck and there are way too many wiring colors and pin positions in the ECM that are different between the two. With that, I decided to go with a stand-alone trans controller. I got lucky and ended up getting a great deal from a local member that had a brand new TCI EZ-TCU still in the box. I usually don't like to run aftermarket stuff like this but I’ll give it a shot. Not like this truck is a desert off-roadster like my K10 where I worry about breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Seems like aftermarket electronics are always the first thing to fail. We'll see how good TCI's stuff is!

Believe it or not so far the hardest part to find for this project was a dang automatic/tilt steering column! Crimany, I searched boneyards for two weeks for one. Every stinking one I found was either damaged in the accident that put the truck in the junkyard or they were completely missing. While I was cruising our local salvage yard red light district a few weekends ago getting more and more discouraged with every yard I visited I spotted a ’93 C1500 Silverado sitting in small fenced yard and I could see the steering wheel was still visible so I knew it still had a column but I couldn’t see an auto shift lever sticking up. I cased the place for a while and couldn’t really tell how to get in or who owned the lot so I went back to one of the other yards to ask who it belonged to. Come to find out the yard belongs to a construction company and some guy just pulled up and opened the gate so I quickly ran over to ask him if he was interested in selling any parts off the C1500 and he said "si". Not sure what else he said as my Spanish isn't that great

$50 later and I had me a decent GMT400 Saginaw auto/tilt column in hand along with the auto trans shift linkages and a few end connectors I snipped off various sensors. The truck I pulled it from sat for god only knows how long without a driver’s door window so I ended up rebuilding the top end of the column with several new AC Delco pieces (turn signal switch, multifunction switch, new upper bearing and new key cylinder). Of course the 4 bolts that are famous for coming loose were loose as a goose so I ripped the column down to the nub and gave it the full treatment including a new paint job.

One with the progress pictures so far…

After I got the column back together and sprayed some fresh satin black interior paint on it. It was badly weathered from sitting with the window down for so long

Before tear down. This truck is very clean for being 21 years old! My FIL got it when was a year old and had 10,000 miles on it.

Let the thrashing begin

Also a great time to rid the truck of the extra wires from of a dealer installed alarm system and remote keyless entry system that never worked anyway. It was only good for draining the battery.

Cluster before adding the PRNDL

After

Auto column installed, clutch pedal assembly removed, small manual trans brake pedal assembly removed and replaced with the larger auto brake pedal. Got a new brake pedal pad on order. When it is done it will look like it was born with an automatic.

FIL will be surprised. He knows it is getting an automatic but probably doesn’t expect it to look like factory even down to the PRNDL shift indicator. He is probably envisioning a hokey Lokar floor shifter with the clutch pedal tied up under the dash like a lot of other people would do

Next order of business is to remove the manual trans, fill the shift lever hole in the floor and start installing the new flexplate and trans as well as the shift linkages. Got some minor rewiring to do for the neutral safety switch and backup lights too. After that will come plumbing the trans cooler and wiring up the TCI TCU. Oh, and I have a new ECM PROM to throw in it now that it needs an updated tune for a slushbox. The tune is for a 7.4L with a non-electric TH400. Fuel and spark tables are quite a different between manuals and automatics.

One thing I am doing that is not factory is going with AN fittings and hose for the trans coolers although I am using both the factory radiator housed trans cooler and external auxiliary cooler. AN is a PITA to figure out the right combination of fittings but the factory lines are pretty sucktastic and known for leaking at the compression crimps.

That’s it for now
Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #57
BigBlocksRule

Tried to PM you but no link. May be interested in the MPFI you took off of the 454 if you still have it and want to sell. Email me direct at 81vette4speed@suddenlink.net
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #58
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Re: Sex change....manual to auto swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
FIL will be surprised. He knows it is getting an automatic but probably doesn’t expect it to look like factory even down to the PRNDL shift indicator. He is probably envisioning a hokey Lokar floor shifter with the clutch pedal tied up under the dash like a lot of other people would do
Not if he's seen the work you've done on your trucks! You don't impress me as the type to do anything half-baked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #59
Drewkimble48

Did you need to wire anything for the tach or were you able to just put the instrument cluster?
Drewkimble48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #60
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Tried to PM you but no link. May be interested in the MPFI you took off of the 454 if you still have it and want to sell. Email me direct at 81vette4speed@suddenlink.net

If I still had the marine MPFI unit I surely wouldn’t be running TBI on this thing

Sold that intake a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Not if he's seen the work you've done on your trucks! You don't impress me as the type to do anything half-baked.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkimble48 View Post
Did you need to wire anything for the tach or were you able to just put the instrument cluster?
Adding a factory tachometer cluster is just plug and play. The connector in the dash where the cluster plugs into is already wired for a tach.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #61
lha1992

Quote:

Adding a factory tachometer cluster is just plug and play. The connector in the dash where the cluster plugs into is already wired for a tach.
I was going to mention its not all plug an play for all years of these trucks if you are adding a factory tach cluster. Anything 1991 back to 1988 has everything in it that's needed for it to run. While anything 1992 they have a DRAC module that is external that if you get a 1992 or newer cluster an add it to a earlier truck you must install a DRAC first and switch connectors due to the switch in 1992.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #62
DirtyLarry

Well whatever, but I can tell you on this 1993 I removed a 1993 non-tach cluster in installed a NOS 1993 tach cluster and it was straight out plug and play. Been running it for 6,000 miles and the tach and speedo work just as they should.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #63
lha1992

Quote:
Well whatever, but I can tell you on this 1993 I removed a 1993 non-tach cluster in installed a NOS 1993 tach cluster and it was straight out plug and play. Been running it for 6,000 miles and the tach and speedo work just as they should.
Yes for anything 1992 an newer its gonna all be plug an play no need to change the plug or install an DRAC since yours is a 1993 truck. BTW I really like this build!!! Bet your FIL really has fun with that truck hahaha.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #64
DirtyLarry

Thanks iha1992!

Well, all of the easy stuff is done. Column, pedal, and trans is all done. Going to be tied up for a week but when I get back on it the week of the 14th it will be time to start the cooler plumbing and wiring. It’s going to need some driveshaft work too as the Getrag shaft is too long and the yoke is too big. Also going to have some fitment issues with the shift linkage at the LH exhaust pipe. Probably going to have to just cut the pipe then have the exhaust shop rerun the LH pipe. We’ll see!!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #65
SSC's76
No No

[QUOTE=DirtyLarry;6603939]

Believe it or not so far the hardest part to find for this project was a dang automatic/tilt steering column! Crimany, I searched boneyards for two weeks for one. Every stinking one I found was either damaged in the accident that put the truck in the junkyard or they were completely missing.

Dang Larry I am sorry I don't visit the board much but crud could have helped ya out I have one sitting in a corner of storage collecting dust. These things are impossible to find locally a buddy picked it up in Denver at a swap meet thinking it would fit my truck.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #66
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
Dang Larry I am sorry I don't visit the board much but crud could have helped ya out I have one sitting in a corner of storage collecting dust. These things are impossible to find locally a buddy picked it up in Denver at a swap meet thinking it would fit my truck.
Haha, that is always how that works. I didn’t post anything on this until after anyway so you wouldn’t have known I was looking for a tilt/auto column. $50 was a good deal on the column and other goodies I found anyway. I'll keep you in mind if I need another though
Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #67
DirtyLarry

Well, she is DONE! Between work and being out of town for vacation it took longer than planned but at least she is ready to go back to my father in-law.

Those that know me know I am usually not a fan of aftermarket electronics but I have to say that I am VERY impressed with this TCI EZ-TCU kit. They could really do a nicer job with the routing and clipping of their harness but that is nothing an end user can’t clean up for a specific install. That said, the programming and actual performance of their kit is outstanding. I was shocked! If their TCU is durable and provides years of trouble free service I’ll be even more impressed. Although only 1 of 3 people on their Techline provided quality and accurate help. After reading their instructions I was concerned the gears would not be manually selected by the shifter. In other words, when you put the lever in 2nd would it hold second. The guy on their tech line said no, I would need their paddle shifter. Not true, as it turns out the lever does hold gears. I called again for speedo help and that guy really got me all screwed up with the stock speedo buffer. Only one guy was any help when I called about using the tach signal at the ECM instead of stretching wires under the hood.

The TCU itself is located under the seat and all connections were made at the ECM. I planned to install the TCU in the glove box near the ECM but there just was not enough room.

I did end up removing a few things from their harness I would never use such as the paddle shifter lead, mechanical speedo driver lead, manual TCC apply lead and the second TPS lead.

Used the old hydro clutch hole and grommet to run the back up light circuit back into the cab to be plugged into the switch at the base of the auto steering column.

Made a plate to plug the old manual shifter hole. It is glued and screwed to the floor

The auto trans shifter linkage would not clear the exhaust so it had to be cut.

Made cooler lines to the radiator and aux cooler out of AN bits. Turned out alright and don’t even have any leaks yet. Suprising as my luck building my own AN lines has not been good in the past. Time will tell.

Used a cheap piece of flex pipe to get it go the exhaust shop to have a new LH downpipe built. My buddy fixed me right up with a new section that cleared the shift linkage. His new pipe sure looked nicer than my flex pipe too

Finished interior looks as if it never was a manual trans. Used new ACC carpet

Before

All in all it turned out great. I also installed a new ECM PROM while I was at it. Between the auto swap and the new PROM from tbichips.com I am very happy with the way it turned out. I wouldn’t call this truck superfast but it runs great and does one hell of a one tire fire burn out. Video coming shortly
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #68
beamn7

Looks good Larry! Nice Job!
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #69
cjracing15

As ALWAYS Larry you did a amazing job of making a very clean install. Great work!
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #70
benoit454
Chris

any chance you kept those v6 mounting plates that bolt on the frame?

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #71
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
any chance you kept those v6 mounting plates that bolt on the frame?
No sorry Chris. The guy that bought the 4.3L took them to mount the engine in some old car.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #72
benoit454
Chris

that's alright. I'm looking for a set to put a 4.3 in my 88.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #73
Myers horsepower

Dirtylarry,
I had some questions about the 454 you used on this install,
What Cam and Intake, did you use so you didn't have any problems with the TBI and programming?
I'm wanting to do a upgrade on my 1990 454
1970 K20 350/th350
Myers horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #74
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers horsepower View Post
Dirtylarry,
I had some questions about the 454 you used on this install,
What Cam and Intake, did you use so you didn't have any problems with the TBI and programming?
I'm wanting to do a upgrade on my 1990 454
The cam is stock to the 454HO and the intake is a carbureted Edelbrock I had laying around with a TBI adapter plate. OH YES, I had major PROM tuning issues with this thing. I went through 3 different tuners to get it running right which ultimately lead to replacing the trans to an automatic because nobody could get the programming correct with the manual trans to keep it from dying at a sudden stop. My FIL wanted an automatic anyway as he is in his 70’s and tired of shifting. TBIchip .com did the best with the tune that is in it now.

I’ll tell you this, I would never mess with a TBI custom project like this ever again. Pee on TBI and archaic speed density calculation management…. TBI is a great system and very reliable but it is much better off just being left perfectly stock or you’ll chase your tail forever getting them to run right. Although, if you have access to someone that can do a live tune you would have much better luck getting them running great sooner than later. Doing data logging, emailing data files to the tuner then waiting for a new prom to arrive a few days later to test over and over and over and over is just a headache and very time consuming. If I could do it over again, I would have used an L29 intake with port injection running MAF and OBDII as that would have been much easier to tune. It took two years of screwing around but it runs 98% of how I want it too. It feels like it has some fuel puddling going in the intake after a long hard pull at wide open throttle so I plan to replace the carb intake with a genuine TBI intake. In the end, don’t mess with a TBI engine. Leave it stock

Here is the truck now….it went into the body shop last week for paint.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #75
RUN GMC

Not mine just saw these on craigslist in my area..........

1990-92' CHEVY SILVERADO TRUCK ( SS 454 WHEELS &CAPS w/tires ) *** - $350

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/pts/4910519085.html
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote