The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Techstudent

64 Burb Rescue?

Hey all,

Pretty new to the forum and I have been ogling a 64 suburban 4x4 in a town adjacent to mine. It has a manual 4 speed on the floor and straight-six (owner said 292) but I am not familiar enough to confirm this. Interior is complete and seemingly in good condition.

In any event, I stopped last November to ask the owner if he cared to sell and he was on the fence at the time. I finally stopped for a second time yesterday and he was willing to sell and we agreed on a price that I can manage and he is happy with. We shook on it so, for all intents and purposes, it's a deal and he said he wouldn't sell it out from under me.

Does have some rust. Needs rockers and the rear quarters are rusting through with spots with bondo peeling away but, I think, it's fairly manageable. Floors and frame seem very solid. Definitely needs work as it's been sitting and was used to plow but it seems unmolested and complete down to the steel wheels.

Are replacement rockers and parts for these old Chevy sixes readily available? Also, it was used to plow so do I need be concerned about possibly frame twisting or tweaking and how would I look for this?

Haven't been able to get this thing off my mind for months and I'm trying to be realistic about the extent of the project but, man, some sweet looking old iron there.

I would be thoroughly grateful for any advice about what to look for and stay clear of.
Techstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
mrtoni

Re: 64 Burb Rescue?

It's not this one is it? Not a 64 but owner thinks it is.
Attached Images

mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Techstudent

No, not that one but quite similar with the "barn door" configuration!
Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
spacedebris

Most parts from the doors forward are fairly easy to come by. Few exceptions. Panels and Burbs share the same cab forward parts with the PU's.

Its when needing parts behind the doors when it gets problematic. So if you need front fenders, rockers, floors and such, you have many options. If you need rear quarters, roof, or anything else on the rear, that is where you have to get creative.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Techstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
Most parts from the doors forward are fairly easy to come by. Few exceptions. Panels and Burbs share the same cab forward parts with the PU's.

Its when needing parts behind the doors when it gets problematic. So if you need front fenders, rockers, floors and such, you have many options. If you need rear quarters, roof, or anything else on the rear, that is where you have to get creative.
I'm grateful for the response!

That's very good as I think the quarters are quite fixable but rocker's certainly need replacing.

My plan is to leave it the way it is, get the drive-train running nicely and bomb around town in it while slowly fixing rust issues. Seems like it will make a fun summer evening cruiser and it seems a travesty to let this thing continue to dissolve in the oldtimer's back yard!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
rossboss

How about some pics. Allways interested in 4x4 suburbans
rossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Techstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossboss View Post
How about some pics. Allways interested in 4x4 suburbans
Well, I just made the exchange so it's official and I have the bill-of-sale in hand. Man, I was really struggling with this one. My practical mindedness was at war with my propensity toward nostalgia and sentimentality won out. Every time I came within eyeshot, my heart would flutter and I'd get weak in the knees.

The owner said positive traction on this thing?

Photos to come!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossboss View Post
how about some pics. Allways interested in 4x4 suburbans
x2
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Techstudent

Re: 64 Burb Rescue (With photos)

Well, got the title in hand so I officially own this heap. Here she is in all her glory! I'm pretty excited but also realist enough to know I've got a project ahead of me.

Definitely in need of overhaul but I think it's worth saving the old war horse.

Goal is to get her on the road by the end of summer (should keep me out of jail) and body work will come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstudent View Post
Hey all,

Pretty new to the forum and I have been ogling a 64 suburban 4x4 in a town adjacent to mine. It has a manual 4 speed on the floor and straight-six (owner said 292) but I am not familiar enough to confirm this. Interior is complete and seemingly in good condition.

In any event, I stopped last November to ask the owner if he cared to sell and he was on the fence at the time. I finally stopped for a second time yesterday and he was willing to sell and we agreed on a price that I can manage and he is happy with. We shook on it so, for all intents and purposes, it's a deal and he said he wouldn't sell it out from under me.

Does have some rust. Needs rockers and the rear quarters are rusting through with spots with bondo peeling away but, I think, it's fairly manageable. Floors and frame seem very solid. Definitely needs work as it's been sitting and was used to plow but it seems unmolested and complete down to the steel wheels.

Are replacement rockers and parts for these old Chevy sixes readily available? Also, it was used to plow so do I need be concerned about possibly frame twisting or tweaking and how would I look for this?

Haven't been able to get this thing off my mind for months and I'm trying to be realistic about the extent of the project but, man, some sweet looking old iron there.

I would be thoroughly grateful for any advice about what to look for and stay clear of.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
Techstudent

A few more..............
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
67swb72klb

Not too bad lucky to have the seat still in it and the 292!!
Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
Techstudent

More.......
Attached Images