The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
Dyslexic Dog

59 rear springs

So all is going well. Must II is welded in place. Bought a used rear end from a 2001 4X4. Disc Posi, feeling good.

The spring width is about 3" shorter. My Leaf Spring purchases are worn out and oval. I'm thinking of installing new ones that are inset by 3". Am I on the right track?

Sometimes I feel like I am going down a rabbit hole and I appreciate the info that helps me avoid those pit falls.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Mac the Yankee

Re: 59 rear springs

Here's a thought (since you've already done the MII front)

I made a run to the local pull-a-part, and for about $60, I grabbed a nice clean pair of 2006 Silverado 1500 rear springs, hangars, AND MOUNTS (drilled/knocked the rivets out of the mounts) to use on my '56. Yes, I will have to do some measuring, drilling, etc, but that sure beats the HECK out of having to purchase OEM shackles, bolts, and springs to the tune of about $500-$600!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
58 pache

Thumbs up Re: 59 rear springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
Here's a thought (since you've already done the MII front)

I made a run to the local pull-a-part, and for about $60, I grabbed a nice clean pair of 2006 Silverado 1500 rear springs, hangars, AND MOUNTS (drilled/knocked the rivets out of the mounts) to use on my '56. Yes, I will have to do some measuring, drilling, etc, but that sure beats the HECK out of having to purchase OEM shackles, bolts, and springs to the tune of about $500-$600!
That's what i have been thinking of doing also.
58 pache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
dsraven

you can also purchase new stuff if you are flush and want to spend your time working on your truck instead of running around the wrecker. try a set for a ford ranger or a chevy s10 to see how they would. that way you get rubber mounted spring bushings and new hangers. as far as the spring perches on the diff, you can get those at a trailer supply place or, again, from summit or a parts store (dorman makes them I think).
when cutting or welding on the axle tubes be aware of how much heat is being absorbed by the housing parts. too much heat can warp the axle tubes and then it is another headache.
if looking for a fairly beefy rear axle the ford 8.8 is pretty stout. try one from an explorer (offset center section) or a mustang (non offset center section). they can be had with disc brakes and a decent gear ratio.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Dyslexic Dog

I got a S10 posi rear end with Discs. Looks like I can get the GM hangers to match up with the existing leaf supports on the axle. 2 1/2" leafs but that should work. Need to rebuild the Emergency brakes and such but it looks promising. One issue is the wheel studs are a different pitch than the Must II front end I installed.

Also, I went to install some newer 15" chevy rims on my front end and the inner rim rubs on the upper ball joint. What am I missing? 16" wheels? Different offset?
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote