The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
KriegsReich

71 C10 1/2 Ton Long Bed (Unintentional Rat)

New to the forum.

My last truck was a 79 K5. It hit the dirt about a year ago and I sold it off. I got the itch again and bought this. I picked it up for $1660. It has some issues, but I don't feel like I paid too much for it. Yet. I've been driving it around town since last week, and I've had no issues. This morning I noticed I had no running lights or brake lights. I'm currently chasing wires. The issue seems to be post fuse box.

However, I made the ultimate rookie battery mistake tonight. Instead of taking off the negative like I should have... I went for the positive. And when I did the wrench slipped and made contact with the radiator POP POP POP!!!! I didn't think much of it... When I had the dash back together, I hit the ignition. Nothing. So now it sits in my front yard. I'll be taking the battery in to get it tested tomorrow. My plan was to throw a coat of paint on it this weekend, But I'm willing to bet I'll be redoing the entire wiring before it's over.
KriegsReich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: 71 C10 1/2 Ton Long Bed (Unintentional Rat)

there should be a fuseable link on the passenger side fender next to the battery and check grounds in the bed for the lights
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Rkansasboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriegsReich View Post
New to the forum.

My last truck was a 79 K5. It hit the dirt about a year ago and I sold it off. I got the itch again and bought this. I picked it up for $1660. It has some issues, but I don't feel like I paid too much for it. Yet. I've been driving it around town since last week, and I've had no issues. This morning I noticed I had no running lights or brake lights. I'm currently chasing wires. The issue seems to be post fuse box.

However, I made the ultimate rookie battery mistake tonight. Instead of taking off the negative like I should have... I went for the positive. And when I did the wrench slipped and made contact with the radiator POP POP POP!!!! I didn't think much of it... When I had the dash back together, I hit the ignition. Nothing. So now it sits in my front yard. I'll be taking the battery in to get it tested tomorrow. My plan was to throw a coat of paint on it this weekend, But I'm willing to bet I'll be redoing the entire wiring before it's over.
Yep....grounds was my problem. Good looking truck.
Rkansasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
KriegsReich

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
there should be a fuseable link on the passenger side fender next to the battery and check grounds in the bed for the lights

Awesome. I'll have to check that out first thing. Hopefully it has the links. I'm hoping I didn't do any crazy damage.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
TwoFiftyShifter

My 71 is in the same vein as yours... I love driving it and she hasn't put me in the poor house
Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
KriegsReich

So... I feel like an idiot. I got home from work and jumped under the hood. I noticed no fuseable link. I didn't see any fried wires. I really saw nothing out of the ordinary. Except... I had left the fuse box unplugged.

With that out of the way I jumped on the lights issue.

Headlights work and nothing else. Until I plug in the indoor light switch that controls the heater. Pictures of that tragedy to come. When I plug it in (to the unfused ignition slot on the fuse box) I get more action.

Front blinkers, front running lights, and passenger rear blinker works. I'm not getting anything with the breaks or tails nor the back running. I started taking things apart and found I've got a ton of corrosion on the inside of the running panels. I'll have to address that another day. My main focus are the tails and brakes.

This is what I'm on now...

Anyone know what this is supposed to be?

And why are these different? My guess is the driver's side is something someone has spliced in.

Driver's side

Passenger's side