The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Lugnutz65

Shop Shelving and Video

I found some used pallet rack units locally and they were perfect for my 24' X 25' two bay shop.
Just a few days ago, I made bi-fold cabinet doors to cover the lower shelf. They swing out and fold to give access to the lower shelf. I'll make another set of doors for the other unit. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the size and strength of the pallet rack units and the bi-fold doors make a nice place to decorate the shop with some signage. Watch the video HERE.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
bs46488

Re: Shop Shelving and Video

Very nice.

I have been thinking about upgrading my shelving in the garage to use pallet racks also. That's a great idea.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
bosephus

I will be getting a new building in that style and have many questions for you. What material did you use on the walls and what kind,if any, insulation was installed? Did you screw the wallboard straight onto the metal framing or did you use some kind of blocking? I assume that's spray foam on the roof,is it open or closed cell? Did the insulation on the ceiling make a big difference to the comfort level? Sorry for the book of questions,just looking for pointers from someone who has been through it. Thanks,Bo
bosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosephus View Post
I will be getting a new building in that style and have many questions for you. What material did you use on the walls and what kind,if any, insulation was installed? Did you screw the wallboard straight onto the metal framing or did you use some kind of blocking? I assume that's spray foam on the roof,is it open or closed cell? Did the insulation on the ceiling make a big difference to the comfort level? Sorry for the book of questions,just looking for pointers from someone who has been through it. Thanks,Bo
Glad to tell you what I did.
Since my building is all metal, I couldn't screw anything to the walls. So I decided to build 1/4" plywood interior walls with 2" foam board insulation sandwiched in between. Then I painted the interior walls with white primer to reflect the most light. I didn't want fiberglass or blow in insulation because they might hold moisture. I liked the foam board insulation because it was easy to transport home and cut into pieces to fit corners etc.

The 1/4" plywood was screwed to horizontal 1X4 strips that were 24" apart and screwed to the vertical legs. That helped keep the plywood flat.

The spray closed cell foam insulation was very expensive but the right choice. It sticks to the ceiling without me needing to climb up there and screw something down. I might cover the ceiling for a better appearance later, but right now I will leave it as is.

I can't say the shop stays a whole lot cooler, but I'm sure it made a difference. Having real walls to screw stuff was a good decision. I mounted the electrical conduit to the wall surface so I know exactly where my electrical wires are for possible future upgrades or additions. I like that everything is visible and not hidden beneath the wall surface.

I'd really recommend using an epoxy finish on the concrete floor. Makes wiping up spills a lot easier. I decided against the decorative spinkle on chips. They make the floor look nice but would make finding that screw I dropped a lot more difficult. It's a shop floor, not a showroom floor.

Pics will tell you more. Ask as many questions as you want. I'm glad to help.

Watch these videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZNuxdWX08g&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GP9BFnDokw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgnKVM_1gQA
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote