The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
Ben_Yeaton

Front Sway Bar Recommendation

Hey Guys,

I'm having some trouble choosing a front sway bar for my 68, despite searching through the site extensively as well as google images, etc. I notice several options that fit my truck and are in my budget, and have read a few installation issue threads, so I'm looking to get some feedback regarding what would be best for my truck.

Currently the truck has stock arms, 3" spindles, 2" springs trimmed a bit. Also has power steering (not sure if that creates any clearance issues on some designs). I know some of the designs are better for lowered applications via the shorter frame perches, etc. I also know I wont be spending over $200 on this which takes me away from of the really nice stuff like NoLimit/ Hotchkis/ etc. Here's a picture of how it sits for reference:

The options I see are stock style like this, with the bushing ends on the a-arms. Vendor would have to be ECE right, I'm not heading to a junk yard to pull one? Also does this stock style bar have any hang ups when used as low as I am? I did read one thread about an oddly shaped bar coming from ECE which deters me.

Next would be the End link style bars. First is the one POL sells. This style one uses L-brackets that need to be mounted to the front of the arm, not utilizing any of the existing holes. This seems popular, but mounting to the top of the arm must be slightly better right?

This bar is very similar, but it does use the factory hole in the a-arm. Seems very nice, but not sure if I'd have to use the tall frame perch? Seems as if there is no drop in the bar at all and it must be mounted flat.

Then the CPP style, which comes with both height perches, and looks to be solid. The shape is much more angular, making me think there might be issues with the steering clearance? There is an install article on hotrod where they use this style and they have to use the tall perches to get it to work. Not sure that's best?

Overall, just looking for real world install advice from you guys. Has anyone had success with any of these bars? The clear winner after the threads I HAVE read seems to be the stock style, but I'd like some confirmation due to not many guys being as low/ power steering clearance/ etc. Any info helps, thanks in advance!
Ben_Yeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
zach_carver

Re: Front Sway Bar Recommendation

I do not have a lot of experience with any other than the CPP ones. I installed front and rear CCP sway bars on my truck, Im satisfied with them. My trucks lowered 5/7" and I didnt have any problems. I think they come with stock height brackets for the front and lowered brackets so they fit almost anything. I know it dramatically helped the handling of my 65 truck. One of the best things Ive done to date.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Ben_Yeaton

Thanks so much for the reply. I see your sig says you have power brakes, so that makes me feel good about it as well. I assume you used the "lowered" perches and it lined up well with the hole in the LCA?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Ben_Yeaton

Anyone else on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
zach_carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Yeaton View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. I see your sig says you have power brakes, so that makes me feel good about it as well. I assume you used the "lowered" perches and it lined up well with the hole in the LCA?
Yes sir, the lowered ones worked well for me. Yes power brakes also. I ordered mine thru Summit racing I believe to prevent issues with CPPs shipping.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You dont need anything fancy or expensive. The 73-87 trucks I used 1"bar on the C10 and a 1 1/8"bar on the C20. Either one can be used on your truck. Find a donor and cut the factory bushing clamp stands off. They are riveted on so be prepared to drill or chisel them off.

On a mild drop, you can use a shorter bushing clamp stand that's available from our Vendors, or bolt the bushing clamps directly to the frame. On my current build "Scarlett" with used bar and new bushings I have less than $50.00 in the entire swap.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Ben_Yeaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You dont need anything fancy or expensive. The 73-87 trucks I used 1"bar on the C10 and a 1 1/8"bar on the C20. Either one can be used on your truck. Find a donor and cut the factory bushing clamp stands off. They are riveted on so be prepared to drill or chisel them off.

On a mild drop, you can use a shorter bushing clamp stand that's available from our Vendors, or bolt the bushing clamps directly to the frame. On my current build "Scarlett" with used bar and new bushings I have less than $50.00 in the entire swap.
I understand. As I stated in my original post, I'm not going to source one from a yard. There are none easily accessible near me, and I don't have the time to drive out to one just to save a couple bucks. I appreciate the suggestions though. I would love to mount directly to the frame, so I'll have to see what clearance I have. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Ben_Yeaton

So if anyone has a stock bar with hardware they want to send me for under $60 shipped I'm all ears!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
Ben_Yeaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Yeaton View Post
So if anyone has a stock bar with hardware they want to send me for under $60 shipped I'm all ears!
Found one through a board member. I'll update when I install.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Ben_Yeaton

So randy500 sent me a stock bar with brackets for a good price, and I got new bushings locally for <$10. Received the bar on Saturday, cleaned it up a bit and installed Sunday morning. Just so happens it matches the rest of my suspension . Very happy I could mount directly to the frame as well as everything fitting easily. Also very happy with how it drives now.