The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
realvc

1982 C 10 outer wheel bearing race removal

I have knocked the inner races out of the rotors using a punch and a hammer with no problem.

I can't get the punch on the outer race to knock it out from the back side of the rotor and it is barely visible. The punch is at such an angle that you can't get a good solid blow on it.

All the you tube videos and the web sights I've looked at say to knock the outer races out like the inner ones but I could not find any pictures of it being done.

How do you guys do it? I live in the sticks and it is 45 minutes to everything so if I can shade tree this it will be great. But if I have find a brake shop or machine shop the help me out it's not the end of the world. Just time and money is all it ever takes to do any of this stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help
Vince
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Richard2112

Re: 1982 C 10 outer wheel bearing race removal

I had a very similar problem when removing a bearing race from the input shaft of a transmission.
I made a tool (very easy to do) from a chunk of frame I had laying around.

It was just a disc, about 7 thousandths larger than the bottom of the race. Drill a small hole in the center of the disc and cut a relief slot. The relief slot will allow the disc to collapse slightly when you drive it into the hub and it will get trapped behind the edge of the race you are trying to remove. Then thread a bolt into the center hole of the disc which will expand the disc tightly behind the race. Turn the hub over and insert a large socket or pipe and drive the disc with a small sledge. It should drive the race out.

Measure your race. My dimensions are for my input shaft race. Same technique applies though.
Attached Images

Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Dayton601

I used a heavy duty screw driver caught the very edge of the race , got it almost all the way out and decided just to go buy new rotors, for about $43 at O'Reillys comes with new race and you don't have to have it turned,
Dayton601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
realvc

Thanks for the reply.

The rotor is stepped behind the race to seat the race on a ledge. Then the rotor bearing cavity is smaller around and then tapers out larger to the rear race.

A disc can't be inserted behind the race from the back side because of this.

I can't find any kind of a tool to do this and I know these races have to come out.

May be a pilot bearing/bushing removal tool would work.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
realvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton601 View Post
I used a heavy duty screw driver caught the very edge of the race , got it almost all the way out and decided just to go buy new rotors, for about $43 at O'Reillys comes with new race and you don't have to have it turned,
Thanks, I had the rotors turned before doing the bearings thinking if they could not be turned I would have saved myself the effort.

I got a package deal on getting the rotors turned, clutch refaced, pressure plate resurfaced and the flywheel resurfaced too. So here I am.

I've rebuilt every thing else so far and will be replacing the calipers next. If I ever get over the rotor stand off.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
Joe Pass

I had a similar issue on mine...I was able to grind a long punch tip at an angle to hook the edge of the race. There wasn't enough bite to drive it out so I used a propane torch and heated the casting area outside to inner bearing boss. I heated it evenly around for about 15 minutes or even longer. Then I flipped it over and began to work the race outward with the angled punch enough to get a brass drift onto it to finish driving it out....I have been successful with this method more than once.....if you decide to try this, do it outside, the old grease will burn and smoke something nasty
Good luck
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
realvc

[QUOTE=Joe Pass;8104539]I had a similar issue on mine...I was able to grind a long punch tip at an angle to hook the edge of the race. There wasn't enough bite to drive it out so I used a propane torch and heated the casting area outside to inner bearing boss. I heated it evenly around for about 15 minutes or even longer. Then I flipped it over and began to work the race outward with the angled punch enough to get a brass drift onto it to finish driving it out....I have been successful with this method more than once.....if you decide to try this, do it outside, the old grease will burn and smoke something nasty
Good luck[/QUO

Thanks for the tip.

I've been trying figure out how to make or modify a tool to knock the race out.
I don't have a torch to heat the rotor with.

Who would have thought such a simple thing could be such a road block?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
cadillac_al

If there is any lip there at all, You just need to figure something to catch it like a big screwdriver or grinding on a punch. No need to worry about damaging anything inside the rotor. The right cold chisel might catch it or cut it /break it. I have knocked out many races in my life but I don't recall ever wearing out an inner wheel bearing on a GM.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The rotor is stepped behind the race to seat the race on a ledge. Then the rotor bearing cavity is smaller around and then tapers out larger to the rear race.

A disc can't be inserted behind the race from the back side because of this.

I can't find any kind of a tool to do this and I know these races have to come out.

May be a pilot bearing/bushing removal tool would work.
If that race has any sort of lip at all (it should) then it should be possible to force and over-sized disc with a relief slot down behind it. I used the socket to drive the disc past the smallest part of the cone/race. Once the disc was driven behind the race, I used a slightly oversized bolt to re-expand the disc, put a nut on it and the disc was tight enough to drive the race out from the other side.
Maybe not the easiest or best solution but it worked. I could have bought the front bearing retainer with a race already pressed in but since I was using Timken bearings, I know they machine the bearing/race as a matched set. I wanted to use the matched race so I had to r&r mine.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
realvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
If that race has any sort of lip at all (it should) then it should be possible to force and over-sized disc with a relief slot down behind it. I used the socket to drive the disc past the smallest part of the cone/race. Once the disc was driven behind the race, I used a slightly oversized bolt to re-expand the disc, put a nut on it and the disc was tight enough to drive the race out from the other side.
Maybe not the easiest or best solution but it worked. I could have bought the front bearing retainer with a race already pressed in but since I was using Timken bearings, I know they machine the bearing/race as a matched set. I wanted to use the matched race so I had to r&r mine.
Thanks for you reply.

The opening behind the race is smaller than the race. The rotor is machined with a small step just behind the race then it is smaller. You can't get a tool on the back side of the race from the back side of the rotor to where you can get a good bite to knock it out. The tool will have to offset. I will have to make tool or just take the rotors to a brake/machine shop and have them remove the bearing races for me.

I'll have to plan a trip to town but in the mean time there are plenty of other things I be working on.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
realvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
I had a very similar problem when removing a bearing race from the input shaft of a transmission.
I made a tool (very easy to do) from a chunk of frame I had laying around.

It was just a disc, about 7 thousandths larger than the bottom of the race. Drill a small hole in the center of the disc and cut a relief slot. The relief slot will allow the disc to collapse slightly when you drive it into the hub and it will get trapped behind the edge of the race you are trying to remove. Then thread a bolt into the center hole of the disc which will expand the disc tightly behind the race. Turn the hub over and insert a large socket or pipe and drive the disc with a small sledge. It should drive the race out.

Measure your race. My dimensions are for my input shaft race. Same technique applies though.
I just reread your first reply and realize that the disc goes through from the front. I'm a little, no a lot slow some times. Anyway this may work if I have a hole saw that will cut through frame rail.

Thanks again and sorry for not getting it sooner.
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm slow when it come to getting things done too so it may be a while.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post
I just reread your first reply and realize ....
I didn't explain in very much detail because I didn't want to muck-up the basic idea. So I understand that it wasn't clear at first.

Any piece of steel 1/8 inch or thicker should work, I think. It helps to make the disc then put a slight bevel around the edge on one side. That slight bevel will help the disc go through the race when you first drive it through.

Anyway, hopefully that'll work for you and maybe some others. I'd send ya mine but chances are it's not the same size as what you'll need.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
realvc

The rotors are DONE and back on the spindles.

I ground a notch in a steel rod and was able to knock the races out.

This is the first time I've replaced bearings in a disc rotor. Now that I have THE TOOL it will probably lay in my tool box and not be used again. But it is always better to have a tool and not need than it is to need a tool and not have it.

Thanks to all of you that tried to help. Knowing that others are out there that will offer help is always a good thing.
Thanks again.