The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Mack B

So I ran out of gas. I think. Maybe.

The truck in question is a 63 C10, with the stock tank behind the seat.

This truck and I are getting reacquainted after I ignored it for a few years. To get it back on the road I had to pump out the tank, replace some fuel line, the fuel pump, and rebuild the carburetor. During this I found a hole in the fuel float in the tank, so I repaired that. It's been road worthy for about a month now, I've put about 250 miles on it in that time.

Today I had the rare opportunity to use the truck for work purposes and I drove it round trip about 70 miles. At about 60 mph the engine turns about 3000rpm and it averages about 8 mpg...worth every penny.

About 10 miles from home on the return trip, the gauge reads just above 1/4 tank. Everything is fine, then I notice the truck is slowing down, I give it more gas, truck doesn't respond at all. It's like I didn't press the pedal any harder. I keep it hammer down for a few more miles and soon I'm only running about 35mph, I pull over and the truck immediately dies.

>it fires right back up
>fuel pressure gauge at carburetor is rocking more than normal
>it dies before I get back inside it
>re-fires fine, it struggles to drive away
>I pull in to a gas station, it dies a few times but cranks back up no issue

I fill it up, it holds 11 gallons. I immediately think this isn't the issue because I'm fairly certain I've put more than 15 gallons in it during a fill up before. Truck cranks up everything is back to normal.

My questions:
How much does your tank hold? I've done a search and see the replacements are 17 gallon, but members say anywhere from 13-21 for stock capacity.

I know it's possible, but is it probable the tank holds an unusable 5ish gallons?

Any other input into what may have happen here?

Anyone read this far and want some nude pictures of my neighbor?
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: So I ran out of gas. I think. Maybe.

I have never trusted my gauge past 1/2.

I thought stock tank was 16gal

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
wjjeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
The truck in question is a 63 C10, with the stock tank behind the seat.

This truck and I are getting reacquainted after I ignored it for a few years. To get it back on the road I had to pump out the tank, replace some fuel line, the fuel pump, and rebuild the carburetor. During this I found a hole in the fuel float in the tank, so I repaired that. It's been road worthy for about a month now, I've put about 250 miles on it in that time.

Today I had the rare opportunity to use the truck for work purposes and I drove it round trip about 70 miles. At about 60 mph the engine turns about 3000rpm and it averages about 8 mpg...worth every penny.

About 10 miles from home on the return trip, the gauge reads just above 1/4 tank. Everything is fine, then I notice the truck is slowing down, I give it more gas, truck doesn't respond at all. It's like I didn't press the pedal any harder. I keep it hammer down for a few more miles and soon I'm only running about 35mph, I pull over and the truck immediately dies.

>it fires right back up
>fuel pressure gauge at carburetor is rocking more than normal
>it dies before I get back inside it
>re-fires fine, it struggles to drive away
>I pull in to a gas station, it dies a few times but cranks back up no issue

I fill it up, it holds 11 gallons. I immediately think this isn't the issue because I'm fairly certain I've put more than 15 gallons in it during a fill up before. Truck cranks up everything is back to normal.

My questions:
How much does your tank hold? I've done a search and see the replacements are 17 gallon, but members say anywhere from 13-21 for stock capacity.

I know it's possible, but is it probable the tank holds an unusable 5ish gallons?

Any other input into what may have happen here?

Anyone read this far and want some nude pictures of my neighbor?
I don’t know what the capacity of my tank is. But it sounds like you ran out. Maybe your pick up line is a little high in the tank.

Lol share the nudes. Dare ya!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
All of the sudden I’m right there with you, but I think the guage is right, I think the pick up is somehow wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeeper View Post
Lol share the nudes. Dare ya!
I appreciate you read till the end lol. I must remind you we don’t always want what we think we want though
Old 12-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
rvrfoot

Try looking in the search. I had the same question and got a lot of different answers.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
Brad54

This is why I always install a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb; it will always tell you if you’re getting gas to the carb. That piece of information will always tell you if the carb is the problem, the fuel pump is the problem, or the tank is empty. At which point it will also tell you if your problem is electrical.
After you topped off the gas tank, did you drive home with no more trouble?
What were traffic conditions like?
I had the fuel pump take the big dump on a road trip once, and in 3rd gear at 55mph, engine vacuum drew enough fuel thru the pump to keep driving. (3rd is 1:1 on that trans) that was with a 4bbl carb.
Below that mph, and it did just what you’ve described.
I even stopped at the gas station to top it off.
If you have full gauges, look at the temp gauge while you’re driving: if it’s running hotter than normal, it’s running lean, which also points to a dead fuel pump.
(I zip-tied the Choke closed and drove home breathing through only the secondaries, to create more vacuum. Got 250 miles home with zip ties as a fuel pump!)

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you checked your fuel filter(s)?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #8
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
This is why I always install a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb; it will always tell you if you’re getting gas to the carb. That piece of information will always tell you if the carb is the problem, the fuel pump is the problem, or the tank is empty. At which point it will also tell you if your problem is electrical.
After you topped off the gas tank, did you drive home with no more trouble?
What were traffic conditions like?
I had the fuel pump take the big dump on a road trip once, and in 3rd gear T 55mph, it drew enough fuel thru the pump to keep driving. (3rd is 1:1 on that trans)
Below that mph, and it did just what you’ve described.
I even stopped at the gas station to top it off.
If you have full gauges, look at the temp gauge while you’re driving: if it’s running hotter than normal, it’s running lean, which also points to a dead fuel pump.
After the fill up, it drove home fine, then did the rest of the running around I needed to do. This was highway driving and stop and go. Including some spirited driving to make sure it wasn't going to fall on its face like before.

The truck has aftermarket gauges in it, since the season has changed from "still summer" to "Christmas" here the gauge has stayed at 150* including during this episode. We can assume the gauge or thermostat is off a bit.

i have a regulator with a fuel pressure gauge right before the carb. I'm not being a smart ass when I ask, I genuinely don't know if I'm right or wrong,but doesn't that do the same as a clear filter in regards to showing wether or not I'm getting gas to the carb?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #9
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Have you checked your fuel filter(s)?
I have not, I replaced it while changing all the other fuel components about 250 miles ago. I know it's still possible it got clogged, but to go along with my reply/question above this one. If the gauge at the carb reads 6.5psi (where the regulator is set), that pretty much means the filter is ok right? (Admitedly it was bouncing more than normal when I pulled over, but settled by the time I got home)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #10
vince1

When I had the stock tank I bought a new pick up and sending unit and it worked well. With the right unit the pick up should be at the bottom. You can apparently get them with either 5/16 or 3/8 lines and at 8 MPG maybe you want the big one.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 AM   #11
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
When I had the stock tank I bought a new pick up and sending unit and it worked well. With the right unit the pick up should be at the bottom. You can apparently get them with either 5/16 or 3/8 lines and at 8 MPG maybe you want the big one.
This made me think. Since I've recently had the sending unit out, is it possible I have the whole assembly clocked wrong or will it only bolt up one way? Probably not, but I'll check it out tomorrow. Edit:Thought about that more, it's not the case

You would think it's a monster with the poor mileage, sadly it's not.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #12
Brad54

Quote:
i have a regulator with a fuel pressure gauge right before the carb. I'm not being a smart ass when I ask, I genuinely don't know if I'm right or wrong,but doesn't that do the same as a clear filter in regards to showing wether or not I'm getting gas to the carb?
Yeah, it probably will--but only when the vehicle is running. When it's turning over, or off, you can't visually see if the filter is empty.

It shouldn't be empty when the engine isn't running, unless you've run out of gas, or the pump is dead and it allows the fuel to feed back into the line.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #13
PGSigns

I had this issue many years ago with a 64. What I found was the fuel pump was weak. When the fuel got to a point the pump could not pull it. It happened on the first date with my wife. She said sounds like it ran out of fuel. I told her no way I have a foot. She said a foot? So I pulled the oak dowel out from behind the seat and checked the fuel and showed her I had gas. The dowel was my fuel gauge. Put a couple of gallons in it and primed the carb and it fired right up. New fuel pump before our next date and all was good. Been married 31years. I still have the dowel.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I had this issue many years ago with a 64. What I found was the fuel pump was weak. When the fuel got to a point the pump could not pull it. It happened on the first date with my wife. She said sounds like it ran out of fuel. I told her no way I have a foot. She said a foot? So I pulled the oak dowel out from behind the seat and checked the fuel and showed her I had gas. The dowel was my fuel gauge. Put a couple of gallons in it and primed the carb and it fired right up. New fuel pump before our next date and all was good. Been married 31years. I still have the dowel.
Jimmy
Interesting. I wish I would have had a dipstick with me to verify where the fuel level was at the time. I'm going to carry one till I get to the bottom of this.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
geezer#99

What carb?
What intake?
Do you have headers?
Have you checked your timing?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
What carb?
What intake?
Do you have headers?
Have you checked your timing?
Edelbrock 1406? Manual choke version
Edelbrock torker11 (it appears)
Yes
Not recently
Old 12-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
geezer#99

Turn your fuel pressure down to 4.5 psi.
Check your timing?

What cam?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
Mack B

Quote:
Turn your fuel pressure down to 4.5 psi.
Check your timing?

What cam?

No idea on what cam is in it, it does have a noticeable idle, but doesn’t frighten most small children.

May I ask why? I’m not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. I appreciate all input, but I got the info for 6.5 on the regulator right from edelbrock. I can concede I can’t verify there wasn’t an ignition problem during the episode and it was coincidental that it went away when I fueled up, but at this point I’m certain it would show the same as it was prior to all this taking place. 8* initial 33* total. I’m basing this on the normal operation the 25ish miles I drove after the fill up.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
geezer#99

With a modified motor that has a cam, intake, carb and headers you need a better timing curve.
Read this.
http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...d=76/prd76.htm

Your 8 initial is likely half of what you need.
I run stock motors at 14 initial here at sea level.

Eddy carbs and their ancestors (the afb) never like more than 5 psi. Don't worry, you won't run out of fuel. I ran a pair on a dual quad that had 2 psi at wot at 120 mph and never ran out of fuel.

Where in Alabama do you live?
Your elevation and ambient temperature effect how your motor runs.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #20
63burban
Chevy addict

Check your filer and replace the hoses in your fuel system, they can collapse
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #21
Llay R. Rac

a malfunctioning vented gas cap once caused my truck to "run out of gas" when i knew i had a half tank.
bad or no venting caused a corner of the bottom of the tank to be sucked inward and ruptured the float.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #22
kberger

I had a similar problem where a fine rust sediment in the tank would clog up the fuel pickup screen, then after sitting for a few minutes, would start right up and drive for 5 minutes before doing the same thing.
kberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
Mack B

Quote:
With a modified motor that has a cam, intake, carb and headers you need a better timing curve.
Read this.
http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...d=76/prd76.htm

Your 8 initial is likely half of what you need.
I run stock motors at 14 initial here at sea level.

Eddy carbs and their ancestors (the afb) never like more than 5 psi. Don't worry, you won't run out of fuel. I ran a pair on a dual quad that had 2 psi at wot at 120 mph and never ran out of fuel.

Where in Alabama do you live?
Your elevation and ambient temperature effect how your motor runs.
I'm about 50-60 miles as the crow flies inland from the coast.

Any more initial and it runs significantly hotter. I may be leaving a little bit on the table, or a drunk could have marked the balancer and in reality it's set on kill. Either way it's usually well mannered and has no issue getting out of its on way.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #24
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Check your filer and replace the hoses in your fuel system, they can collapse
3rd line
Quote:
To get it back on the road I had to pump out the tank, replace some fuel line, the fuel pump, and rebuild the carburetor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llay R. Rac View Post
a malfunctioning vented gas cap once caused my truck to "run out of gas" when i knew i had a half tank.
bad or no venting caused a corner of the bottom of the tank to be sucked inward and ruptured the float.
Right after I bought this truck I filled the tank, and the next day I was greeted by fuel sloshing down the side taking the paint with it. Cap didn't vent. I still cry about that.

I do wonder if I could have restarted the truck before I removed the cap though, if this was the issue this time? This will be something quick to try if/when this happens again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kberger View Post
I had a similar problem where a fine rust sediment in the tank would clog up the fuel pickup screen, then after sitting for a few minutes, would start right up and drive for 5 minutes before doing the same thing.
I've had this happen on a 56 sedan, it's where I picked up my fondness for the taste of unleaded gasoline. In this instance though wouldn't the pressure gauge at the carburetor show any restrictions such as this?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 AM   #25
studeclunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post

I thought stock tank was 16gal
Yeah, well I'm learning not to trust mine at all! It said I had a half tank and I ran out on the way home tonight. Thankfully just a little over a mile away and at a friend's house. Put two gallons in it and it chugged up the hill and home. Danged if the gauge is still reading half a tank too!
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote