The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
cooter01

?? 83 k20 on k10 suspension for ride quality??

Alright guys, been looking around here for awile admiring RIG'S. Im wondering if i can put half ton leaf springs under my truck to make it ride any better. my truck is now sitting on 8" leafs up front and it has an s style drag link and the raised steering arm. im wanting to go down to a 4" rough country lift to save on wear and tear. right now the front end pops real bad whlie turning and stuff. i dont tow anything i just want it to ride smooth and handle a little better. the truck has 37x13.50x20 toyo m/t's on black rockstars on it now and im gone try and clear them on 4" until i can come across some more tires or wheels and tires. i know thats alot of questions but any ideas, hints or tips? i just dont know if the springs are the same deminsions? Thanks all and nice trucks!
cooter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: ?? 83 k20 on k10 suspension for ride quality??

The more arch the spring has, the rougher the ride. Tires will also play into the equation. I know there are a lot of "experts" on all the online forums bashing one lift or another for being too rough, but I don't know of any smooth riding straight axle truck, much less with lift. Sure some springs are softer than others, but not worth the extra expense in my opinion. You may see a difference going down to 4 inches, but probably not enough to keep you happy.

I had a 4" Rancho lift with 33's on a K5 that rode like a wooden wheel wagon. I put on 36" Swampers and had a much softer ride. A lot of folks bashing Rough Country lifts, but again, everyone is different in their tolerance levels. I just installed a 4" all spring Rough Country lift on my '73 K20 but haven't driven it yet.

Larger tires and wheels will definitely wear out parts faster due to the heavier weight/ rotating mass.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
cooter01

Thanks, and keep me updated on the ride of that 73. also still wondering about the difference in 1/2 and 3/4 ton suspensions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Altec
Getcha Pull

Of course the springs play into the ride. Most of the good companies these days even offer soft, and heavy duty springs depending on application. Other factors like engine as well. Big block springs under a I6 truck will ride like a tractor. All to do with spring rate. My Father drives a '97 2500 Cummins. The rear end on that thing goes like crap down the road empty. Hops all over the place. Put a good load in the bed and you think you are in a Caddy until you look down at the junk Chrysler interior... The Rancho kits are known as some of the hardest riding, kidney bleeding lifts you can get. When you went to the Swamper you went to a tire with a softer side wall, and more of it. Which would obviously soften the ride a bit. Seems to me like a band aid though.

As for solid axle ride, it really has to do with how you are holding the truck up on top of them. Compare a 1st gen ram with leafs, to a 2nd gen with the 4-bar setup and it is night, and day. Comparing a new solid axle F250, or 2500 to a Silverado IFS and you just don't see a difference. Not anywhere near the difference you see going away from leafs anyway.

you are 100% correct though about spring arch. After about 6" you start getting into things that by definition I wouldn't call a "Spring."

My opinion is a nice 4" lift made for your truck, and a D-rated radial will be the ticket. It'll be like a new truck.

I suggest the D-rated tire for two reasons I should probably explain. First because C rated tires on our heavy trucks can either wear funny, or while you are going down the road they have so much side wall flex that it starts to feel like you are on one of the rides you see at a playground with a duck attached to a spring. On the other end if you go for a E rated tire you are getting into a hard tires that will make your ride quality go down. If this was a tow pig it'd be a worthy trade off, but it just isn't needed.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

You won't clear 37's on a 4 inch lift without cutting the fenders. Simply cant happen. Also look into tuff country as their lifts are the softest off the shelf. 35's are about as big as you can go on a 4' lift and not rub a lot.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
cooter01

Thanks alot homer! i was gone set it down on em and find out for myself, and i also have checked into T.C. lift and im gone go with them. im just lookin for tires and or tires and wheels!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
When you went to the Swamper you went to a tire with a softer side wall, and more of it. Which would obviously soften the ride a bit.
Precisely my point. I didn't get the tires for a softer ride, though, so it wasn't a bandaid. I was perfectly happy and could tolerate the 33s and 4" lift. Which just proves my point, we all have different tolerance levels.

In fairness, the original question is really hard to answer accurately as personal opinion comes into play. I'm no expert and haven't tried every lift out there, just stating my experiences.

I'll let you know how it turns out, but I'm not expecting a soft ride.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote