The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Gene

Locating tab on trans case for u-joint but not on rear diff?

So i'm using a rear from a 91 Burb that doesnt have any locating tabs for the u-joint, but my trans case does? Do I need to find some caps that have them or what? I didnt get any caps with the rear and dont know if they sell them at parts stores?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Transformula

Re: Locating tab on trans case for u-joint but not on rear diff?

THose tabs you speak of are on yokes that accept "External-snap-ring" types of u-joints. The yoke without the tabs is for accepting an "Internal- snap-ring" type of u-joint. Do you have a 10-bolt rear? I've seen a lot of 10-bolts with those type, and the older 12- bolts have the external type. You will most likely have to change the yoke, or use a conversion u-joint.
Look at your driveshaft. Where the u-joint is attached, can you see the snap rings on the outside?
1995 FXDL Harley Low Rider
1985 C10 ShortWide 91 Burb front.
Transformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformula View Post
THose tabs you speak of are on yokes that accept "External-snap-ring" types of u-joints. The yoke without the tabs is for accepting an "Internal- snap-ring" type of u-joint. Do you have a 10-bolt rear? I've seen a lot of 10-bolts with those type, and the older 12- bolts have the external type. You will most likely have to change the yoke, or use a conversion u-joint.
Look at your driveshaft. Where the u-joint is attached, can you see the snap rings on the outside?
Yep, I had new u-joints installed and they are external clips. Guess I need internal ones? It is a 10 bolt rear. I have a 12 bolt truck rear, can I simply switch the yokes?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Transformula

I'm pretty sure the spline count and diameter of the pinion is different from 12 bolt to 10 bolt. So you will have to get a new 1310 or 1350 yoke. Those are already set up for a 1310 or 1350 u-joint with tabs. (You can specify which one you want). If you have a reputable driveline shop nearby, ask if they have a conversion u-joint that will connect your shaft to the 10-bolt yoke. I know they make them for going from a 1310 to a 1350, etc, but those are both external ring type. But in reality, I think that getting the yoke is the best bet IMO.
1995 FXDL Harley Low Rider
1985 C10 ShortWide 91 Burb front.
Transformula is offline   Reply With Quote