The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
bluex

1995 4.3 pcm an wiring delete.

Hey guys

I have a 95 C1500 with a NV3500 that I'm (well my 17 y/o is with my guidance) swapping a 350 into an we are going to ditch the TBI an its controls for a Holley Sniper an a hei.

I have been going over the factory manuals today an I think i can just delete the pcm an most of the tbi wiring as the gauges have their own straight feeds. I'm only confused about at the speedometer. Does the vss go into the vss buffer first or the pcm?

My only real need is to keep the factory gauges working an if possible the cruise control. The wiring shows two different hookups so I'm not sure which one applies here.

Not really interested in other options or keeping the TBI. It had issues anyhow which is why the PO gave up on it. I'm well versed in the Holley system an it will handle future upgrades with no issues.
Attached Images

bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: 1995 4.3 pcm an wiring delete.

The VSS goes to the buffer (DRAC) first. You don't need the computer for the speedo or the cruise control.
On a 1995 with the manual trans the computer is still the older style ECM with the slow baud rate and not a PCM like the automatic transmission trucks.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
bluex

Re: 1995 4.3 pcm an wiring delete.

Thanks,

I was looking over it again today an zoomed in more an the section I was looking at had a sensor input labeled W/MT 1. The space threw me off an on a whim I googled MT1 rpo to find out its a 4L80. Kinda tricky there GM, kinda tricky.....

Now I realize its probably the trans input speed an it still gets the output speed from the vss buffer it looks like. I feel less than smart now lol. The range selector an shift solenoid on that page should have tipped me off as well but I figured it was one diagram that showed multiple options to save space since the header listed 4.3 vin Z manual or automatic transmission. I guess you could get a 4L80 behind a 4.3 in 95 for some reason.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote