The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
4u2nv

Am I green

New guy here and need to be educated
Just got a 82 chevy step side and want to put possible 20"s all round and lowered 4|6 , does anyone have this rim setup on their stepside
I'm needing all info on the rims and tires that will fit.
Also are the tire , rim combo the same on step sides as fleet sides ???? as far as fender room ???
Any info would be great
Tires and rims is a lot of $$$$$ without getting it right.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
74CustomK20

Re: Am I green

Best advice I can give, is get some cardboard. Lots of it. Cut it to size of the rim tire combo you Wana run put it on your wheel studs n check how much clearance you have.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Welcome...
Rim dia is insignificant....the size of the tire (od & width) you want to run is what matters...along with back spacing and rim width

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 10-07-2018 at 08:51 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #4
4u2nv

Thanks for your replies
I was hoping that some body on here would have a set up on their 82 step side that had 20's and give me all the details on tires and rims , backspacing , tire size ,
Old 10-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Bandit130

Welcome.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
TKCR

I had some on my 86, it was a fleetside though. I didn't like them, finally got rid of them and got 18's with more tire. Rides so much nicer now. If you do a search on wheels, you'll probably get quite a few threads on the subject.
Here's one, it has several trucks with 20's
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 10-07-2018 at 05:43 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I had some on my 86, it was a fleetside though. I didn't like them, finally got rid of them and got 18's with more tire. Rides so much nicer now. If you do a search on wheels, you'll probably get quite a few threads on the subject.
Here's one, it has several trucks with 20's
Your opinion on the ride quality of 20" wheels & tires are subjective when you're comparing that 1 combo on that truck. What size tires were on those 20" wheels you previously used before swapping to the 18" set-up? What size tires are on the 18" set-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv
Thanks for your replies
I was hoping that some body on here would have a set up on their 82 step side that had 20's and give me all the details on tires and rims , backspacing , tire size ,
Welcome.
Wheel & tire combo's are based on individual preferences & budgets.

Research will suggest 20x8 - 8.5's up front will work w/o issue. Steppers are notorious for limited rear fenderwell clearance. I know some have squeezed 20x9.5's but they needed to really nail down back-spacing (BS).

So here's where preference & budget turn the discussion..... Some drops require rubber band sidewalls while others allow moderate. Some guys are obsessed w/the drop amount & opt to run 'whatever will fit' to be the lowest truck vs doing some sort of compromise that gets a nice drop w/some decent sidewall.

Then there's the entry price point 'on the shelf/in stock' CAST wheel choices that come w/limited BS options vs. billet aluminum wheels w/more specific BS options. More BS options allow better (more precise) placement which can lead to more tire size options.

Which category are you?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Your opinion on the ride quality of 20" wheels & tires are subjective when you're comparing that 1 combo on that truck. What size tires were on those 20" wheels you previously used before swapping to the 18" set-up? What size tires are on the 18" set-up?

Welcome.
Wheel & tire combo's are based on individual preferences & budgets.

Research will suggest 20x8 - 8.5's up front will work w/o issue. Steppers are notorious for limited rear fenderwell clearance. I know some have squeezed 20x9.5's but they needed to really nail down back-spacing (BS).

So here's where preference & budget turn the discussion..... Some drops require rubber band sidewalls while others allow moderate. Some guys are obsessed w/the drop amount & opt to run 'whatever will fit' to be the lowest truck vs doing some sort of compromise that gets a nice drop w/some decent sidewall.

Then there's the entry price point 'on the shelf/in stock' CAST wheel choices that come w/limited BS options vs. billet aluminum wheels w/more specific BS options. More BS options allow better (more precise) placement which can lead to more tire size options.

Which category are you?
Thanks for schooling me Scoti and well put also
This is the reason I'm asking these questions , to figure out what my needs are and what will fit my step side . I do want the 20's and for price , I'm in the middle bracket for what I want to spend
Thanks again
Old 10-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Thanks for schooling me Scoti and well put also
This is the reason I'm asking these questions , to figure out what my needs are and what will fit my step side . I do want the 20's and for price , I'm in the middle bracket for what I want to spend
Thanks again
Have you checked out the Billet Specialties 'Speedway' series wheels? They're a nice, middle price point wheel w/several BS options. The 20's are available in 8.5 & 10" widths & a BS range of 4.25 - 5.5".

The nice thing about steppers in my opinion is the ease of 'modding' for additional clearance in the rear if desired. Some measuring/trimming, some fleetside wheel tubs bolted in, & boom..... more room. There's more to it but it's do-able.

Stick w/a tire sidewall as close to or greater than 4" tall for better ride quality (a 245/40-20 would be as short as I would go up front). The taller the sidewall, the better the ride should be.

You mentioned a planned 4/6 drop (mild). Mild drops can handle a ~28" front/29-30" rear tire w/o much (any) issue. More drop or taller tire in front will start to yield clearance problems w/factory inner wheel wells.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-09-2018 at 09:33 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
Mattchu60

TKCR - what size tires are you running on your 18"s? All the 18" tires I could find which were taller were mostly offroad style tires, where the 20" ones are more car/street tires.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
TKCR - what size tires are you running on your 18"s? All the 18" tires I could find which were taller were mostly offroad style tires, where the 20" ones are more car/street tires.
Ridler 645 in Chrome 18x8 up front & 18x9.5 in the rear.
Tires are Pirelli's 265/65/18 all around. They are an All Season tire, Scorpion Verde.

Old set up was, 20x8 255/45/20 front 20x10 285/50/20 rear
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Have you checked out the Billet Specialties 'Speedway' series wheels? They're a nice, middle price point wheel w/several BS options. The 20's are available in 8.5 & 10" widths & a BS range of 4.25 - 5.5".

The nice thing about steppers in my opinion is the ease of 'modding' for additional clearance in the rear if desired. Some measuring/trimming, some fleetside wheel tubs bolted in, & boom..... more room. There's more to it but it's do-able.

Stick w/a tire sidewall as close to or greater than 4" tall for better ride quality (a 245/40-20 would be as short as I would go up front). The taller the sidewall, the better the ride should be.

You mentioned a planned 4/6 drop (mild). Mild drops can handle a ~28" front/29-30" rear tire w/o much (any) issue. More drop or taller tire in front will start to yield clearance problems w/factory inner wheel wells.

Thanks for your input, great help
Have my eye on the Ridlers 695 chrome