The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
GMtrucknut!!

Mustang II front spindles

I bought a TCI coil spring front suspension with stock height spindles around 6 years ago and have been contemplating lowering my truck with 2"drop spindles . Has anyone used anything other than the suppliers spindles on their trucks if they replaced them ? I am thinking about using Speedway's spindles because they are half of what the TCI spindles cost
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Mustang II front spindles

Even though the Speedway haters will probably sound off I don't think safety wise that there is an issue with them. They have sold a lot of them and I have never read where one failed due to not being made right and the haters would have that all over the internet on every forum and FB if there was news one had. Not as nice looking in fit and finish? that might be an issue.

I would search the TCI part number on the net and see if there is a much better price out there though. There might be that one shop that has a set sitting on the shelf they want to unload or that guy who has a new set listed on Ebay because his results were the opposite of yours.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 AM   #3
whitedog76

I have a set of Helix Pro-Touring spindles, which are duplicates of the Wilwood pro-touring. Of course, they're made over seas, but I'm not going to gripe about the quality. The only quality issue with them is the bolts they sent for the removable steering arm. A trip to the hardware store will remedy that. They were 1/2 the price of the Wilwood, so I figured, why not.

I say go for the Speedway units.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
MiraclePieCo

I'm using the Speedway MII drop spindles. Speedway is a big retailer with lots of clout; the quality of their units appears as good as any other spindles I've seen. The first set I got had a cosmetic issue, but of course Speedway immediately replaced it.

Installing drop spindles did result in a brake line clearance issue for me (MII calipers) but Speedway had the parts to resolve that as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 01-22-2019 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Add photo
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
slammed57

wilwood makes a set as well although they look different the are mustang11 based
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
dsraven

keep an eye on the rubber seals for the ball joints. some come off the joint and let road dirt inside the joint. mine are TCI set up so whatever they used at the time don't fit well at all. just a heads up.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
dsraven

on that set up you may be able to slip a length of heater hose over the stud shank to help push the ball joint boot further into place. just a thought.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote