The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
DAVERJ

Carpet question

Doing my homework and getting ready to buy carpet for my 71 Blazer. I like stockinteriors.com, anyone every deal with them??Why would they ask if it's a CST ??
DAVERJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
hemi43

Re: Carpet question

A CST carpet is narrower about 3" in front and behind the wheel well tub because of the side panels. The previous owner of my truck made this mistake and bought CST carpets for it, even though my truck is non-CST. I've used ACC carpets on previous restorations and really liked their quality and fit.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
DAVERJ

So,not knowing if mine is or ever was a true CST,it would be better to order non-CST carpet??
Old 12-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
turp mcspray

If you are going to install the side interior panels, buy for cst. If not, buy the other.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
DAVERJ

Thanks guy's
Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
A CST carpet is narrower about 3" in front and behind the wheel well tub because of the side panels. The previous owner of my truck made this mistake and bought CST carpets for it, even though my truck is non-CST. I've used ACC carpets on previous restorations and really liked their quality and fit.
Probably a stupid question but does the carpet come with a gourmet hole for the dimmer switch?
Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
69-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post
Probably a stupid question but does the carpet come with a gourmet hole for the dimmer switch?
No grommet hole on the ACC carpets I have bought. I just tap the carpet with my foot and it works

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:28 AM   #8
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-72 View Post
No grommet hole on the ACC carpets I have bought. I just tap the carpet with my foot and it works
Thanks - interested if that's what others are doing? Previous owner cut a hole but it frayed and looks like crap.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #9
elkniks

The kit should come with a plastic grommet that covers the hole that you must cut out for the dimmer. I have always used ACC.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #10
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkniks View Post
The kit should come with a plastic grommet that covers the hole that you must cut out for the dimmer. I have always used ACC.
Excellent - thanks! Do you go with the 80-20 loop or Nylon? Which one is closest to original? Also, do you order the mass backing? I am going to put in some type of dynamat as well. Final question - do you have any comparison of carpet over wheel wells vs not? Just curious how much sound difference it makes. Mine currently has the carpet over the wheels but I like the original look without.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
hemi43

I put carpet over the wheelwells because I put Dynamat on them. The mass (jute) backing will make the carpet feel better, but it's a moisture trap. Our Blazers are known for leaks so I wouldn't use it.
If you order a carpet from ACC, it will come with a dimmer grommet like the one in the picture.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
elkniks

I used cut pile for a newer look on my Blazer. I have used the loop also and it looks just like original carpet. If I were to do it again I would use some sort of spray on sound deaden-er instead of stick on mat because of the moisture concerns like posted above. But I will say that dynamat + carpet padding + full carpet made a HUGE difference. I drove around with bare metal floor and 2 chamber flowmasters for a while and it was pretty loud.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #13
Ewr101

I used stock interiors carpet with mass backing. It's really nice. The only thing I wasn't prepared for, having never put in new carpeting, was there were no holes for the seats or dimmer or makings to even get me close. I spent almost three days in my garage in the Texas heat last summer putting it in. Lots of crawling underneath and back into the inside. Wore me out but it's done. Picked up some floor mats for the front, passanger and rear area and I'm pretty happy with it.Hers some before and after pics....
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #14
Ryanz

Awesome thanks guys. If anyone has any feedback on how much of a difference covering the wheel wells with carpet/dynamat makes that would be great. I'd prefer to go with the original look of leaving them off but want my interior to be nice and quiet.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
hemi43

Quote:
Awesome thanks guys. If anyone has any feedback on how much of a difference covering the wheel wells with carpet/dynamat makes that would be great. I'd prefer to go with the original look of leaving them off but want my interior to be nice and quiet.
A Blazer that's quiet?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #16
Rawhedrex

Quote:
I have Dynamat covering the wheel wheels in my Blazer. Makes a slight difference for everyday driving. Big difference when driving in the rain or dirt.
Rawhedrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #17
Ryanz

Quote:
Excellent - thanks! Do you go with the 80-20 loop or Nylon? Which one is closest to original? Also, do you order the mass backing? I am going to put in some type of dynamat as well. Final question - do you have any comparison of carpet over wheel wells vs not? Just curious how much sound difference it makes. Mine currently has the carpet over the wheels but I like the original look without.
Update on the ACC Carpet. Unfortunately this was a disappointing experience for me. The back carpet was a good inch too short and a half inch on each side wall around the fenders. The fit is not good at all.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #18
mrtoni

Sounds like you ordered the cst carpet kit. It is not as wide in the rear in front and back of the wheelwell because the cst side panels would've covered that part. The non-cst goes all the way to the inside body.
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #19
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoni View Post
Sounds like you ordered the cst carpet kit. It is not as wide in the rear in front and back of the wheelwell because the cst side panels would've covered that part. The non-cst goes all the way to the inside body.
Yes, it's the CST because that's what I have. I'm saying it was too narrow between the wheel wells there is at least a half inch on each inside of wheel well that is exposed. Also behind each wheel well it is exposed a half inch and was an inch short at the very back to fit properly under my carpet strip. So now I have it riding up the front of wheel wells just so I could get it to barely catch under carpet strip to hold it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #20
hemi43

Quote:
Yes, it's the CST because that's what I have. I'm saying it was too narrow between the wheel wells there is at least a half inch on each inside of wheel well that is exposed. Also behind each wheel well it is exposed a half inch and was an inch short at the very back to fit properly under my carpet strip. So now I have it riding up the front of wheel wells just so I could get it to barely catch under carpet strip to hold it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's supposed to be like that. The wheel well carpet will cover those bare areas.
It they cut the carpet right to the corners, then there would be no room for the wheel well carpet. As far as the back being too short, are you sure you don't have it in wrong ( front to back)?

Last edited by hemi43; 03-01-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
Ryanz

Quote:
It's supposed to be like that. The wheel well carpet will cover those bare areas.
It they cut the carpet right to the corners, then there would be no room for the wheel well carpet. As far as the back being too short, are you sure you don't have it in wrong ( front to back)?
I wondered about that but from factory the wheel wells aren't covered so I wanted to leave it original. I do have the exta carpet for the wheel wells but neglectant to put them in. Yes, tried it both ways. They left plenty of extra for the front in case you want to run it down to floor. When I flipped it around it was 2.5 inches too short. Trust me, I tried everything several times, much to my frustration. But due to shipping and time sake I decided to live wit it. It measures exactly 2.5 inches shorter than previous carpet. Odd as I had heard this was best place to order from. Plus I ordered the extra mass backing so it was super heavy and cost me a crap load to ship to Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
hemi43

Quote:
I wondered about that but from factory the wheel wells aren't covered so I wanted to leave it original. I do have the exta carpet for the wheel wells but neglectant to put them in. Yes, tried it both ways. They left plenty of extra for the front in case you want to run it down to floor. When I flipped it around it was 2.5 inches too short. Trust me, I tried everything several times, much to my frustration. But due to shipping and time sake I decided to live wit it. It measures exactly 2.5 inches shorter than previous carpet. Odd as I had heard this was best place to order from. Plus I ordered the extra mass backing so it was super heavy and cost me a crap load to ship to Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, that sucks !! ACC is the best out there, but I guess they're not perfect either. Why don't you call ACC and explain with pictures what the problem is. You might be able to have a replacement carpet shipped to Bill's trucks which is located in Canada about 10 minutes from me because I know he only deals with ACC and gets shipments from them every few weeks, then have Bill send it to you. At least this way you may not have to go through the usual customs hassle if ACC will replace it under warranty. Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #23
Ryanz

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks !! ACC is the best out there, but I guess they're not perfect either. Why don't you call ACC and explain with pictures what the problem is. You might be able to have a replacement carpet shipped to Bill's trucks which is located in Canada about 10 minutes from me because I know he only deals with ACC and gets shipments from them every few weeks, then have Bill send it to you. At least this way you may not have to go through the usual customs hassle if ACC will replace it under warranty. Just a thought.
Great idea - thanks. I'll give it a try.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #24
Blazerowner

I have the same problem with my carpet. It's as if the wheel well cutouts are not centered correctly. There is roughly 15 1/2" carpet behind the wheel well and without pulling the carpet up the front of the wheel well it won't be under the rear carpet strip. I'm not happy at all, I bought the carpet a year ago and am just getting to it. I went with the mass backing as well and am wondering if I'm out of money on the back half of the kit. It's at least 2" too short. The front fit no problem.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #25
stangtjk

Glad I saw this post.... I was on the fence about getting the essex carpet set from ACC or doing the interior with spray in liner.... I think I'll go with the liner and skip the fitment issues.
stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote