The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
Curtb1971

Rochester 2G 2bbl carb accelerator pump build

Here is something that I struggled with rebuilding the Rochester 2G carb on my 67 283 and thought this info may help someone out.
The standard carburetor rebuild kits have a bunch of different gaskets, etc parts and are more universal then an exact rebuild for a certain carb. I rebuilt this carb about a year ago and was having trouble with the acc pump from the get go. I finally tore it down again and out of dumb luck ordered a separate acc. pump for a 67 283 to have a spare thinking they all are the same. Well I learnt me sumthin new and they are not. I used the NAPA 2-4037 this time and it runs like a top on hammer down throttle.
Hopefully now I stand a chance with the hot rod lady's that have been whooping my butt off the line.
Attached Images

Curtb1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Rochester 2G 2bbl carb accelerator pump build

Can you tell me just how difficult it is to rebuild the carb in general ? I have a 71 C 10 with a 307. The 2jet has never been rebuilt, I’ve been reading up on the procedure and figured I would try. Older gentleman who has been rebuilding carbs for years said they are not easy to get right.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Curtb1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Can you tell me just how difficult it is to rebuild the carb in general ? I have a 71 C 10 with a 307. The 2jet has never been rebuilt, I’ve been reading up on the procedure and figured I would try. Older gentleman who has been rebuilding carbs for years said they are not easy to get right.
Compared to rebuilding a quadrajet a 2 jet is way less complex. They are quite easy to take apart and set back up in my opinion. Take lots of pictures of the way the linkage is and document your hardware. I would say the most difficult thing about them is setting the acc pump stroke (bending the linkage to set spec)
Old 09-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtb1971 View Post
Here is something that I struggled with rebuilding the Rochester 2G carb on my 67 283 and thought this info may help someone out.
The standard carburetor rebuild kits have a bunch of different gaskets, etc parts and are more universal then an exact rebuild for a certain carb. I rebuilt this carb about a year ago and was having trouble with the acc pump from the get go. I finally tore it down again and out of dumb luck ordered a separate acc. pump for a 67 283 to have a spare thinking they all are the same. Well I learnt me sumthin new and they are not. I used the NAPA 2-4037 this time and it runs like a top on hammer down throttle.
Hopefully now I stand a chance with the hot rod lady's that have been whooping my butt off the line.
I also have a 67,283 (still in the car)with the same carb.
At an estate sale I found an in the box nos carb for the same engine!Of course,this was after I had already rebuilt the first one.They are pretty easy to work on.just pay close attention to the little stuff like gaskets,adjustments,etc.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
mr.precision

Interesting post.
I rebuilt the Rochester 2V, original to my '67 SWB with a 283, early this year. It still has a pause/stumble if the gas pedal is floored. Driving or sitting..... it stumbles like the accel pump isn't working properly. I can see a stream of gas when looking down the carb throat, when the carb is opened up quickly.
Is this a symptom you had?
I have checked the timing, which is set 10* advanced with the vac line plugged off. It acts like the timing is still retarded too much, but I can't help but think it's the carb. Thanks.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Curtb1971

Kind of the same symptoms. That could be a number of different things like
-accelerator pump linkage setting
-Float level
-Timing
283 harmonic balancers have been known to move around so your timing marks may be off unless you have verified tdc. From experience the accelerator pump that comes in the standard carb rebuild kit fits/works but doesn't perform as well as the napa 4037.
I have my timing set advanced 4 degrees at idle, dwell at 30 degrees.