The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2024, 11:14 PM   #126
cwcarpenter98

Re: Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty One View Post
I like the manual-swap!
It's something I was set on doing since I picked it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
You a Street Smart and that T5 will work for you.

If that is what you choose.

It not like you are taking it to the Drag Strip to run the 1/8 mile.
Well, I actually do want to run Penny at the drag strip and also dabble in some autocross. Heck, I might even try some drifting just for the fun of it. Penny is more of my "hot rod" truck than Frankentruck, so some abuse will be happening to the drivetrain.

With that being said, I'm concerned that any t5 will end up dying sooner rather than later with my planned driving style. Yeah, the 2.73 rear doesn't help with the hot rod aspect, but if I can set it up with a transmission to help overcome that rear gear, I'm good with not having an overdrive transmission.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:58 PM   #127
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post

Well, I actually do want to run Penny at the drag strip and also dabble in some autocross. Heck, I might even try some drifting just for the fun of it. Penny is more of my "hot rod" truck than Frankentruck, so some abuse will be happening to the drivetrain.

With that being said, I'm concerned that any t5 will end up dying sooner rather than later with my planned driving style. Yeah, the 2.73 rear doesn't help with the hot rod aspect, but if I can set it up with a transmission to help overcome that rear gear, I'm good with not having an overdrive transmission.
Well, I did not see that coming.

That T5 will hold up till it breaks.

If you put a Low profile tire it will help with the 2:73 Ratio.
That could be a good combo with the 5 speed and 2:73 and smaller tire diameter.

This Fall they do have an Autocross at the C10 Nationals at The Superspeedway
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:54 AM   #128
Darkrider

Finally got fully up to date on this and Frankentruck. Glad to see you are still going at it with them.
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:50 PM   #129
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Finally got fully up to date on this and Frankentruck. Glad to see you are still going at it with them.
Thanks for reading! Progress will be slow until April 15th as it’s tax season. I don’t have much daylight to work on the trucks after work, but I’m making progress when I can.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM   #130
cwcarpenter98

If I don’t stop pulling parts off this truck, I’m gonna eventually get down to a bare frame

With the engine and transmission out, I figured now would be a great time clean up under the hood. The passenger inner fender has multiple rust holes under the battery tray, so I’ve got a new one to replace that with. Also pulled the driver’s side to make cleaning it up easier. It’s still in good shape, so just some new paint will do. That also gives better access to repaint the frame rails and rest of the front suspension that I didn’t do.

I also have decided to replace the brake booster since it’s the original and I’m worried that it will fail at an inopportune moment. Cheaper to replace now than to fight with insurance after running into something.

I’m 100% committed to the manual swap now. Since I was in deep enough to remove the booster from the brake pedal, I went ahead and pulled the steering column out and removed the automatic brake pedal. I already have a set of clutch pedals to put back in, just need to clean them up, replace anything that’s worn and repaint.

I am planning to put the automatic column back in, however if I end up finding a 4 speed tilt column that works with the original wiring, I’ll go with that. I doubt I’ll find one of those, so I’m good with the auto. I plan to just bypass the neutral safety switch. My 63 doesn’t have a nss, so I’m used to starting a vehicle without one

If you’re wondering about the yellow tape, it’s to keep any critters from getting into my cab! I was fully expecting a rats nest inside the a/c box, but pleased to find what looks to be just some 20+ year old tree debris. The heater core leaks, so I’ll be replacing that as well as converting the a/c to 134a.

We are getting some somewhat ok weather for the next week or so. It might be in the dark, but my next plan of attack will be to replace all the sketchy brake hoses, put new seals in the calipers, new wheel cylinders and shoes for the rear, and new master and booster. Being a Georgia truck since new, the original hard lines are still in good shape.
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport