The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #2701
dsraven

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Danny boy,
thanks for the tire size, it's the same as what I had planned to run. I was curious what the rpm would be like at freeway speeds with that size tire and 3.73 gears. I found my link to the calculator so no worries. what diff ratio are you running, just out of curiousity?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #2702
Dan in Pasadena

3.73’s!

It had much lower (numerical) ratio but I thought it would be a dog with a ratio in the high 2.00’s. Switched them out

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:07 AM   #2703
Nut Case

Dan

Fandamtastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfiltered thought: use the port that has been suggested to check oil pressure, and use copper for the line, and then add an engine oil cooler to help with the higher temps.

I'm with you cooler is better. Just a thought

Keep on keepin on

NC
Old 10-31-2018, 03:58 AM   #2704
dsraven

some engine temp info here. a good reliable gage would be a bonus as would a second sensor in the other head if you worry about it. steam ports connected properly may also help. like nut case says, an oil cooler would be a bonus as well.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #2705
Dan in Pasadena

Happy Halloween gentlemen.

I stopped by Mike’s last night. He and one of the guys that did a lot of the work on my truck were saying the sensor at the top rear center of my engine is 1 of 2. The top one is connected to the Holley computer. The one sending a signal to the HDX is on the driver side of the oil pan.

Thanks to dsraven for the links to the pictures I am posting below. On my engine they drilled and threaded the factory indent on the cover and it looks exactly like the ones in these pics.

The obvious thing is to swap out the sensor on the pan. But I can connect the manual S&W gauge I borrowed from Mike to that location, drive around a bit to make SURE there is no intermittent oil pressure issue - though Mike says it’s impossible to have an “intermittent” issue on an LS and is almost certainly a sensor issue.

He explained/showed me that the LS oil pump drive is directly off the front of the crank. It reminds me of a “Wankel” style eccentric pump with no sacrificial breakable part like the plastic/phenolic connector on an SBC/BBC engine. The only way the oil pump can fail catastrophically is if the engine seizes. Otherwise he says the oil pressure would go away slowly like if a cam bearing were wearing out fast. I’d notice 5 or 10 psi lower pressure after drive.

Also, again he mentioned the valve train will make noticeable clatter the moment it has low oil. I heard none of that when the issue happened and also my transmission cover was off and my windows open when happened at low speed so I would have heard. I WAS listening for any odd noises too; it was the first longish drive.

Last, I asked him if the computer would shut off the engine if it’s sensor detected no/low oil pressure? He said it would not.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-31-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #2706
dsraven

the ls engines have an issue with the oil pump pick up tube where it goes into the oil pump. the "O" ring can leak air if it is not sealing like it should. this would be on a used engine more so than a rebuilt engine due to the "O" ring getting hard over time but still possible. it is, as said, likely a sensor issue. the manual check should tell you. maybe a good idea to keep the guage in there for a bit just to make sure it's all good.
what I have done in the past, on offroad buggies and large equipment or vehicles where there is a lot of noise etc, is hook up a low oil pressure switch to a large light in the cab, like the "idiot lights" that a lot of cars have but something huge and in your face, so when the oil pressure drops or goes away the light comes on to draw your attention to the dash. not too many people are driving around with their eyes glued to the cluster so low oil pressure could be going on for a bit before you know it. the light could be connected to something discreet, like a loud buzzer in the fuse panel even, so the dash stays nice and clean looking but whatever you connect it to would get your attention for sure.
one thing to ask would be if the fuel pump is connected to a low oil pressure switch so the fuel would get cut off under these circumstances. some have that and some don't. good idea though. gm did that way back in the 70's when the electric fuel pumps were becoming more common. I remember having a 72 chevy vega that had an in tank electric pump which was controlled by the oil pressure switch (yep, a v8 vega guy back in the day).
anyway, just some thoughts.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #2707
dsraven

the sensor on the oil pan is likely connected to that oil cooler block off plate. you could easily install a "T" fitting there and run the sensor and the oil line to the manual guage. like said, use a copper line from there up to the guage or at least past the engine and exhaust heat. I know a nice stainless braid hose looks great under the hood but they are usually teflon or plastic/nylon tubing inside the braid. not that great with high heat. make sure to use some clamps on the tubing to keep it from vibrating because the copper can develop cracks next to the fittings from work hardening of the copper.
I have often thought a small manual guage installed in the glove box temporarily (or not) or somewhere out of sight would be good to have for situations like this. if you have a low oil pressure indicated on the cluster you could simply open the glove box for a look at reality the old fashioned way, analog.
keep us posted on how it all works out
Old 10-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #2708
Black_Sheep

I would call the manufacturer and ask for tech support. Chances are they have seen this issue before and can suggest some checks to drill down on the problem.

You could also install a T fitting and add a temporary mechanical gauge so you can monitor them both. Then you would know if it’s the gauge or the engine.

I’m guessing it’s something simple like the sender or a bad connection
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #2709
MIKESAD50

Dan can you get into the Holley injection system and read oil pressure out of that sensor?
I can go into the GM ECU and read oil pressure out of it using the sensor at the back of the manifold.
My Dakota Digital sensor is in the the cooler block ff plate as pictured above. If in doubt get a manual gauge on it to verify the electrics.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #2710
Dan in Pasadena

Mike, Yes there is a hand held monitor under my seat I can use to check the readout on the main HDX. Mike suggested I do that too.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #2711
Dan in Pasadena

Just an update for my own records:

I haven't had the time to even hook up the oil pressure gauge to the truck because we're prepping for a weekend camping trip with the extended family, BUT I did pull it out of the garage.

Took it for a ride around the block, went to back it into the driveway and at idle it died. It restarted but ran like crap. It was coughing and struggling. Managed to get it up the approach but it died again and would not restart.

I know it has gas because the gauge says it's full and because I filled the tank before installing the bed wood - I haven't cut the access door to refill it yet. The fill hole is taped shut but since it ran for maybe 2-3 miles before the oil pressure thing made me shut it down I assume the lack of a vent isn't the issue(?)

Anyway, it got pushed down the driveway into the garage and will stay unaddressed until after this weekend's outing. It had been starting and running absolutely fine before. Any ideas come to mind anyone?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #2712
Kim57

Sounds like a bad fuel pump.
Hope you get it figured out.
Kim
Old 11-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #2713
dsraven

if it wasn't carbed I would say check your maf sensor or the connection to it.
pull the air filter and see if you get gas from the accell pump when you pump the lever. if good, pull a plug and see what it looks like, clean or sooty.
maybe you had a mouse drag a nest into your exhaust. had that problem with the brother in law's scooter, finally got it fired up and it backfired and blew popcorn and rice all over the place. sister in law said the mouse displaced almost a whole bag of rice while they were away for the winter, didn't know about the popcorn, lol.
also check all the vac fittings, hoses and wires to ensure something didn't come loose or burn on a header etc. you come this far, you'll figure it out
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #2714
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Sounds like a bad fuel pump.
Hope you get it figured out.
Kim
Funny you say that because I stopped to talk to Mike and his first question was if I could hear the fuel pump when I keyed it? I honestly haven't noticed.

Then he reminded me (I should have remembered) there is a handheld screen for the ECM under my seat. I just have to pull it out and it will likely tell me what the issue is. Supposedly it's intuitive like a smart phone so I should be able to use it.

I've been prepping our RV & new "toad" (2012 Fiat 500) for an upcoming camping trip so I moved the '55 into the garage and haven't messed with it. again. Possibly tonight after work.

I'm hoping it's fuel starvation from the lack of a vent on the filler neck. I have tape over it (still haven't installed the in-bed fill door/cap), the fuel pump fuse, or the pump has crapped - though it's brand new so I kind doubt that. As I'm typing this the thought that it drove 2-3 miles before the oil pressure issue surfaced makes me wonder if the pump was pulling against the vacuum created by the taped filler and either drew too much power -fuse blown OR actually pulled the tape off the filler into the tank and clogged the feed tube - UGH.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #2715
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if it wasn't carbed I would say check your maf sensor or the connection to it.....
It's NOT carbed. That's a Holley throttle body but I like your thinking. More things to check - thanks!

PS: Man, you're terrifying me with the mouse suggestion. Why? Because I DO have issues with rats in our detached garage and shop. I've snap trapped them, poisoned them, etc. and they eventually come back every time. I wish there was some way to train a rescue cat to live just in my garage/shop. Of course my little dogs wouldn't like it! Back when the truck was in it's shop truck look I'd just totally cleaned, repainted the engine Chevy orange, put on a new aluminum manifold and finned valve covers and it was looking good, I had it parked in front of the garage for two weeks and when I went back rats had nested on my new manifold and peed on it, etc. SERIOUSLY pissed me off!

The thing that lessens the mouse/rat concern is that I was able to easily start it and run it out of the garage and around the block before it suddenly died at idle/won't restart. But I will definitely be taking a look down the throttle body.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 11-14-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #2716
G&R's57GMC

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Be sure to check the wiring under the hood for chew marks, those pesky varmints love wire insolation .

An other trick is to keep the hood fully up to keep them from nesting in a closed space.

BTW do vent the tank when running the engine.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #2717
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Be sure to check the wiring under the hood for chew marks, those pesky varmints love wire insolation .

An other trick is to keep the hood fully up to keep them from nesting in a closed space.

BTW do vent the tank when running the engine.
Thanks Glen. Good idea on leaving the hood open. Anyone know what that does to the pneumatic shocks on my billet hinges? Anything of concern?

No chew marks or evidence of any damage but I don’t want to wait for it to happen. I’ve heard that mint oil and mothballs work for mice.....but not indefinitely. No idea if they do anything at all to rats?

I’ve used snap traps with SOME success. Some because I once had one get partially snapped and it screamed running off with the trap on it. Weirded me out. I want them gone but I don’t want to torture or maim one! I still feel bad about that.

Poison has worked til i started finding dead ones in my dog’s water bowl. I guess they get a morbid thirst trying to neutralize it so that’s out.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #2718
G&R's57GMC

Happy Holidays everyone ☃️
From Glen and Jane ��
Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #2719
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Happy Holidays everyone ☃️
From Glen and Jane ��
Same to you and Jane!

From Jim and Lois
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #2720
JSavoie

And Seasons Greetings from "La Belle Province" (Quebec)!
JSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #2721
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks Glen. Good idea on leaving the hood open. Anyone know what that does to the pneumatic shocks on my billet hinges? Anything of concern?

No chew marks or evidence of any damage but I don’t want to wait for it to happen. I’ve heard that mint oil and mothballs work for mice.....but not indefinitely. No idea if they do anything at all to rats?

I’ve used snap traps with SOME success. Some because I once had one get partially snapped and it screamed running off with the trap on it. Weirded me out. I want them gone but I don’t want to torture or maim one! I still feel bad about that.

Poison has worked til i started finding dead ones in my dog’s water bowl. I guess they get a morbid thirst trying to neutralize it so that’s out.
I have 3 dogs, 2 medium (50lb) and 1 small (10lb), we got this tough orange cat from the shelter a few years ago. It has brought be home 100's of mice, probably 30 gophers, unknown amount of birds and lizards. It lives in my garage and outdoors only. My neighbors said they've seen it hunting their yard too. Anyhow, no rodent issues here. Just saying, the cat idea works.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:13 AM   #2722
Dan in Pasadena

How do you teach a cat to stay in your yard - well, most of the time anyway?

If I bring home an adopted adult male cat and feed & water it in my garage only, will it necessarily stay or just walk away? I have two small dogs. One 11lbs, a little male toy poodle and a female low-to-the-ground 25 lb dog. Neither has an issue with cats but I suspect that might change if they suddenly have one in THEIR backyard/garage.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #2723
dsraven

adult male cats are like teenage boys. they have one thing on their mind and come and go as they see fit. usually come home to recuperate after a fight over a female or their turf. cut ears, scratched noses, torn claws etc.
stick with a fish if you wanna have another (reliable) pet. they are always home and don't make a lot of noise at night, haha.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #2724
G&R's57GMC

Well if the male cat is a good mouser and you want to save on vet bills get him fixed. He will stay home more.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #2725
svr

Wife has 3 cats around here, 2 males that i think are the laziest still breathing animals i've ever seen, they eat and sleep, and a spayed female that is a mouse killin machine. She likes to leave the heads and left overs on the door step along with the occasional bird. She will be sitting on the door step and decide to take off and be back in 10 minutes with a fresh mouse, not many mouse problems since she showed up, may she live a long time. All are outside all the time, had to build a cat house so wife was happy.