The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #26
angelobackwards

Re: 56 task force on 80 1/2 ton frame pictures

Progress looks good. I too have a 58 on a square body frame. Rockers are still a little high after 5" drop in front and 7" in the rear. Prob leave it for now. Anyways good work, looks good!
angelobackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #27
56hotrodred

Hey thanks. I did I think a Belltech 4 inch front and 6 or more inch rear drop in rear. Can't remember for sure what the drop was right now!!! Old age I guess...

I used drop spindles in front and lowering shackles and removed 2 leaves in each side in back.

This is to keep costs down for now but am hoping to go Ridetech 4 link rear and a set of their upper and lower a frames with coil overs or air at some time down the road.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #28
angelobackwards

Yeah I have the same intentions nice coil setup and 4 link rear. . Just trying to get it on the road first. How much did you take off the front horns for the front bumper. Also is your transmission pretty far from the floor? I have a good 8" from the floor to the trans, just wondering is yours is the same. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #29
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelobackwards View Post
Yeah I have the same intentions nice coil setup and 4 link rear. . Just trying to get it on the road first. How much did you take off the front horns for the front bumper. Also is your transmission pretty far from the floor? I have a good 8" from the floor to the trans, just wondering is yours is the same. Thanks for the info!
Ya that's my story also. Ridetech has some nice suspensions for the square body trucks now. I am looking at the middle of the road one for about 5 thousand if my memory serves... Much more important to get it on the road first and play more later.

I can't remember how much I took off the horns but I bet a have them lying around still. I will have look tomorrow. The th400 I had in there was fairly close to the floor if I remember correctly. Like an inch or two! It's been awhile since I had it at that mock up stage so I can't say for sure. Sorry I can't be more help there!

The more I think about it there may have been more than an inch or two considering how the frame drops and the 3 or 4 inches I had to raise the front cab mounts.

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 04-16-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #30
angelobackwards

Yeah after the $ I've spent already should have saved and just bought a frame, oh well now. Yeah I still need to set my trans angle it's at about 8-9 degrees. Using a CPP trans xmember. Think I'm gonna have to get some angle iron and weld on the inside of the frame to pick it up some.

Hope to see some progress soon. Thanks for the help and information.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelobackwards View Post
How much did you take off the front horns for the front bumper?
Sorry to take so long to get back to you but I have been absorbed with welding on the cab!!!

I can't seem to find the frame horn pieces that I cut off...

But here are a few photos of the front frame area where I cut off the frame horns. You should be able to see as a reference where I cut mine. This leaves about 1/4 inch space between the bumper and the front valance below the grille.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #32
angelobackwards

Oh yeah that'll work. I'll be using those! Appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #33
56hotrodred

Now using those measurements will of course depend on where you placed the rear cab mounts. Everything meaning the cab and front fenders and of course rad support, will work forward from that point.

Do you have a picture of where you actually set your rear cab mounts?

I could check mine and see if we are close!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #34
angelobackwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56hotrodred View Post
Now using those measurements will of course depend on where you placed the rear cab mounts. Everything meaning the cab and front fenders and of course rad support, will work forward from that point.

Do you have a picture of where you actually set your rear cab mounts?

I could check mine and see if we are close!
I used the original cab mount of locations for both front and rear. I'll try and swing a picture today when I get to the shop.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #35
56hotrodred

Ya I would be interested in seeing your placement. I know the square body rear cab mounts are located in an upper frame crossmember while my Task Force rear cab mounts were welded on the outside of the frame. What amazed me was they were the correct width once welded on the frame. Had to build up the front cab mounts to compensate for the square body frame drop.

I believe I moved ahead about a half inch with my rear cab mounts trying to maintain some space between firewall and distributor on my mock up engine.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #36
dug224

Really clean work. Enjoying level of detail.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #37
angelobackwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56hotrodred View Post
Ya I would be interested in seeing your placement. I know the square body rear cab mounts are located in an upper frame crossmember while my Task Force rear cab mounts were welded on the outside of the frame. What amazed me was they were the correct width once welded on the frame. Had to build up the front cab mounts to compensate for the square body frame drop.

I believe I moved ahead about a half inch with my rear cab mounts trying to maintain some space between firewall and distributor on my mock up engine.
Yeah my mounts sit up high as well. This is only picture I could really swing today. Cab is on to mock steering and brake pedal etc. hope it helps. Used stock locations. Using e-z chassis swap kit.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #38
56hotrodred

Here are a few pictures of what I have been up to in the shop the last few days.

The first two are where I started today and where I ended up! About 4 hours start to finish - or at least partially welded in! I am only fully cutting out one piece at a time, and then partially welding one in, although I do have to remove some of the other two pieces ahead of time but not enough for any general shape to change. The lower door hinge pocket is composed of three pieces and I think I said before these reproduction pieces fit pretty well.

The final picture is the other side I have nearly completed. Still some welding and grinding to finish but for the most part done! If I had to guess I would say probably 25 or more hours in this first side. Nothing happens fast, good fit is one of your best friends, keeping everything really clean especially butt welding edges and finding the right setting on your welder. So far on both sides I have only burnt a hole through once!!! I am happy with that for sure.

Notice the cab is sitting on its firewall on a dolly.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #39
56hotrodred

This is where my firewall clean-up is now at!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #40
56hotrodred

Here are a few other things I am working on.

I havde tried the Tremec App to measure my driveline angle. It says the engine is sitting at 5.7 degrees. I can lift the rear trans crossmember to reduce that a bit if needed.Does this look like too much? Its hard using my iPhone to measure angle on rear differential but if I am reading it correct it is about the same.

It looks like I have about 9 inches of clearance between the radiator and the engine block at the closest point. This is measured low on the block and with the VA front runner requiring, at that location, 6.25 inches and the dual electric fan requiring about 2.5 inches, at its widest point, I will just make it!

I have had to switch to an aftermarket rear transmission crossmember that I had laying around after my trans guy suggested I take a 700r4 case to mock things up better. The stock crossmember interfered with the trans pan!

It should be easy to raise this one if I need to raise it up to reduce angle.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
56hotrodred

So here is how my trans cooler is currently sitting in front of the condenser and behind the grille.

Hope it shows up but I have about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from grille and it sits about an inch in front of condenser. Still partially held in place by plastic zip ties but those will be changed out to bolts.

Pretty tight fit but I really wanted it to sit up front for maximum cooling without a fan required and upon the high recommendation from my transmission guy after I told him that I am not running the transmission cooling through the radiator. This seemed to keep him happy, regarding the upcoming warrantee of the transmission.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #42
56hotrodred

So I am getting ready to put my cab back on the frame one more time! This time in order to confirm distributor room near firewall and plan a small firewall modification suggested and shown by Ogre.

This is to allow for room of the distributor module as found on the 350 Ramjet motor I am planning on getting.

Here are pictures of the floorboards and inner fenders which got primer and undercoated at the same time.The bond that you see on the floor boards is a fibreglass reinforced bondo put on over any welding I had to do. The rubberized undercoating is from Eastwood. You can see the epoxy primer on the engine side of one of the inner fender photos and the same undercoating on the wheel side.

I am pretty happy with the undercoating except the economy gun I purchased with the quart cans of primer did not work at all for me. I emailed Eastwood and they knew of the problem and are issuing me a credit right away. Luckily I had purchased enough of the undercoating in aerosol cans to do the vast majority of the job. The engine side of the inner fenders is getting Eastwood underhood paint, I think it is called!

Going to let this stuff sit for a few days then when one of my sons is on days off we will put it back on.
Attached Images

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 11-17-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #43
56hotrodred

Well its been hard to get much done lately with lots of snow everyday that requires tractor to clear and visiting kids wanting old snowmobiles going. Too cold yet to ride them much but it is suppose to warm up in a day or two. probably more snow on the ground than we have had for years.

I have been trying to get a few things sorted out before we go to Arizona for a few months to escape winter. That way when I am down there I will know what parts I need to bring back.

Still planning on 350 Ramjet and 700r4 transmission in the spring.

These photos show lots of little things nearly complete including the firewall bulkhead connector for the air conditioning/heating, the transmission cooler placement, the dual spall fan ongoing fitting, my master brake booster and lines hanging and the distance I have between firewall and current mockup distributor!

Many of these things were worked out with considerable help from our forum members. Thanks for all the continuing help. Would be much harder to make these small gains without you all.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #44
56hotrodred

Not too sure of my attached pictures are working. Its been snowing pretty steady blocking my satellite internet from functioning properly, the kids have used up my monthly bandwidth and i might have used the wrong camera!!!

Ill check back in a day or two when the sky clears and the new monthly internet bandwidth starts over.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #45
56hotrodred

Looks like my pictures finally loaded and they look bad!!!

I will try to re-shoot them before I head south this Friday.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #46
bowt1ed

Hey 56,
Sorry if I missed it, but why the 2 holes either side in your grill fill panels?

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #47
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Hey 56,
Sorry if I missed it, but why the 2 holes either side in your grill fill panels?

Cheers, Jim
I am hoping to make some sort of fresh air intake system. After researching it some more I am probably going to only use the one on the right/passenger side.

Will also require a similar hole cut in the inner fender to get it into engine compartment.

I have not quit figured it all out yet as I just got it put back together and I am really going to need the Ram Jet engine installed to finalize it.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #48
56hotrodred

Well I have been fairly busy since getting back home from the sunny south. As noted in the general forum I picked up my new GM Ramjet 350 and now have it painted Chevy orange but I now also have the rebuilt 700R4 transmission. They painted it but it was a crappy paint job so I now have it sanded and ready for another coat of paint.

I have also finished the radiator, AC condenser and trans cooler mounting and have it installed in the truck. I will have to remove it at least one more time but it feels good to have it basically done.

I am hooking up the fuel lines and about to install a 10 micron in-line fuel filter.

Lots of things are coming together which feels real good but still lots left.

I think I have a guy to weld the bottoms of the doors up and will be taking the cab and doors to him later this month. He's about 1/2 the price of a body shop and will let me help so I am sure I will learn something. I did try to weld the bottom of one up but it warped like crazy.

I will also be dropping by a couple of body shops to get a quote on painting the truck.

Once I get a quote then it comes home to be removed from the frame for one more time. The cab will then go in to get the firewall and dash painted and in the meantime I will be installing the new motor and transmission. The cab will then come back and I can put it back on for the very last time and start the wiring.

Things are finally starting to come together!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #49
56hotrodred

Well I have been pretty busy getting things done on my build!

After a bit of trouble getting the proper torque converter for the 700R4 I got the engine and tranny married and installed in the frame. I then just had to install the Tri-Y headers and they seem to fit great.

I have also pretty much completed the core support with radiator and trans and air conditioning condenser and spall fans.

This really was the first time it was all (i.e. Ram Jet engine in frame with core support and fans, etc...) fitted together and after all the hard calculations and planning it seems like I have just enough clearance between my Vintage Air Front Runner system and the dual fans. I have about 1/4 inch!!!

Not sure if it was good luck or good planning. Of course I still don't have the cab back on with the inner fenders which will really tell the tale. It does look like I will be okay though.

The last photo is the cab loaded on a trailer going into Lethbridge to get the lower door skins replaced along with other things done before it goes to the body shop.

I found a great "metal guy" in the city who after working with him on and off for about 2 weeks am really impressed with his skills. He will get more of my work and I highly recommend him. More on him later!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #50
56hotrodred

After almost finishing the cab and getting it ready to go to the body shop I took some pictures. I fully realize now I should have taken a few "in progress" shots but we were so busy and I was so hyped to have a guy who was taking my project to the next level in my opinion.

His technique to weld on the lower due skins was amazing and I learned a lot. I can post again on his technique if any one is interested. It is a bit of everything I have read with his own twists. There was minimal warpage or tin-canning and required minimal planishing. It looks really good in person.

The door gaps that we could work on turned out really good. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures.

I had earlier tried to weld on one of the lower door skins and it warped really bad so I had to cut it off! Much harder than cab corners, lower steps, rockers and even the lower hinge pockets that I had done earlier.

I also had welded in a patch over the fuel filler hole but asked for him to do it over. It took him about 2 hours to re-do the gas filler patch and it was the best $100.00 I have spent on the truck!!!

We also built a custom lower dash extension. I plan on cutting 4 rectangular holes in it for my air conditioning vents and installing a transmission temp gauge and clock into it. I really did not want to cut any holes in my virgin dash. This was not all that hard for this guy but it did get a little tricky making sure the glove box door opened and that the Vintage Air condenser fit under the dash. Luckily he had a few more tricks up his sleeves and we got it all to fit.

The plan is to take the cab into a body shop I have been in contact with and have them prime it all using what little bondo they will need and it won't be much and paint the firewall and dash. I can then install the cab on the frame and get it running in order to get it back to the body shop.

I have also brought him the front fenders to work his magic on while I work on the box and rear fenders a bit more at home. No rust in front or rear fenders or the box but a few dents that he can massage out. He may also get the rear fenders but they really don't need much work. Not major anyway.
Attached Images

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 07-20-2018 at 12:45 AM.