The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #76
56hotrodred

Re: 56 task force on 80 1/2 ton frame pictures

Hey thanks.

Yes there are 8 fuses in the Ron francis Ramjet Fuel Injection System but they are designed to protect the right and left injectors, ignition coil/feed, fuel pump relay, ECM and the likes.

The American Autowire fuse panel provides the remaining bumper to bumper wiring and protects everything else in the truck.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #77
56hotrodred

Things are moving slowly on my build as I am now fully engulfed into the wiring. Slow going but I now have the AAW fuse panel in and am starting to hook up individual circuits.

The wiring under the cab is secured and covered with braided loom and cable clamps. That alone took the better part of a full day!

In the 2 photos you can again see the Ron Francis Ramjet wiring in the cab behind the seat, still not hooked up to main control unit as I am waiting for some individual wire clamps/tie-downs to fasten them down and keep things neat back there!

You can also see the beginning of the AAW install with as much Dynamat on the firewall as I could stick down.

I am leaving a fair bit of slack in the wiring to the dash so in the future I can take it out and basically set it on my lap, when I have a seat in, to look on or work on things. It looks like I have room under the dash for the extra wiring that is a result of this slack.

So far I am happy with how far the Dynamat has gone. I know its expensive but I have about $200.00 invested in it so far and that has covered the firewall and the roof. I will need more to do the floor and will have to talk to the body shop, as they still have my doors, about making sure the insides of the doors get something also. I can't believe how it took the tin can sound out of the roof!

I am running into a few issues that I don't know how to deal with yet!

For one I see that I have a wire identified to go to the electric choke! I don't have an electric choke with the Ramjet 350!

Do I just eliminate that wire? Do I totally remove it?

I am also trying to figure out the electronic speedometer! Not sure at all what needs to be done there!

Might have to email AAW and/or Ron Francis to see how that goes.

I am sure there will be more questions for both companies.

Sometimes the answer(s) presents itself as you move to the next step or otherwise look ahead at the instructions.

One example of that that made me feels stupid is that when I was running Ron Francis wires in the engine compartment I installed a wire to each the water temp and oil pressure gauges but low and behold those wires are included in the AAW classic update kit. I had to look ahead a step or two in the instructions when all of a sudden I had 2 sets of wires for each of them. Kind of a duh moment.

I am sure there will be more as electrical stuff has always mystified me!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 AM   #78
angelobackwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56hotrodred View Post
So sorry i posted my build pictures in the general forum and not here. I will try to keep the build pictures here and other general questions elsewhere. So here are my build pictures.
What gas tank are you using. Looks killer!
angelobackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #79
56hotrodred

That gas tank is a 20 gallon tank from No Limit. Its fits nice in the 1980 frame but I did have to move a couple of things around, like the rear brake line mount and I had to move the rear crossmember back.

One of the things I like the best about this tank and the way it mounts is that it sits up higher than most. Looking straight on the back, with the rear bumper on, you can just barely see it. That was important to me to get it up as high as possible.

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 11-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #80
joedoh

what a great color!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #81
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
what a great color!
Thanks a lot. I think it looks even better in person than a picture.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #82
56hotrodred

I have been wrestling with things electrical and it has been a steep learning curve.

Luckily American Autowire has a great support staff, actually have only been dealing with one guy, named Josh, and he is really knowledgable and helpful.

Ron Francis help has also pulled through a couple of times.

I have to stop working on electrical things and get the truck ready to send back to the body shop before we head to Arizona. Most of the major stuff has been figured out and I don't want to hook up stuff like front headlights, turn signals, rear lights and brakes, etc until I get it back in the spring.

I was going to try to get it running before it went back to body shop but have now decided against it because I won't have time to work the bugs out. I fear someone at the body shop firing it up and something happening.

Tomorrow I get the front fenders back from the metal guy and will be able to put them and the hood back on. I am taking him the back fenders to massage back into perfect shape. The body shop only has to clean, spray epoxy primer, put very little mud on and final prime. Should keep costs down some as metal guy is less expensive then body shop.

The seat is temporary but should get me buy for the meantime. Also visible is a rag over the master brake cylinder. I am bleeding it before moving out to the wheels. I at first had it elevated in the front and the bleeding did not seem to be working very well. Now that its level it seems to be working better but will let it sit over night and pump it up a bit more tomorrow. I also have the steering wheel on and think it may be too close, but only buy an inch or so! I am going to leave it for now until I get my new seat and see where it all ends up then.

I am pretty happy with the results so far.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #83
Rickysnickers

You've really done a nice job a nice on this project!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #84
dsraven

looking good.
just curious on the air filter location. do you drive in wet conditions much? could "inhale" some water like that.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #85
56hotrodred

I actually have a 3-sided metal box that fits over the air cleaner only leaving it open on the top and front. I may even close the top in. Should be good.

This one won't be driven in the rain on purpose anyway!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #86
56hotrodred

Getting ready to bring the truck back to body shop before we head south. I had a delay in getting the front fenders as my metal guy accidentally filled in the emblem holes! Anyway their back in and I have the front fenders home now.

Working like crazy to get a bunch of little stuff buttoned up... so much little stuff to do... but I am now prioritizing what actually needs to be done now!

I gave up on trying to get it running and feel its better anyway that its not!

The front fenders turned out amazing.

May have to lower it a bit down the road but for now it will be just fine.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2018, 03:10 AM   #87
56hotrodred

Well big day today, in fact the last few days have been big or at least long days!!!

I was working on getting the truck ready to take into the body shop - about an hours drive from here.

Had a few issues with getting the brakes to work and the power steering filled up with fluid and then stopped several leaks after they were fill. Both had their own individual issues that took a fair amount of time.

The brakes I never did get working but I believe that is due to the old front callipers that I continued to use for mock-up. It looks like they have seized up or something or just dried out. They have been sitting dry for quit some time. I did not want to change them over to new ones yet as I am going to get my mechanic, before he inspects it prior to registration, to change the rotors and callipers and check all my front end work prior to alignment. Having him check it all over is a good idea I think.

The power steering, without engine running, was just to get some fluid in and get ride of leaks. That I did but then I could hardly steer it! I ended up removing most of the power steering fluid and at least you can steer it now. The guys at the body shop thanked me for that one as it makes their lives much easier.

When we get back in late March I will take rear window in and we will put both front and back windows in. I will do side windows when I get it home after I get some hush mat or something in them.

Anyway here is a picture of it outside for the first time and another with it loaded up. Notice no snow on the hills!!! Pretty nice winter so far but it has been really windy lately.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #88
56hotrodred

Got back from Arizona a couple of weeks ago and took the opportunity to drop by the body shop to see if they were making any progress!

Progress is slower then I would like but things are moving - maybe a little faster now that I am back.

The shop manager says he had a busy winter "collision season" and staff issues.

Anyway here is a picture of the truck in the shop.

I took the plastic sheet off the engine compartment for picture.

They are working on rear roll pan and now the gaps between doors and front fenders.

Pretty much everything else is in primer.

Things are looking real good.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #89
56hotrodred

Things are progressing after what seems like a bit of a delay. These pictures loaded a little funny and I hope it all works again.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #90
56hotrodred

Things keep moving along actually quit quickly now!

You can see I have opted to get the inner fenders - both front and rear - Linexed.

I don't see me going down too may gravel roads and I live on the highway but am hoping it will protect the paint from road debris being kicked up.

Also final block sanding beginning.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #91
56hotrodred

I will try loading pictures again.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #92
56hotrodred

Just about ready for paint - a couple of photos from body shop manager.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #93
56hotrodred

A few steps closer!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #94
56hotrodred

And even closer yet - just got out of the booth about 10:00 pm tonight. Still a couple of coats of clear to go but it is looking pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #95
56hotrodred

Heres a couple more photos with things starting to go back together.

I mistakenly said in the last post that clear was not on yet!

All small parts are ready to shoot with box sides ready later today. Should be able to shoot last of paint early next week.

It actually has 2 coats already on - shot before pulling from the booth.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #96
Chris74

WOW That looks amazing
Chris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #97
Kim57

Looks great.
Kim
Old 07-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #98
56hotrodred

Thanks Chris and Kim.

I am pretty stoked right now and hope to have it home in a week or so.

Im estimating about 85% done but know the last 15% is going to be the hardest.

Might pull a mechanic friend in to remove pinion nut and shaft so I can go larger u-joints and bigger diameter driveshaft. Need to make a new driveshaft anyway. While he's here I may have him help set timing and prime oil and just look it over.

He will be getting it for the final inspection before registering when I am going to have him check front end and align all the new parts I installed up there.

Still also a fair bit of wiring to do as I left that un-done on purpose before it went and sat in the autobody shop for many months.

I am going in this week as soon as the box and rear fenders are painted and on so I can see the almost finished product!

I have a truck load of parts for the body shop including side windows, inner door hardware, door and window handles, rear window and more...
Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #99
oldman3

Been following your build for awhile, just haven't posted. Very nice work and truck is looking great...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #100
geezer#99

Nice truck!
Brings back memories!
I built a 56 back 20 years ago. Lots of work! Used part of an 80 gmc frame.
Sold to a guy from Smithers BC. Last I heard it’s still ripping up the streets with a blown 427.
Looks like soon you’ll be cruising the dub!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote