The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #26
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Went on vacation to St Thomas, so I wasn't able to work on the truck. Tonight I got a cab roller built and set under the cab. I also ordered some parts to refurbish the gauges and fix the one passenger panel with a patch. PA law requires no holes that allow exhaust to enter the cab, so I know I have to deal with this stuff before I'm road worthy. I'm also going to be in a holding pattern for the next couple of months because I need the other side of the garage to dismantle the S10 and the boss says no until the winter is behind us.

So, while the S10 is still together, I put her to work and got some firewood Also replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing just to sort out some vibrations.

Nerdy Parts list:
5" rollers from harbor freight. 2x4s in a square just wide enough to pass the legs of the 2T harbor freight lift arms. 48"x48".

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #27
49chevy3100

Looks like she coming along I still gotta take my 49 apart. When you plan or taking the s10 apart? I took for ever until I got motor sold and haven't done anything to s10 just front end gone waiting to see if I can get more parts sold before I thrash it
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #28
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49chevy3100 View Post
Looks like she coming along I still gotta take my 49 apart. When you plan or taking the s10 apart? I took for ever until I got motor sold and haven't done anything to s10 just front end gone waiting to see if I can get more parts sold before I thrash it
Trying to keep the S10 together as long as possible just because its functional and I don't have the garage space for all those body parts. Not to worry though, I've been busy with projects in between. Currently working on the passenger side floor rust problem. I was originally going to get a patch panel, but I realized this section is just a flat piece of metal with some lips bent into the edges. I think I'll try and fab my own for a change. I did get the patch panel for the inner front fender section (2), so I just need the floor pan piece (1) with the battery hole. Anyone know what gauge the floor metal is?

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Last edited by gigamanx; 02-13-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
Dave836

Looks good so far! I have to second ( or third) the motion of what you have to start with will make things much easier. I am building an a.d. /s10 swap using the ls. I have mixed feelings about what people are saying as far as to just stick with what you have for the powertrain. The s10 swap isn't overly difficult, but there are many, many man hours before you have something you can actually drive. That being said, go with your gut. If you want a ls engine, do it now. Being able to complete the build with the original powertrain will be satisfying in itself, but with the fuel injected v8, you wont be able to remove the smile off your face with a baseball bat! Happy building and keep up the good work and posts!
Dave836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #30
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave836 View Post
Looks good so far! I have to second ( or third) the motion of what you have to start with will make things much easier. I am building an a.d. /s10 swap using the ls. I have mixed feelings about what people are saying as far as to just stick with what you have for the powertrain. The s10 swap isn't overly difficult, but there are many, many man hours before you have something you can actually drive. That being said, go with your gut. If you want a ls engine, do it now. Being able to complete the build with the original powertrain will be satisfying in itself, but with the fuel injected v8, you wont be able to remove the smile off your face with a baseball bat! Happy building and keep up the good work and posts!
As far as priorities in my mind, I'd actually rather get the stance right than have the V8 so if I were to go off the reservation on the build, it would probably be with a 3 link rear and bag setup. Of course that adds its own challenges to the build like equipment placement, routing, suspension changes, electronics, etc.... The V6 will work just fine for now I hope

Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
gigamanx

Wow, mid February for my last update. I went to Australia and had the flu between now and then. Got to see my cousin's bagged C10 and got some new inspiration for my build. (Mobsteel 20x11 rear and 20x8 front. Looks awesome! accuair bags and electronic system. Even has an app for your phone) I'm getting ready to roll the S10 donor truck into the garage and wanted to get some high level tips.

When taking apart the truck, how did you guys keep track of the engine accessories bolted to the fenders, where did they get relocated to and how to keep track of things that go through the firewall?

The bed and front grill seem pretty straight forward. I just need to label my headlight and blinker wires. The radiator goes and then I see the front horns are cut off in other build threads.

Finally. Is there any sheet metal I should keep for any reason? Most of mine is intact but rust in corners of most fenders. I don't think its sellable. One example that comes to mind is finding a pre-shaped piece to fill my gas tank hole on the 1949 cab. Maybe keep a fender around for donor metal?

Thanks in advance for the tips...pictures of progress coming soon

Last edited by gigamanx; 04-10-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #32
joedoh

looking good. I saw your other thread where you cut out that floor and brace, probably shouldnt have done it that way because you havent mounted the cab yet and now you dont have a reference point for one of the mounts. but hey, learn as you go!

when I tear down a donor I like to take all the harness and all the stuff that mounts on the firewall and fenders and leave it hooked up, and pile it on top of the motor using a couple bungee cords to keep it compact. for the lights, I leave the sockets and lights on the wires. pretty hard to miss a turn signal if the socket and bulb is staring at you.

for saving sheetmetal I like using the bed floor from the S10, I gave some floor cutting dimensions in a thread somewhere I will look it up again. whats that you want to run a wood bed? well, you still can, and I have. keeping the s10 floor simplifies the bed mounting (literally took me 4 hours) over starting with some rectangle tubing and making the wood a stressed member like the stock floor is done. it also gives you wheel tubs right away so you can tuck those mobsteels.

other parts I keep: I cut out the firewall where the wiring/brake booster/gas pedal mount so I can keep the relationship (dimensions) of the parts to each other. if you plan to sell the cab keep in mind you cant offer a title or VIN tag with it, you need to show the s10 became your truck and there cant be a "ship of theseus" paradox with two trucks having the same truck basis. I keep the back wall for some nice flat sheetmetal, and I scalp the trans tunnel in case I need it.

mobsteels are bad ass wheels, and adam is a dynamite human being. he hooked us up with the right mounts for our hubcaps so we could run them. they are HEAVY though. crazy heavy, like 44 lbs each without tires. Your friends C10 is cool, I had one on an S10 frame with 22" billets and a 4 banger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave836 View Post
I have mixed feelings about what people are saying as far as to just stick with what you have for the powertrain. The s10 swap isn't overly difficult, but there are many, many man hours before you have something you can actually drive. That being said, go with your gut. If you want a ls engine, do it now. Being able to complete the build with the original powertrain will be satisfying in itself, but with the fuel injected v8, you wont be able to remove the smile off your face with a baseball bat! Happy building and keep up the good work and posts!
lets be clear, I am not saying stick with the 4.3. I am saying get it running and driving with a known running engine. swapping an LS/LQ/LM into a truck that already runs is a weekend project and YOU choose when that weekend is. taking a bare frame, a craigslist engine and trans, a scratch fuel system, and a brand new wiring harness, and putting them together, there could be a hundred reasons why it doesnt start, and it will be in the garage a lot longer than a weekend. you want to keep the boss happy and your motivation high, the old saying is "its easier to edit than create".

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #33
gigamanx

Two really good points I didn't think of. Cutting out a part of the firewall for pedal positioning and those fender humps in the bed! I was actually thinking of grabbing the trans tunnel too.

As far as VIN goes, should I be keeping all items that have a VIN on it for validation? I plan on continuing to use my 1949 title that is registered with the cab plate. So you're saying as long as someone else doesn't claim to own half my truck because they have a cab with my chassis vin on it then I'm good.

I hope to offset the issue with the floor mounting position by purchasing the replica floor support beam. Test fit, its pretty close but I do notice about a 1/2" gap. Don't know if that's from the floor settling or if I just need to bend the flanges of the replicate floor support out a bit to meet the horizontal supports. I only cut a small piece of the floor out, so I'm hoping I didn't get any warping issues. Maybe I should rehang the passenger side door just in case before welding things up.

Not sure at this point if I can use the S10 bed floor. It has that plastic liner stuff in it so who knows what is underneath.

I have sobered up from the LS1 idea simply because I am learning a ton and the fewer big steps I need to learn, the better I think this will turn out in the long run. Why make that mountain of a learning curve any steeper than it needs to be

Old 04-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #34
joedoh

using the whole bed floor is the ticket. you can cut the whole bed floor out of the 49, cut the s10 floor correctly, and put them together on the truck. adjust it and tack it, bam, bed mounting taken care of and you can lay a wood bed right over top.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #35
gigamanx

I will definitely go that route with the floor, but I may not keep the inside fenders. I saw a post recently with someone using the top of some rusted out 49-54 fenders as the inner fender. I liked that the inner curve followed the curve of the outer fender. My 1988, has a much more squared off inner fender. I know its just style differences, but hey that's why its my truck

Old 04-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #36
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
.....I saw a post recently with someone using the top of some rusted out 49-54 fenders as the inner fender. I liked that the inner curve followed the curve of the outer fender....
Slip sliding away, slip sliding awaaaay....

Ha ha, I'm teasing but this IS why these projects slide down the slippery slope. You see things you like and want to do. You think of things no one else has done yet and want to see if you can pull them off? But that's why these projects are so fun and so rewarding if you can have the resolve and determination to get them done. Then everyone drives them awhile, someone comes along and offers them stupid money for them and a new one begins before you know it.

Best of luck, we're pulling for you(I LIKE the inner fenders done that way too if you have tubs. I don't, but would have done it that way too if I'd needed them!)

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #37
SalvagedSouls

I'm in for the journey. If I can't find the time to work on mine at least I can read about others progress on break/lunch. Keep up the good work. Progress no matter how small is progress and progress is motivation.
1955.1 - 3100 Bare Metal Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691261
1965 - Buick Special & 1965 Buick Skylark
SalvagedSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #38
gigamanx

I'm being very very careful with how many "extra" projects I add as I go along or the "while I'm here" projects. My wife reminds me I did this for the journey, so I focus on the next job and don't worry too much about the dreams of driving it. For now, the only thing that matters is whatever the next two or three steps are and if I have the tools to do those few steps.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #39
gigamanx

Pretty pleased with myself. Built the floor pan piece out of sheet 16GA. A bit of grinding to do to clean it up and some primer. The project isn't without mishap; I caught the firewall insulation alight and didn't notice until I went to take pictures 10 minutes later. Thankfully caught the embers before the whole thing went up

This was the last project I needed before the big tear down of the S10 to get it ready to be a donor.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #40
gigamanx

Thoroughly in the middle of the "What the hell was I thinking" mindset as the S10 is dismantled. Taking the dash apart didn't seem too bad. Labelled the wiring as components came off and threw out any plastic covering knowing I wouldn't need any of that again. Then I got to the engine bay, no problem take the hood off and got ready for the next step.... wait, what's the next step??

All the pictures I see online are of an S10 and then magically a dismantled S10. I've been cataloging as I go with pictures but I can't believe how much is attached to the firewall. I don't know if I even need to keep some of this stuff. For example: The air conditioning unit looks huge and is routed through the radiator. Am I keeping the radiator? Am I keeping that big ole fan? What is the giant flying saucer thing the brake reservoir is attached to? Do I keep the air conditioner?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm a little overwhelmed by the details. I can name the major components in the engine bay, but the devil is in the details. So what order of things should I be going in? Dash, front grill, radiator, fenders?

Dash seemed easy. False confidence

Saucer thing behind brake booster

Air handler? Am I keeping that giant thing?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #41
99 to Life

are you referring to brake booster? I personally don't like the s10 booster or MC but if you are on a budget, use them. If you are using the engine then yes keep the rad and fan etc. If you aren't using the AC then take it out the best you can and try and sell that stuff off. The more you keep nice the more stuff you have to sell off, usually people make more back off parting out the old s10 than they paid for it.

If this is your first build, not to discourage you but I'v been in your shoes. I didn't know anything mechanically bf I decided to build a truck (not sure about your background) but... I found it much easier to go SBC route, did the s10 frame all new components if I could. all new brake system, cooling and wiring harness. Guys like joedoh are good at utilizing all the s10 stuff. Its alot to take in. For me stating fresh is better, but it will add up financially. By all means if you have a plan stick with it. It is all a learning curve no matter which route you take.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #42
gigamanx

Honestly, I didn't realize a brake booster was that big haha. I did find another build that used the same booster and took off the air conditioner. A bit of googling with a clear head can do wonders.

Budget-wise I'll have to keep with the same engine for now to get things drivable again.

I have very little background in cars, but I am mechanically inclined and have succeeded with other "what have I gotten into" projects. I have a 180 gallon salt water aquarium I built from googling...I built a bobber from a 2000 Kawasaki but that wasn't much fabrication work.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #43
dug224

Looking good. Nice repair!
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #44
99 to Life

yah the net can work wonders. I'd never be where I am without it. Well I wish you luck with using all the s10 stuff. When in doubt a new wiring harness and and Hei never fails to keep things simple and reliable.

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
Old 05-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #45
gigamanx

Checking in with my armchair pit crew (not to be mistaken with an armpit chair crew)

Made some big progress today on the dashboard wiring and the front fenders. I was about to tackle the front end and radiator when I realized the A/C unit is pretty much a part of the front end also. Started taking screws off and realized, wait, there's gas in this thing. Not sure how to empty the Freon safely. Maybe call a HVAC company? Lesson for the future, get your AC discharged before making the donor truck undriveable

I've decided not to keep the AC simply because it takes up a huge amount of space and I would have to figure out where to mount the cooling unit with the radiator. Instead, I'll just get a new serpentine belt for a non-ac version and hope that is good enough. Sell off the bits.

The second question I have now is, what direction do I go to get the wiring out? Do I pull all the dash wiring through the firewall to the engine bay or pull all the engine plugs through to the cab?

Final question, the brake booster looks like its just held on by the four bolts going from inside the cab to the big saucer thing on the back. It doesn't look like I need to detach the brake pedal. Do I just take that whole unit out at once?

One last interesting observation. I noticed the back of the gauges only have a mechanical advance for the speedo/odo... does that mean I need to get new oil pressure, engine temp, fuel level, etc for my 1949 gauges? They definitely don't look the same.

Last edited by gigamanx; 05-13-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #46
joedoh

AC: you can unbolt the whole plastic piece from the firewall for now, and if you are TRULY getting rid of the AC, you will realize, as I did, that the entire ac system is able to be removed in one big chunk, and stay charged. its crazy, but true, you can unbolt the compressor, take out the radiator and then the condensor, and leave all the lines hooked up and whoop. it all comes out together.

wiring: the big firewall connector at the drivers side upper side has two plugs in it, one is to the rear lights and fuel tank. the plugs are together in a larger connector though that can be taken loose by using a small flatblade screwdriver to release the catches from the firewall side. you may have to remove some sealant to get the large connector detached. once you have it loose, you can separate the rear harness wiring if you like or leave it attached. then there are two 7mm bolts exposed that hold the inside fusebox and wiring to the firewall.

here is a picture after both steps, you can see the connector hanging and the hole where the fusebox would attach from the inside.

brakes: you can take the 4 nuts off, the saucer thing is the brake booster. you will need to disconnect the shaft of the booster from the pedal, there is a pin clip you pull and the shaft slides off the pedal. then you can pull the booster into the engine compartment so its free of the cab holes.

I recommend you take a cut off wheel and carefully cut out the fusebox mount and the booster mount section of the firewall to use on your AD cab either as patterns or instead of cutting holes. thusly

there is more wiring on the passenger side for the TBI ECM, and a bunch of grounds, take your time and DONT CUT. mark as much as you can with strips of tape, just mark each side of the connector with an "A-A", "B-B" etc, with one letter on each side so you can see what plugs to what. dont worry about the gauges just yet, lots to do. I left the dash harness in the dash (it unplugs) until I needed it.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 AM   #47
gigamanx

Pictures are a huge help! Thanks

Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #48
joedoh

I reread my instructions and forgot to mention the 7mm bolt at the center of the firewall side plug, you can see it in my picture, you have to have it loosened all the way to release the catches on the plug.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #49
gigamanx

A big day today. The cab had liftoff from the S10 frame with everything finally labelled and disconnected. I changed to using white electrical tape to label the wiring instead of painters tape. It seemed to be a little more hardy.

Brake pedal assembly came off as a single unit once I detached the brake booster and the four bolts on the firewall. I'll do my best to reattach the same assembly on the Chevy 3100 cab. Initially it looks like it won't need much modification to reuse

A few parts making it to the new cab. Wiring harness stayed attached to the steering column.

The S10 cab still has a few things to strip down. Keeping the seat for now until I decide if I should sell it or put it in the 3100 cab. The 3100 has a decent seat if I can keep the original. The only reason to change is if the S10 seat is that much more confortable. Also need to get the accelerator pedal from the cab.

I decided not to grab the parking brake pedal assembly. I'd like to try and modify the original 3100 cab park brake just to keep a bit more of the 49 style in the cab. If I can make a good mount point for the cable I think it would work.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #50
99 to Life

congrats on the progress. measure the s10 seat bf you make any decisions. its most likely going to be a little short side to side. bench seats out of 88 and into 90's fullsize trucks work nice. OG seats are cool but not being able to fold them forward is annoying. I feel you on the parking brake, I'm going that route on a truck I'm doing now. Tried it on my 51' but just never finalized it. It can be done.

www.coffeeandcustoms.com