The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #1201
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Whew, I was dangerously close to going over my 5-minute limit today. Funny how that "5 minute" thing has become my max

I've been waiting on a set of hood bolts. When they arrived I was dismayed to find that the spring bolts were fine thread, while the receptacles in my hood are coarse thread. WTH - are the bolts wrong or has someone changed the threads in my spring bolt holes?

The hood spring threads were solid so I converted standard coarse thread bolts into shoulder bolts by adding a shim made from a piece of 3/8" fuel line. They should work exactly like real shoulder bolts.

Tomorrow, mount the hood!
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2018, 01:45 AM   #1202
MARTINSR

So tonight it was odd, I drove home a Tesla and took my family out so everyone could drive it. I just let them drive as they wanted, omg we drove all over the city, about 25 miles! My wife, omg it was so cute, she is very conservative not a hot rodder. But she nailed it and throughout her whole time driving she kept hitting the throttle. LOL But it was so much fun, we came home, I got out to the garage and did my five minutes. A few welds, a few grinds, did a little test with my wire wheel and grinder on the floor to see if it would get it good enough for primer. HELL YEAH it did, better than I thought it would. I will get the inside all primed this weekend, right on!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #1203
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Whew, I was dangerously close to going over my 5-minute limit today. Funny how that "5 minute" thing has become my max

I've been waiting on a set of hood bolts. When they arrived I was dismayed to find that the spring bolts were fine thread, while the receptacles in my hood are coarse thread. WTH - are the bolts wrong or has someone changed the threads in my spring bolt holes?

The hood spring threads were solid so I converted standard coarse thread bolts into shoulder bolts by adding a shim made from a piece of 3/8" fuel line. They should work exactly like real shoulder bolts.

Tomorrow, mount the hood!
Right on! When I get to my hood, I will be sectioning it!

Brian

Old 06-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #1204
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Right on! When I get to my hood, I will be sectioning it!
Brian
I can't imagine the difficulty level of that.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #1205
MiraclePieCo

With my home-made hood carriage and the help of my wife, I was able to get the hood installed with no collateral damage. In my excitement however, I forgot to clean and paint the inside of the hood before installation, so that will have to be done the hard way later.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #1206
MARTINSR

I got out there and cleaned up behind the garage so I can put the cab out there to sand blast on it. Tired of covering my lawn with sand. I also got my extra roof in the trailer to haul it to the shop scrap metal bin. I cut a few pieces from the roof and from the inside of the extra inner panel to see if I could use it on the lower corners on the inside of the cab, but nope, forget it, they are off to the scrap metal bin.

Brian

Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #1207
Black_Sheep

Finished breaking down the truck for paint, it's off to the paint shop tomorrow after work...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:56 AM   #1208
MARTINSR

I am beat today, just so hard, but got out there for my five minutes, did a little rust cleaning under the dash getting it ready for primer.

Brian

Old 06-28-2018, 04:06 AM   #1209
MiraclePieCo

I got an early birthday present!
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #1210
MARTINSR

Just remember the basics, I have this up on my wall so I don't forget.

No, honestly, that manual can be VERY valuable. You have to hear a story, sorry.

I never even looked at one for years and years, decades. I always thought those were for dummies who didn't have all the car knowledge I did, those were for people who didn't know what they were doing and had to be told like a child. I honestly thought this, I never conscientiously thought it, but in me that is what I was thinking, and I simply never touched one. Those books were for mechanical stuff to look up engine timing and head bolt torque, that was about it, NOT for anything to do with body, geeez.

Then I got my Rambler, and my brother moved out of the area (my mechanic.) I knew NOTHING about this car, first one in my life that I didn't know how many years they used that motor, or what other models used those brakes, that sort of stuff, I didn't even know how many years the body parts exchanged with, I knew nothing. This was VERY unlike anything I had ever owned.

So I got manuals for it, OMG this solved a lot of problems working with the doors, stuff was just goofy different and OMG now I found I was pulling out the manuals on my Gran Sport too, my brother bought me these, I sure wouldn't have. One day I was having a hell of a time putting the door glass in, I pulled the manual and wham done deal!

No, I was a moron, they CAN be very valuable, and actually kinda fun as they put you there in the factory or in the repair shop in 1950. I enjoy being in that repair shop in 1950.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #1211
mikebte

Wired up the ignition and installed. That about wraps up this evening.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #1212
evilokc

Quote:
I got an early birthday present!
I bought the cd drive. it helped a lot. with it was better organized but its awesome
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #1213
MARTINSR

I thought I was done with all the welding and metal work on the cab.

I was starting the cleaning up under the dash and all to get the primer shot and I saw this, crap, I will get it fixed tomorrow.

Tell me guys, on this AD you can see that there are three holes in the gas pedal bracket, what the hell are those holes there for? The bracket is welded to the floor, why would those holes be there?

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #1214
MARTINSR

Being I am not working today to go to my co-workers funeral I got out into the garage for a little work. I am not kidding you, he was a car guy, he loved my truck and would have been building something like this if he could have, being his money and house situation it was a no go. I figured it wasn't disrespectful but quite the opposite go get out there and work on it for him today.

I got the firewall spot blasted using my little "Speedblaster." Clamped a piece of metal on the hole so I wouldn't be blowing sand all over the garage, worked like a charm.

I then blasted the piece that gets welded on, yes it was wasted.

Then made a piece to replace the rusted area.

And gas welded it together.

And the last photo is of Martin, good bye buddy.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #1215
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
And the last photo is of Martin, good bye buddy.
Brian
What happened that he died so young? And BTW, has your face healed from your drill mishap?

I debated about filling the factory holes in the inner fenders because I want an "old truck" look, not a smoothie street rod look. But I finally decided that, since I will be driving it in all weather, I don't want water entering the engine compartment through all those holes. So today was spent filling holes, clearancing the lower aprons around my Mustang control arms, and hammering all the edges straight. Unfortunately, the previous owner had nicely painted the skirts, so it ruined the paint job. I will rattle-can them when I'm done.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #1216
MARTINSR

Quote:
What happened that he died so young? And BTW, has your face healed from your drill mishap?

I debated about filling the factory holes in the inner fenders because I want an "old truck" look, not a smoothie street rod look. But I finally decided that, since I will be driving it in all weather, I don't want water entering the engine compartment through all those holes. So today was spent filling holes, clearancing the lower aprons around my Mustang control arms, and hammering all the edges straight. Unfortunately, the previous owner had nicely painted the skirts, so it ruined the paint job. I will rattle-can them when I'm done.
He had a heart attack! Three clogged arteries. Today at the funeral I noticed that his mom had scar down the middle of her chest from apparently heart surgery!

My face never regained the feeling, I have a triangle shape from right eye to lip that is semi numb. Upon touching it, I get a tingly feeling. It sucks but I am thrilled that is all that happened! Believe me, I feel blessed I have this reminder of how blessed I am. I made a key chain out of the very drill bit that did it as a reminder.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #1217
mikebte

Sander, prepped and sealed the floor board. Tomorrow comes sound/heat material and carpet.

Man, old trucks sure now how to waist a weekend. For some reason we still keep at it.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #1218
MARTINSR

I spent 5 hours driving to get my seat does that count for working on my truck? My wife went with me as it was my wedding anniversary present.

Anyway, thank you so much iowaboynca for the opportunity to get this seat, it's just what I needed to move another step forward. And seeing your truck was cool, thanks again.

I got the seat in the cab for the first time and see that I need some serious mods, I knew I would but was hoping I wouldn't. But it's all good, I will section the back of the seat down out of the window view, make foam pads instead of the springs and it will be perfect.

I also got the hole welded into the firewall for the brake pedal and tomorrow will weld the top piece in finishing that.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #1219
MARTINSR

If you know me, you know I had to shoot a reenactment the minute I got home with my new seat. And thank you mom in heaven for the first shot in '74.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #1220
rgunlock

That's pretty cool Brian. It's been fun watching your excitement grow for your build as you get your cab closer and closer to primer!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #1221
evilokc

picked up my parts truck yesterday. it was a long 9 hours round trip the truck has a lot of usable parts. none of them perfect. I was surprised that the motor looks complete minus oil bath breather.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #1222
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvienneau View Post
Nice price. The cab looks great. Are the cowls and cab corners good?
corners are rusty floor is rusty
Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #1223
vintovka

Curios about the interesting unloading method.
vintovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #1224
robertsjm711

Super cool parts rig. I'd get it just for the bumper brackets, then place it in the front yard as a piece of art.

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #1225
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
That's pretty cool Brian. It's been fun watching your excitement grow for your build as you get your cab closer and closer to primer!
Yep, but I missed my due date! My plan was to get it fully in primer in June, so much for that plan. I don't feel too bad though, I am close and have gotten a lot done.

Brian