The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Volfandt

49 GMC w/a 250

Traded for a non running 49 GMC and am in the process of getting it back on the road again.
Engine numbers indicate I'm dealing with a 79 250 out of a C10 with a 2bbl integrated intake. It came with a Quadrajet and home made 4bbl intake adapter. Needless to say it didn't run worth a hoot.
It's bolted to a TH350 auto (unknown origin) and an open drivetrain to the rearend (unknown origin). 5 lug wheels all around w/power discs in the front and no doubt Bendix shoes in the back.
I located and installed a 2bbl Varajet and have got it running and idling now.
The engine runs pretty good so it's a keeper, atleast for now. I'm currently chasing down vacuum leaks figuring out basic stuff like throttle cable connections and sender locations.

The Varajet has a square throat which is making it difficult to locate an air cleaner to bolt to it. At this point I'd be happy with an OEM.
Anyone that has one collecting dust somewhere heres your chance to get rid of it LOL.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rWHmKIxii5DW3rh93

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vha4Cx57RFNLJEfi1
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 49 GMC w/a 250

I have never seen such a complicated EGR/air injection setup. is that a califormia emissions model?

looks like a great start!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
mr48chev

I'm thinking that you will have to use an oem or oem base as I don't believe the aftermarket makes anything for that unit.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Volfandt

joedoh, I don't know if it's a Cali or not but it does have the oddest/ugliest valve cover I'ever seen lol.

mr48chev, I've been all over the WWW and I found only one aftermarket offer and it was in Australia and the outfit is no longer in business. That 2SE carb came on Chevy pickups w/250's as well as some V6 Buick & Pontiac's of the same era, you'd think there'd be some aftermarket offerings out there.... Been scanning local junk yards too.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
geezer#99

Maybe you need to shop at the ‘hotrodders’ Warehouse!
AKA Home Depot, Walmart, lowe’s or other hardware store. Look for square type plastic or metal boxes in the plumbing or electrical sections that’s the same size as your cleaner gasket.
If you find something close use it as a riser and make your own air cleaner. I’ve made different ones that were round or oval. I used 1/16 inch aluminum plate and cut it with a jigsaw. I once made a pair of oval ones to use on my dual quad.
Get creative!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

Air cleaner like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMAIR-Carb...-/271533850955
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 AM   #7
mr48chev

That looks like a 50.00 headache eliminator.

Looking at that base plate, a guy could do as geezer#99 suggested and cut out a base for a regular round air filter you might have to cut out several layers and stack them if there is a part of the carb sticking up or try your had at cutting a thick piece piece of aluminum or industrial plastic.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Volfandt

Good try on the Ramair. Unfortunately it's flat base plate won't work around the linkage and vent. They make a blank plate version which may be interesting.
Home made just may be the way I've got to go.

Spent a good portion of a day troubleshooting vacuum leaks. Used carb cleaner to help narrow it down. Was able to narrow it down to 2 spots, the PCV vacuum stub in the intake manifold at ports 3/4 and a hardline fitting installed in the intake manifold just below the carb. The hardline was cut and connected to a soft line to the power brake booster.

Pulled the carb to get at the 3/4 stubb. It is pressed in but I could barely wiggle it so I pulled it, cleaned it and the boss up, applied a coating of Permatex Aviation sealer and pressed it back it. I then mixed up a batch of JB Weld and sealed it up to the manifold. Letting it set up a couple days before testing.

On the other I couldn't find another fitting and the original was pitted and had alot of deposits on and in it. Since the carb has a large vacuum port available I decided to plug the manifold and use the carb source.

Otherwise the engine seems to run pretty good.
I believe the TH350 tranny wasn't original to this engine. When I went to hook up the kickdown linkage it wouldn't reach the carb linkage and mount in the proper place on the valve cover. But it did seem long enough if it were going to connect to a center mount carb like what is found on a V8 or V6. Will have to research whats involved to swap the cable.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Clatterville trolley

Didn't Ford Pintos use a weber clone 2 stage 2 barrel carb that had the square top like the one you have pictured??

Might try salvage yard for something like that?

Last edited by Clatterville trolley; 02-07-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added more
Clatterville trolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
dsraven

-a flat piece of 1/8 sheet cut to fit the carb pattern.
-a piece of 16ga sheet metal bent to fit the rounded corners of the carb profile, then welded at the seam where they lap to form a rectangular tube that fits the carb pattern, this will fit onto the 1/8 sheet above
-another piece of 16ga sheet cut to fit the diameter of your donor air filter, whether that be a round donut shape or whatever
-weld all this stuff together to form the spacer under the new/donor air filter housing. use some epoxy or jb weld to ensure the welds are sealed

for a cold air intake skip the round adapter on the top and simply ensure the chimney protruding upwards is the right diameter to accept some of those silicone rubber cold air intake parts you can buy online. use abs drain pipe to connect the dots between the carb adapter and the conical air filter mounted where you choose
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote