The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Rotaxx

Newly Acquired '68 4x4, What's your assessment?

This is a '68 SWB with a V8, 4 speed, divorced transfer case. 303605I'm done documenting the vehicle with photos and I need to get some expert opinions on a couple of issues. Photos are posted for info purposes, and also for entertainment.
First off - the cab VIN says it was originally a 2wd 6 cylinder, so it is probably very safe to say the cab was transplanted to this chassis at some point in it's life. Apparently the bed didn't survive the procedure. Since someone went through this much trouble I dare say anything else done to this truck shouldn't come as a surprise.
The motor is a small block Chevy, and low on the list of my concerns. I'm comfortable with SBC rebuilds, and in all actuality this one runs surprisingly well - even with the custom exhaust (but only on one side, the other header terminates with a cherry bomb pounded directly into the collector. Awesome.). See photo: Many issues here. I really like the green wire running right over the mouth of the carb (Apparently this particular model didn't come with an air cleaner). Linkage is several wraps of bailing wire. Solid. The phone wire in the background runs the heater fan. And yes - it actually is a phone wire. The carb has a Mercruiser tag, so it's entirely possible that there is a boat out there somewhere languishing without it's carb (or maybe even the whole damn motor - I haven't checked out the numbers yet to actually see what it is). There are tons of things wrong here, cut vacuum lines (including the timing line), wood holding up the battery, bare wires, melted wires, etc, the list goes on. Again, all of this needs to be addressed but I'm not too concerned about it at this moment. As a safety precaution i disconnect the battery.
My first major concern is the hubs. The lock in/out knobs spin all the way around. Sort of. I think the front axle is a Dana 44, and it has 9 leaf springs (and yes - that is a spark plug wire dangling beside the axle. Either a spare, or the truck was equipped with an ultra-rare V-9 at some point in it's life). The rear is a 12 bolt with 10 leaf springs (this truck will knock the fillings out of your mouth just going down the driveway). Note the driverside rear shock is extended a little more than the other. The truck does have a slight lean to it - but I'm not going to worry about the suspension until a little later. With 33's on it, there is nearly a foot of clearance to the fender. How much lift is that?
I'm not able to make the four wheel drive system work. The transfer case does shift to low range appropriately, but the fronts aren't engaging I don't think. I think the TC is a Rockwell T221. I need to do the brakes soon - drums all around. I'm replacing wheel cylinders, shoes, all the lines and drums if I need to. This would be a good time to fix the hubs. Any ideas on what's involved and how difficult it will be? That's probably enough for now - I could write volumes. My priorities right now are brakes, and getting the 4x4 system serviceable. Thanks for checking out my truck.
Attached Images

Rotaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Ackattack

Re: Newly Acquired '68 4x4, What's your assessment?

wow you found a beauty there....

sounds like some new leaf springs and a wiring harness would really get you going into the right direction.

The body doesn't look to be in too bad of shape.

Can't help you with the 4x4 stuff.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Oh man, those rear leaf springs are wild - never seen that many leafs stacked before. Kind of looks like there is about 6" of lift going on that truck.

Are there some kind of blocks also worked into that rear spring pack?

That carb linkage is something else - ingenuity eh!

When you shift the transfer case into low, can you turn the front driveshaft by hand?

I've never seen one of our trucks with a divorced t-case. Not saying that was not done, but interesting.

Cab looks to be in great shape and once you get the odd engineering done correctly you're going to end up with a nice truck!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
ChaseDale3and8

I was also looking at those rear springs. They look like they came from the back end of a dump truck! I'll bet that thing rides like a dump truck too! it always amazes me just how some people "jury rig" their trucks instead of buying parts to fix them right when something breaks. Makes me wonder just how many of these vehicles I pass along my way everyday when going to and from work, and if what they rigged up will break when I'm right next to it! Anyway, you have a really good starting point and it will be a nice truck after you get everything put back together that way that it's supposed to be. And don't forget to post pics of your progress as I'll be watching this one! ...Joe
Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Spanky_Pete
Too many trucks? Nah...

Sounds like you have the evil twin of my '68 K-10. Mine is also marred with many mechanical ingenuities like bailing wire and a frighteningly dangerous lift job. Only yours has the advantage of actually having a motor in it.

It's amazing what some people will do to a truck without thinking of the dangerous consequences.
Spanky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Rotaxx

Yukon Jack: There is a block under the springs - it's about 6 inches high. I haven't tried turning the driveshaft by hand with the transfer case in low. Will that confirm that the hubs aren't working?

Never seen a 67-72 with a divorced transfer case? What's your best guess then - think it's a newer chassis, or older? (It's got drums all around - but it looks like the front axle might be a transplant).

Joe - your dump truck analogy is a pretty accurate description of how it rides. It will definitely find any weak dental work you may have.

All- thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming. I'll keep you posted on any new discoveries as well as progress.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

that is one big truck.... looks like you got a solid foundation
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
caminokid
Chevy nut

I wouldnt want to get it airborn. The langing would be rough as H3ll! You got alot of work...but in the end you will have something that is yours. I have seen worse rigging. But it could be worse for you.You got a decent cab...you got the frame... you got all the running gears...so you at least have a start.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Could the body be ANY cleaner? SHEESH! Great find.

Lots of issues, but that's what makes these old trucks fun

Since you seem to be having issues with the front axle, maybe you could swap to a 71/72 front axle with disk brakes? Might be hard to find though...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
1969k10stepside

The axles look like the stock ones.A closed knuckle 44 front and 12 bolt rear.I know the older trucks used a divorced t-case but I've never seen a 67-72 with a divorced t-case.It looks like a Rockwell T221.
You can probably get away with just swapping lockouts and be alright with that issue but you might as well get a open knucke disc brake axle.Any axle from 71-87 will work.If you get a Corp.10 bolt front you need the spring plates from it and different u bolts.Those look like one ton springs with FORD factory lift blocks

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 10-06-2007 at 10:18 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Rotaxx

I tried the front drive shaft test with the transfer case in low - the driveshaft would not turn by hand. Does this mean the the 4x4 system should work?

I have a feeling that the rolling chassis is pre-67. I saw a depiction in my Chiltons of a 63 or 64 Chevy, drums, divorced case - looks alot like mine. Anyone know a way to verify this, or how to figure out what year it is?

Any thoughts on how this setup would fair if I took out every other leaf spring from both the front and rear? Would it be safer?

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
1969k10stepside

If you could get a pic of the frame horns (the front part of the frame) I could tell you what era the chassis is.My guess is 60-66 too.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 10-12-2007 at 06:55 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote