The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
jbgroby

Stand alone fuse for heater assembly

Due to having to use a spare spot on my fuse panel (non-fused) I want to add an inline fuse to protect the heater switch assembly and blow motor. I cannot find any information on what I should use. What would be ya'lls suggestion, 10, 15 or 20 amps? and is glass better than blade?

Thanks
Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Stand alone fuse for heater assembly

The '66 owner's manual lists a 10 amp fuse for the Thrift-Air heater and a 15 amp fuse for the Deluxe heater. Earlier years should be pretty much the same.

Using a glass vs. blade fuse is probably more of a personal preference than anything. The newer blade style fuses & holders might be a bit easier to find though.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
rvrfoot

If i dont know on the fuse. I use a smaller one. Its was way to ease to blow a fuse than over load something.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
jbgroby

Ok as promised, here is a short tutorial on the harness hook-up. It’s pretty straight forward Plug and play. I have the deluxe heater/defrost setup and this is written for combo.

Prior to starting, I would clean the spades of the switch, resistor and fan motor with an fine emery file or cloth and test them in case you need to change them out, no sense in doing this install and then needing to do again.

The new wiring harness provided by Classic Parts, Part Number 52-718 follows the factory color codes and each connector is marked with a number so it’s easy to tell where each plug is connected. Also they are wrapped to keep it clean.

The only thing I did different was snip off and change the provided Plug Connector #1 (factory original design) to a spade so it would plug into my fuse block in a spare location. I added an inline fuse as well.

Connector #1, (Brown Wire) goes to power source on fuse block, you could wire direct to battery if needed, but I prefer a factory cleaner look.

Connector #2, plugs into the heater switch (fan speed) on dash assembly, this has 4 wires - Brown, Orange, Blue and Yellow connected into the plug that connects to the switch.

Connector #3 (Blue and Yellow) connect to the resistor in the back side of the plenum box, I used a small inspection mirror so I could see how to plug it in. bit of a pain to reach.

Connector #4 (orange wire with factory connector) passes through firewall and connects directly to motor lug (slide on). I will add a grommet to dress off the firewall hole (If I can find the little buggers in my parts boxes)

You should have a working heater/defrost assembly now go forth and defrost warmly
Attached Images

jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote