The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Questions/opinions on bottom sump tank

After spilling gas and dealing with my in cab tank I am debating moving it to the back. I hav3 a mustang tank laying around that came with another project but it's the old style with the fuel outlet in the lower front side of tank. I've read on other posts that this style tank is illegal in some states or is somehow unsafe? It is a 4 inch or so hole where the stock sending unit slides in and is retained with a ring? So why is it in safe or so t pass a inspection? Thanks if you have a opinion or advice.
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Questions/opinions on bottom sump tank

I am not familiar with Mustang tanks but what is illegal in a lot of places is fuel output line being on the bottom of the tank. The issue is, the line can be sheared off and dump fuel, causing a fire. If it's on the sides or top of the tank, you are fine. Any factory tank is going to be okay, because they all had to meet that requirement. Most aftermarket racing fuel cells/tanks commonly use a lower sump with a bottom output, so it does not starve for fuel when launching at the strip.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
Pinchecharlie

Thanks Mike just curious really .pretty obvious I guess. Wonder if you know if the 65 c10 had hard fuel line from cab to pump? I pulled all my lines and tank and Can t tell if someone cut the hard lines along the way or if they had sections of rubber also? Tank looks good so I'll take it to "dirty don" at the radiator shop and clean it up, new gasket on sender and line's
and should be good. I don't know why I worry about gas in cab. It was
On there for all those years should be ok now. The mustang tank is popular I think with ls swap guys. It's a little big though. Tanks Inc has one that's a better fit for 200 bucks so Its really not worth cutting up the rails over. I dunno but my wife keeps complaining about the smell but she's a whiner . Well see thanks again
Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would put a gas tank under the bed behind the differential before I would spend any money on the stock in cab gas tank.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would put a gas tank under the bed behind the differential before I would spend any money on the stock in cab gas tank.
Is there one you prefer? I know you are a master fabricator but I am limited in that respect lol.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
PGSigns

My last two tanks are from Boyd welding. Work very good. I like having the tank behind the rear axle between the rails. Cab smells better and the weight is in a better spot in the truck. There was a section of rubber line under the cab between the line from the tank and the line to the front. Then a short section from the line on the frame to the fuel pump.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
My last two tanks are from Boyd welding. Work very good. I like having the tank behind the rear axle between the rails. Cab smells better and the weight is in a better spot in the truck. There was a section of rubber line under the cab between the line from the tank and the line to the front. Then a short section from the line on the frame to the fuel pump.
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy you've been helping a lot I appreciate it
Old 03-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '69-'72 Blazer tank is a popular tank to use. You can purchase a complete rear tank conversion kit from most of the big name truck parts suppliers. The '53-'54 (?) car tank is another option. Take a look here.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat133.htm

The Boyds tanks are excellent, but that depends on your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Is there one you prefer? I know you are a master fabricator but I am limited in that respect lol.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #9
Pinchecharlie

Thanks captain! Was looking at tanks Inc I've bought stuff from them before. Hey dumb Question- is the crossmember behind the rear end canted in relation to the crossme.ber at the tailgait? Mine looks crooked/catywhampus. I put a tape on it and it's an inch and a bit different? I checked the frame up and down. For evidence of a hit and cant find any and all the the factory rivets are Intact. I dunno? This normal on these? Thanks again for the help. Jimmy I checked out boyds and man what a nice set up. Thinking about it but the tank would be worth more than the truck lol.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
... Hey dumb Question- is the crossmember behind the rear end canted in relation to the crossme.ber at the tailgait? Mine looks crooked/catywhampus. I put a tape on it and it's an inch and a bit different? I checked the frame up and down. For evidence of a hit and cant find any and all the the factory rivets are Intact. I dunno? This normal on these? ..l.
Yes, Triangulation, laddering...It's for strength.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Pinchecharlie

Ah...good was a bit perplexed by that. Never good, till now, to have crooked stuff on a frame. Thanks
Old 03-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
Railroader

I just moved tank from cab of my 63. Used tank from speedway.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1963-...on,227443.html

I modified tank to fill from rear as I did not want to fill through bed and did not want to cut/modify and part of frame and truck body to fill from side. Modification allowed for filling from rear behind flip down tag. Works BUT you have to be patient on adding gas as the drop to tank is limited.

Name:  Speedway Fuel Tank.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  Fuel Tank in Truck.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.1 KB
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
Pinchecharlie

Oh that came out good , nice work. Thanks