The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
gmore58

Stroker Build in a 79 Big Ten

First time I've posted on here, just been cruising by. The rear main seal on my 350 was leaking and the oil pan gasket wasn't in great shape so I was having to keep an eye on the oil level. It was at the add mark one day, I was running late and was out of oil so I thought I would be good for the 12 mile drive to work. About 3 miles from home I heard bad noises from the motor, glanced down and noticed my oil pressure gauge was at 0! Got it off the road and shut it down, but the damage was done. A gentleman gave me a tow home. I pulled the oil pan and didn't see a pickup. The pressed in pickup was lying in the bottom of the oil pan sump, and with the level being low the pump wasn't picking up any oil.

I finally got the motor pulled and discovered that the crank was shot. So, I decided to do what I was planning to do in a couple years - bought a stroker kit and am building a 383 out of it.

What's going into it -
Eagle balanced stroker rotating assembly
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 268H cam
Aluminum heads with 64cc chambers, 2.02" Intake and 1.6" Exhaust valves
Edelbrock Performer EPS intake
Edelbrock Carb
MSD HEI distributor
Hooker headers
Dynomax dual exhaust with turbo mufflers and exhaust crossover
Polished aluminum water pump, pulleys, alternator and power steering brackets
Cleaned, painted, and detailed engine compartment
New polyurethane engine and transmission mounts

I'll post some picks when I get on my home computer. I think it is going to take more work to degrease, clean, and detail the engine compartment than to paint and build the engine!
gmore58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Stroker Build in a 79 Big Ten

If you are interested in it, now would be a good time to upgrade the cam to a roller type.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
wesmigletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
If you are interested in it, now would be a good time to upgrade the cam to a roller type.
I definitely recommend this. You won't have to worry about flat cam issues, and it will allow you to run a lighter-weight synthetic oil. You just need to run a cam button, and use good roller cam valve springs... I would upgrade the springs on your heads to those recommended by your cam manufacturer.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
gmore58

The springs in the heads are rated for .575" lift, and the 268 cam is spec'ed for .454" lift, so no problem there. A couple chevy guys from way back, one of whom has been bracket racing his 69 Camaro for over 20 years, recommended to me years ago that for a street engine that isn't going to be seeing high rpm I stick with hydraulic flat tappet lifters and good quality stamped rocker arms. If I wanted to, put in some stainless steel roller tip rockers, but stay away from aluminum rockers. The big key is to follow the cam break in instructions to the letter and you'll have years of trouble free running. I thought about going to a roller cam and lifters, but I already had this cam and lifters (left over when my previous truck was stolen before I finished it up) and have blown right through my initial budget.
gmore58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
53chevyforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmore58 View Post
The springs in the heads are rated for .575" lift, and the 268 cam is spec'ed for .454" lift, so no problem there. A couple chevy guys from way back, one of whom has been bracket racing his 69 Camaro for over 20 years, recommended to me years ago that for a street engine that isn't going to be seeing high rpm I stick with hydraulic flat tappet lifters and good quality stamped rocker arms. If I wanted to, put in some stainless steel roller tip rockers, but stay away from aluminum rockers. The big key is to follow the cam break in instructions to the letter and you'll have years of trouble free running. I thought about going to a roller cam and lifters, but I already had this cam and lifters (left over when my previous truck was stolen before I finished it up) and have blown right through my initial budget.
I would make sure that the springs you have on the 2.02 heads are not too strong...follow comp cams spring pressure exactly or your cam will go flat.
Especially if they are dual springs. If so remove the inner springs on start up and then reinstall after cam is broken in.
53chevyforever is offline   Reply With Quote