The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
thedudeabides86

Oil dipstick port problem

I have a silly problem. I had a poopy 305 in my '72 Chevy 3/4 ton and pulled it for a used, strong 350. The 305 had no recessed shoulder in the dipstick port and the 350 does. This shoulder that is recessed blocks me from getting the dipstick properly inserted into the block. I'm trying to get this truck running before the Gearhead Get Together in Maple Lake, MN on Saturday. www.gear-headgettogether.com

Anywho, I'd really rather not have a mundane issue like this slow me down. I really need help in figuring out what I need to do to remedy the situation. Thanks in advance! See picture below of said recessed shoulder.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
haysonj

Re: Oil dipstick port problem

Different years and different applications took different tubes. You need to know what year the block is and whether it came from a car, truck,or van. You could go get a universal one from the auto parts store. Some motors also had a lower tube in them to guide the dipstick past the crankshaft.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Different years and different applications took different tubes. You need to know what year the block is and whether it came from a car, truck,or van. You could go get a universal one from the auto parts store. Some motors also had a lower tube in them to guide the dipstick past the crankshaft.
Thanks! The 305 that was in there was a '79 motor out of a G series van. The engine ID number on this 350 throws me off as it starts with a "C4F4" and I can't decipher it. Anyway I could plug the dipstick port whilst driving it and make due?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
B. W.

If your 305 dipstick location is the same as your 350 (in other words, it doesn't enter through the side of the pan)you can measure the depth of the recessed shoulder & cut you 305 dipstick to fit. I like to use "avaition form-a-gasket" to help seal it & hold it in place. the 305 stick may not read correctly but you can scribe a mark on it for "full".
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
If your 305 dipstick location is the same as your 350 (in other words, it doesn't enter through the side of the pan)you can measure the depth of the recessed shoulder & cut you 305 dipstick to fit. I like to use "avaition form-a-gasket" to help seal it & hold it in place. the 305 stick may not read correctly but you can scribe a mark on it for "full".
Cutting the dipstick may not make a difference as it'll still hit the shoulder in the port of the hole. I think my best solution will be to taper the gooseneck for the dipstick to get past the shoulder.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
68is4me

That car show looks like fun. In that add I have seen a lot of those cars at the ST. Peter show. Do they have a swap meet too? never mind I seen they do.

As for your tube, that looks like it requires the 2 piece tube's. Should be a lower one the goes in the block and then a upper tube. I think these are the correct pictures of how they should look.
Attached Images

06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Bigdav160

Those pics look correct, the one on the left goes in the hole first and driven in. It keeps the dipstick away from the crankshaft. Then the upper tube gets driven in. Use an open end wrench on the shoulder to pound on.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68is4me View Post
That car show looks like fun. In that add I have seen a lot of those cars at the ST. Peter show. Do they have a swap meet too? never mind I seen they do.

As for your tube, that looks like it requires the 2 piece tube's. Should be a lower one the goes in the block and then a upper tube. I think these are the correct pictures of how they should look.
Gotcha, that might be the solution. What's the technical term for that piece on the left if I wanted to order something from Oreilly or Napa?
Old 08-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
thedudeabides86

Quote:

I found that part on Summit. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
Big Kev-O

Man I love this site. My dipstick hits a crank cap stud and will not go down no matter how I bend the end. Looks like I'm missing that lower tube that guides the stick. I hope this fixes my issue too. I have a feeing it will. Thanks guys.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #11
thedudeabides86

Quote:

So, I got this part in today. I imagine I just push this down into the port hole and that it'll seat right at the surface of the block allowing the dipstick to bypass the shoulder down below? Will this change my reading on the dipstick of the oil level? I only ask because once I open it, I can't return it, of course.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
68is4me

Yes, it should be a fairly snug fit. I sometimes take an open end wrench that fits above the collar of the tube, and tap the wrench with a hammer. I also smear a little RTV sealant on the tube. Not sure on the dipstick. Can you compare the old tube to the new? If they are the same length you might be ok.
06 gmc duramax
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Yes, it should be a fairly snug fit. I sometimes take an open end wrench that fits above the collar of the tube, and tap the wrench with a hammer. I also smear a little RTV sealant on the tube. Not sure on the dipstick. Can you compare the old tube to the new? If they are the same length you might be ok.

So, this feeder tube doesn't seat entirely into the block, correct? This would replace the existing dipstick tube and help bypass the shoulder? Forgive me with my "rookie ways" as I'm learning as I go with all this stuff. Thanks for having patience with me.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
70STOVEBOLT

The lower tube goes into the block and seats against that shoulder. It will be a tight fit. The upper tube goes in next and seats against the lower tube. It will fit tight, but probably not as tight as the lower tube.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
68is4me

Looking at you pic again, and you might already have the lower tube in the block already. Did you buy both tubes? If you did try lower 1st, and if it doesn't go don't force it. Then install upper tube.
06 gmc duramax
Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Looking at you pic again, and you might already have the lower tube in the block already. Did you buy both tubes? If you did try lower 1st, and if it doesn't go don't force it. Then install upper tube.
Good morning. I bought the lower tube on Summit but haven't opened it since I can't return it if I do. I have the old upper tube from the 305 and when I drop that into the hole (on the 350) it slides right in, but not deep enough for the dipstick to pass by the shoulder without getting caught. I'm going to try tonight to tap the old dipstick tube down enough to seat against the shoulder and hopefully that will solve my problem. My other major problem is that I have no power whatsoever when I go to turn over the motor. No headlights, horn, nothing. I'm going to create a separate post to address this no power issue and see if anyone can suggest anything. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #17
68is4me

Did you get your dipstick figured out?
06 gmc duramax