The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
HYPR

72 C20 drop spindles issue QUESTION

As everyone is aware of the foundry that made the 67-72 C20 Drop spindles closed and it looks like from everyone that we won't see inventory until sometime in June or later.
I read that the 73-87 can be used although it requires the use of 1973-87 3/4 ton components, like upper and lower ball joints and outer tie-rods.
The questions are why wouldn't I do this?
How difficult could this really be? I mean is there some mystery trick I am missing that is preventing everyone from recommending this as a solution?

Or is the issue that the foundry problem affected the inventory and availability of as well?
Bob
Old 03-31-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
p0508

Re: 72 C20 drop spindles issue QUESTION

There is no mystery, it is exactly as you stated. You will need 73-87 upper/lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

If you want to switch your entire suspension over to 73 - 87:

Buy CPP's modular 73-87 2.5 inch drop spindle.
Buy ridetechs 73-87 front end kit which includes everything except the drag link
Find 73-87 drag link, not hard.
Then change out your current upper and lower ball joints to 73-87, or buy tubular control arms with them in it, the options are endless.

There is no "benefit" to the entire swap. I did so because I was switching to coilovers and the control arms came prepped for 73-87 stuff, so I converted everything over just to keep it simple.
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:57 AM   #3
HYPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0508 View Post
There is no mystery, it is exactly as you stated. You will need 73-87 upper/lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

If you want to switch your entire suspension over to 73 - 87:

Buy CPP's modular 73-87 2.5 inch drop spindle.
Buy ridetechs 73-87 front end kit which includes everything except the drag link
Find 73-87 drag link, not hard.
Then change out your current upper and lower ball joints to 73-87, or buy tubular control arms with them in it, the options are endless.

There is no "benefit" to the entire swap. I did so because I was switching to coilovers and the control arms came prepped for 73-87 stuff, so I converted everything over just to keep it simple.
Thank you for your reply. I am just hoping that there isn't a foundry issue affecting the 73-87 drop spindles.
Still trying to wrap my head around why 4 different vendors didn't suggest doing the swap. Even if the calipers were a compatibility issue that still won't stop me from doing it rather than wait 3-4+ months for delivery.
Bob
Old 04-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
HYPR

Well it was an idea...Just not a really good one. Why? Well because according to POL the same Foundry also made the 73-87 drop spindles and those too are affected by the shut down. So if you are looking for drop spindles it is going to be no sooner than late June...Translation______ Some time next winter! LOL!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
p0508

There are more companies out there that make drop spindles for our trucks, whether or not they come from the same foundry who knows, but i'm sure the entire country isnt out of stock and you could always use the CPP modular spindle.

I know ridetech stocks CPP spindles, maybe give them a call. Ridetechs drop spindles for 67-72 and 73-87 are cpp.

Check out belltech, LMC, Classic industries, there are a few listed on ebay.

Summit racing is showing CPP spindles in stock and a few others......

Jegs as well.

Wilwood makes a forged aluminum spindle if you like to spend money.

UPDATE:

I guess i could drop you this little tidbit. If you go with the CPP modular spindle wilwoods 1.25 D52 front brakes work and sportcompactwarehouse.com sells them for 300 dollars even. Cost me 301.83 to my door.

WILWOOD 140-11290-BK

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...olet/model/c10

Last edited by p0508; 04-02-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
HYPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0508 View Post
There are more companies out there that make drop spindles for our trucks, whether or not they come from the same foundry who knows, but i'm sure the entire country isnt out of stock and you could always use the CPP modular spindle.

I know ridetech stocks CPP spindles, maybe give them a call. Ridetechs drop spindles for 67-72 and 73-87 are cpp.

Check out belltech, LMC, Classic industries, there are a few listed on ebay.

Summit racing is showing CPP spindles in stock and a few others......

Jegs as well.

Wilwood makes a forged aluminum spindle if you like to spend money.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...olet/model/c10
Unfortunately I already checked Summit and went back to check just now and yes for C10 but no for C20. The best they can guess is WesternChassis ETA 5/31/19 which is the same optimistic date everyone is saying. One of the problems is I do not want to change over to a 5 lug set up. I also spoke with CPP and same results. Now if I do want to convert it to a C10 I am good to go. LOL!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
p0508

I completely missed the C20 part, my bad. Reading is hard.