The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Android04

Constantly chasing Air Leaks

I've been on air ride for a few years now and have constantly chasing air leaks. This past winter, I pulled everything apart and checked all fittings in the bag, switches, and tank and can't find any leaks.

I always switched out some of the PTC fitting and put in brass T's to avoid them from leaking and still have a leak on opposites sides. It'll hold solid almost 24hrs then it will slowly bleed off.

Any tips or suggestions for stopping the leaks?
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Constantly chasing Air Leaks

1st, figure out what is leaking..soapy water will help...
other than that, age of your tubing may be a factor...id replace all the tubing and see what happens...what type of fittings do you have...pushloks?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
...Any tips or suggestions for stopping the leaks?
Use solid copper or cunifer tubes and fittings.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
1st, figure out what is leaking..soapy water will help...
other than that, age of your tubing may be a factor...id replace all the tubing and see what happens...what type of fittings do you have...pushloks?
I've replaced the tubing, and used the soapy method a few times. This year I found a leak in a manual switch so I replaced that. I'm running push to connect fittings and using water lockout clips to ensure no movement of the clips. It is 1/4" line and is all less then a year old. I replaced it all after the first year, and after I switched from two switches to four switches.

Just didn't know if some other method was out there. I've made sure all lines are cut perfectly straight, all fittings are teflon and locktite. All that fun stuff. Just seems never ending.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Use solid copper or cunifer tubes and fittings.
Something like this?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

This is what we use in the hvac field, and works alot better the soapy water since it sticks. This hopefully allow small bubbles to form.

https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Calgon-418.../dp/B00E0Q03KM

There are other brands, but this is usually whatbi use due to availability. I am sure any name brand is fine.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
This is what we use in the hvac field, and works alot better the soapy water since it sticks. This hopefully allow small bubbles to form.

https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Calgon-418.../dp/B00E0Q03KM

There are other brands, but this is usually whatbi use due to availability. I am sure any name brand is fine.
Ordered! Thanks
Old 08-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
SCOTI

Where are you sourcing your airline & fittings from?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Where are you sourcing your airline & fittings from?
A few different places. My original kit came with brass fittings, but I found them to be leaking inside the push connect so I ordered some from McMaster that I read about in another forum.

Do you have any suggestions?

https://www.mcmaster.com/push-to-con...hes/shape~wye/
Old 08-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
SCOTI

Use D.O.T airline & fittings.

I've been getting DOT airline from McMaster Carr. For fittings, I get them wherever is easiest as long as they're DOT rated. The only fittings on my dually that aren't DOT are the 1/8" 'T' splitters for the pressure gauges (apparently nobody makes them).

I did pretty good for the first 3yrs. No leaks or leak-downs. Then, a line split @ the paddle valve for my drivers front. It was a quick easy repair once I could stop to get it done. I now have a leak-down between the tank & the valves for the rears I've been ignoring (it's a PITA getting underneath it to ID the 'where' so for now the rear pump just works harder than normal after it sits for a few days).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Use D.O.T airline & fittings.

I've been getting DOT airline from McMaster Carr. For fittings, I get them wherever is easiest as long as they're DOT rated. The only fittings on my dually that aren't DOT are the 1/8" 'T' splitters for the pressure gauges (apparently nobody makes them).

I did pretty good for the first 3yrs. No leaks or leak-downs. Then, a line split @ the paddle valve for my drivers front. It was a quick easy repair once I could stop to get it done. I now have a leak-down between the tank & the valves for the rears I've been ignoring (it's a PITA getting underneath it to ID the 'where' so for now the rear pump just works harder than normal after it sits for a few days).
Yeah sounds like leaks are just nature of the beast. Hope you get it fixed soon as well. I'm going to start digging into it this weekend again since last weekend was Street Rod Nationals.

Do you use any sealant or anything to lock them in place on the PTC fittings? I've read of different sealants they use, but never for Air Ride.

Side note - I'm looking at a 89 Single Cab Dually this weekend, I hope I can bring it home.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
Yeah sounds like leaks are just nature of the beast. Hope you get it fixed soon as well. I'm going to start digging into it this weekend again since last weekend was Street Rod Nationals.

Do you use any sealant or anything to lock them in place on the PTC fittings? I've read of different sealants they use, but never for Air Ride.

Side note - I'm looking at a 89 Single Cab Dually this weekend, I hope I can bring it home.
PTC fittings are w/o sealant. I don't know of anything that would 'help' the seal as it's locked in place. I know the DOT fittings clamp better. We use some brand in our solenoid panels @ work that are dang' near impossible to separate once the airline is seated. Not sure of the brand or what they're rated for but I know I introduced DOT rated airline to the system based off of the multiple failures we were having w/the lines (splitting/bursting).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
blazer2007

I,ve chased a leak and still lose 10-20 psi over night,gave up last year.Might try that HVAC juice
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote