The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
matt.quest21

Matt's 1970 C10 Thread

I posted in the new member forum a few days ago. I figured I better start a thread to document the rebuild of my 1970 C10.

Here she is in all her glory! This was my first vehicle when I turned 16. It was in great shape when my Dad bought it for me, but I let it deteriorate. I am motivated now to get the truck looking better than it did before.

Here's a picture of the engine. It's a 400 Small Block. I sent the carb off to be rebuilt and plan on throwing it back on later this week to try to start the truck.

I checked cranking compression the other day on all cylinders and they were all between 137 to 150 PSI. I think the motor is still sound, but we will see soon.

I want to get this truck down to frame and work my way through it slowly.

The interior isn't in too bad of shape. I'm still undecided on if the cab will need to be pulled off, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

This is how I plan on starting my rebuild. You guys let me know if this sounds logical.
  1. Prep Engine so I can try to start it (New Oil, Spark Plugs, Carb Rebuilt, etc.)
  2. Once Engine is prepped, try to start it to see if there are any leaks, i.e. block cracked, freeze plugs blown, etc.
  3. Once I am satisified with "Test Run" pull Engine to begin teardown of truck.
  4. Pull Bed off of frame and possibly cab.
  5. Begin having fun!

I look forward to hearing from you guys and learning more about these beautiful vehicles!
Attached Images

Last edited by matt.quest21; 10-17-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Pictures did not display.
matt.quest21 is offline   Reply With Quote