The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
II_Slow

Extending a dash

I'm thinking I might have to extend my dash some to make room for the AC/Heat vents. I really don't like the ones that just hang off the bottom of the dash (at least the ones I've seen so far). I stuffed a 12-V Cummins in mine and pushed the engine back flush with the bottom of the dash, and it extends up high in the dash too. I've moved the stereo and climate controls to the console and it is still very full under the dash (Wiring harness, Digital Guard Dawg remote start abd alarm, Rain Gear wipers, Old Air A/C Unit, Dakota Digital dash interface, etc.)

Anyone have any pictures of AC vents that look decent suspended under the dash?
How about pictures of an extended dash that does look an extended dash?

Obviously I'm trying to make it look "normal". I had a spare dash and tossed in a shop clean-up a couple of years ago. Seems like sectioning a factory dash and adding on about 2-1/2 to 3 inches would have been the perfect solution.

II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
torchlight

Re: Extending a dash

I think it is a good idea. Sometimes the vents just hanging below the dash can look out of place. My truck isn't the same series as yours but here are a few pictures of what we did on my 53. The idea was to make it look like it could have come from the Chevy factory like this, back in 1953.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
dsraven

nice job pella.looks factory.
the complete dash comes out fairly easily but the window needs to be out to access the spot welds in the seam. it may be easier to section it like you say. you could also raise it a bit so there is more room for the stg column and knees getting in. don't forget to leave room between the stg wheel and the finished dash for knuckles when you are turning and also room for feet and shins under the dash.
post up some pics from the side with the door open so we can see what you are dealing with. maybe come up with some ideas for you.
you could try a boat shop for a heater outlet, they use them in tournament boats all the time and they fit onto the end of a duct tube, are adjustable for flow direction and some have shut off valves to stop air flow. simple screw on devices mostly. they come in black or chrome plastic I think. they don't stick out from the dash a whole bunch either.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That looks really good torch
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Torchlight - Yours looks outstanding. I particularly like the vertical lines mimicking the factory lines in the dash trim. BUT, something like ours won't work on a Task force dash if II Slow wants a functioning glove box door. The reason is on our trucks the door wraps under the curve of the dash. He'd have to leave a space in the valance for the door to recess into when open. I'm going to have to use an upholstered valance matching my upholstery. Not ideal, but oh well.

Hey, not to hijack but I love your steering wheel. Is It a Con2R wheel? If so, which model?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
_Ogre

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
torchlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hey, not to hijack but I love your steering wheel. Is It a Con2R wheel? If so, which model?
Yep! Used their Series One "build your own" program. You can put together a lot of great looking steering wheels that way. I wanted something that looked good but didn't necessarily scream "aftermarket wheel." Was pretty cool - they sent me the pieces, we painted them and sent them back, and then they put it together and sent me the fully assembled wheel.