The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #26
Custom/20

Re: Exhaust Question?

All I can say is being a noobie with exhaust. You all are great help! I just ran the truck and looking close these flow masters gotta go. I originally had 2 inch duals and glass packs(loved the sound but they were about to fall off) going out behind the tires. Now headers, 2˝ inch pipe with 40s that dump right in front of the axle. I was going to finish the exhaust going out the back but I guess it's time to find some different mufflers..
Attached Images

Custom/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
68Stepbed

Dumping before the axle isn't helping, either. Run the pipes out the back to help with the sound also.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #28
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Dumping before the axle isn't helping, either. Run the pipes out the back to help with the sound also.
Unless you are going to drop it in the weeds, then you gotta get creative to do this.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #29
BILT4ME

I had the Rams Horn manifolds, dual 2-1/2", and Dynomax Turbo Mufflers. I loved the sound of them. Then the manifolds cracked and I went to the shortie headers and the truck lost all it's noise. The headers were MUCH quieter than the rams horns due to the flow characteristics.

I agree with the others. Change the MUFFLERS, not the manifolds.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #30
Custom/20

Quote:
When I did the exhaust I didn't have enough to have it go straight out the back. I was going to finish it but now I am thinking about going back to glass packs as well. Does anyone of you guys have recommendations for Glasspacks that don't have drone?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #31
biketopia

the flow coming out and dumping right on the ground then reverberating on the ground then up and under the cab is going to cause you a lot of noise and drone as well. Run the exhaust out the back, out the side, any way other than shooting at the ground and it will help.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #32
67 chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
the flow coming out and dumping right on the ground then reverberating on the ground then up and under the cab is going to cause you a lot of noise and drone as well. Run the exhaust out the back, out the side, any way other than shooting at the ground and it will help.
Dead on , had a 72 chevelle with turn downs right before the axil , man it was unbearable
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #33
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom/20 View Post
When I did the exhaust I didn't have enough to have it go straight out the back. I was going to finish it but now I am thinking about going back to glass packs as well. Does anyone of you guys have recommendations for Glasspacks that don't have drone?
Please don't put glasspacks on!!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #34
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
Dead on , had a 72 chevelle with turn downs right before the axil , man it was unbearable

My brothers race car has gone through about 5 different set ups, granted its a high compression big block street car but from the flowmasters dumping into the axle, straight pipes, cut outs, turbo mufflers, all dumping under it somehow to what he has now, small, race type mufflers that exit to the side right before the rear wheels, its no where near as loud or annoying to take out on the street as it was before.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #35
clay68c10

I've run flows on a couple of trucks and I'd say just get the pipes run out the back first. That may be all it takes, and should be relatively cheap. If it's still a little noisy, add a couple of small resonators.
My last truck had a 454 with headers, 50 series with an h pipe and it didn't drone at all with the pipes dumping right behind the bumper.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #36
leftybass209

Quote:
I'm running dual flow master 40s. At idle with the headers there is so much drone noise from 600 rpm to 900 rpm that is hurts my head. Don't get me wrong I like the sound but this drone has got to go.
Yeah, this is your problem. I have 40's and exhaust manifolds (not my choice) and it's way too loud for me. The manifolds may.... may shave 5db or so off the volume. I'd change the mufflers before the headers.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #37
Custom/20

Quote:
Please don't put glasspacks on!!
What do you got against glass packs?
Old 12-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #38
68Stepbed

Quote:
What do you got against glass packs?
The hideous sound that comes out of them.

In all honesty, it's your truck. Do what you like. You're not building it for my taste. I'm sure you've heard the cliche about opinions. lol

We're mainly just trying to help you with the issue of the exhaust being too loud. Muffler choice is still up to you.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #39
Custom/20

Quote:
The hideous sound that comes out of them.

In all honesty, it's your truck. Do what you like. You're not building it for my taste. I'm sure you've heard the cliche about opinions. lol

We're mainly just trying to help you with the issue of the exhaust being too loud. Muffler choice is still up to you.
Oh you all are nothing but help! But yeah, I can't say I haven't heard the opinions . I never had drone before though and all i can cay is it is ridiculous... I would be fine with trading the drone out for a little louder exhaust.. Right now when I'm just cruising through a parking lot if its really droning it sets off car alarms I'm not sure if my neighbors love me or hate me at this moment.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #40
1972RedNeck

Glass packs are one of the more restrictive mufflers out there - the only ones that aren't are the perforated core ones made by Thrush.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #41
Custom/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Glass packs are one of the more restrictive mufflers out there - the only ones that aren't are the perforated core ones made by Thrush.
Well speaking of thrush, I actually have a pair of Thrush 24214 Glasspacks in my cart on summit racing.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk...WUsRoCB2Dw_wcB
Old 12-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #42
Boog
laying low

I completely know what you are talking about with the drone. I had a 2000 GMC that someone had put a magnablow on with dual tails out the back. I like it all except while driving it. It had a horrible drone from 1500 to 2000 rpm, right where the rpms ran in each gear. My wife hated to ride in it. I went to a local muff shop and had them replace it with another thinking it was just burned out. not so. the new one was just as bad. I took the young ladd for a ride and showed him how bad it was and it didn't bother him the least. Got to be that age difference thing. I suggested going with glass packs as I have used on so many trucks over the years and he said that would be even louder. I beg to differ. I had them on all my former trucks and had no irritating drone. A while later I had them install a glass pack in front of the mb and that toned it down to not much more than a stock exhaust sound which also toned down the drone. There are some good sounding mufflers out there. If you care to look there are a few threads on exhaust sounds scattered over the years here. Search exhaust sounds, or lets hear your exhaust purr and it should turn up some threads. I like the sound of Brockmans mellow tone muffs. I think he is in Tx. Giving some thought to looking him up for some too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #43
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I completely know what you are talking about with the drone. I had a 2000 GMC that someone had put a magnablow on with dual tails out the back. I like it all except while driving it. It had a horrible drone from 1500 to 2000 rpm, right where the rpms ran in each gear. My wife hated to ride in it. I went to a local muff shop and had them replace it with another thinking it was just burned out. not so. the new one was just as bad. I took the young ladd for a ride and showed him how bad it was and it didn't bother him the least. Got to be that age difference thing. I suggested going with glass packs as I have used on so many trucks over the years and he said that would be even louder. I beg to differ. I had them on all my former trucks and had no irritating drone. A while later I had them install a glass pack in front of the mb and that toned it down to not much more than a stock exhaust sound which also toned down the drone. There are some good sounding mufflers out there. If you care to look there are a few threads on exhaust sounds scattered over the years here. Search exhaust sounds, or lets hear your exhaust purr and it should turn up some threads. I like the sound of Brockmans mellow tone muffs. I think he is in Tx. Giving some thought to looking him up for some too.
That's strange that the Magnaflow droned that bad. When I bought my 05 GMC CC, it already had a single Flowmaster 40 series with dual tailpipes. It droned, but it was tolerable. My issue was it sounded like every other Chevy/GMC with "duals". I swapped to a single 3" exhaust with a Magnaflow. There's almost no drone, now. In fact, road noise from the tires is worse than the sound of the exhaust.