The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
rowleybd

numbers matching? original engine?

So my 69 C10 with 350 is a little tired and having carb issues. I am considering rebuilding or going crate/LS swap. I think if it is original numbers matching and salvageable, It would be better to rebuild the 350 this winter....if not, I would likely move to LS with FI as I want a really reliable daily!

The photo is from a year or so ago...I have new HEI, Q-jet, alternator and many other replaced parts!

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

rowleybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
camtoys1

Re: numbers matching? original engine?

keep og
camtoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
leftybass209

There are no numbers to match on these trucks, such as a vin stamped in the block. The best you could do is a date code that precedes when the truck was built.

It's always good to hang onto the original parts if you have the room. Barring that, these trucks don't have a consistent collectible value based on originality. Cheyenne Super pickups command a good price, but I've seen bagged customs take home more dollars than beautiful BB Short Fleets.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Coley

Smile Re: numbers matching? original engine?

Well...this is a big question.
Is any of this based on 'budget restrictions'?....and just what is the ultimate goal?....modern driveability?....reliability?.....power?.....(noting that everyone says yes to all of those...lol)
The LS is a very popular swap with a lot of great results....but by the time you buy the engine, trans, harness...and the seemingly endless amount of stuff needed to install it, hook it up to the heater, linkages, fans, rads, etc, etc....you are into some heavy money unless you happen to own a late model chevy wrecking yard.
Regardless, I would hang onto that original motor and simply either 'shelve it' for now...or rebuild it over the winter.
In the meantime you can always get a crate engine and hit the road very quickly with that installation.

my two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 06-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
weim55

If you would like to avoid the labor/time and expense of the LS consider a pre-'96 TBI small block. You will gain all of the same reliability of the LS for considerably less time and money. The swap will become much more of a bolt in. Because of the age slightly more difficult to locate a good swap candidate but there are tons of them out there. The downside is you lose the extra power and economy of the LS.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
dmjlambert

If you have a new Q-jet how can you be having carb issues? My truck was running like crap until I put a new remanufactured Quadrajet on it, now it runs great. Let's see an up-to-date picture.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Malone34

My two cents is it all depends on your time and budget. If you have the time and money I personally think an ls swap is the way to go. I plan on doing that to mine but like Coley said it's alot of parts and could get pretty expensive quick if you decide to go that route. I know myself even if you have a budget in mind for the swap your going to upgrade things that you didn't plan on in the first place
Old 06-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
indymachinist

Early 90s tbi truck engines were horrible. I'd keep a carbed engine over one of those any day.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'd just rebuild that one. Tons less money than many other options, and you have all the brackets and such in-hand already! I considered going to an LS in my truck, but I'd never get my money back in what's left of my lifetime (I expect maybe 20 more years) with the increased fuel mileage. I'll just rebuild the 402 that's in it now- depending on cylinder condition- it has been bored once, already.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
custom10nut

While the statement,"Trucks didn't come from the factory with numbers matching components" is true, there is some pride in being able to say that everything in your truck is original. These trucks are getting older and "All Original" trucks are becoming increasingly scarce.
To me, restoring means to refurbish/refinish a vehicle with the original components, or other factory prices from another.
Simply buying new parts of lesser quality is not restoring.
If you own the truck, do what you want to make it the ideal truck, but refrain from using the statement "All Original", like the big auction places like to.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
truckster

While I agree that "all original" does sound cool, what does it really mean? If you're rebuilding the engine, then the only things that are likely to be original are the block, crank, maybe the heads and rods. What about things like tires, brake pads, glass, etc. My point is that vehicles don't stay all original if they're driven.

Build the truck you want. But as an alternative to the LS swap, you might consider the L31 Vortec. Your brackets and accessories should bolt in place, and you get a roller cam, the best-flowing heads GM put on a Gen I SBC, a rear main seal, and great reliability. The swap is going to be simpler than an LS swap - you'll need an intake (different bolt pattern), mellonized gear for your distributor, and most likely an electric fuel pump.

And you can always stick the original engine in a corner of the garage in case you decide you want to put it back in some day.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #12
Z10

Here's my very reliable ZZ4 with FIRST TPI coupled to a 700r4. It now has over 11k miles and gets driven regularly and returns around 17mpg at 70mph.

Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #13
mike16

Looking at some of the "interpretations" of what defines origonal clearly; it is not understood.

Your truck is not origonal, and it will never be origonal again. It probably would cost way too much to restore it back to "correct" condition

But be carefull about make choices based on what ever definition is stated above about what difines origonal.

You wont find a part number or vin number on every nut bolt and washer but major components like starters, alternators carbs and distributors, differentials,transmissions , rims and the like have part numbers,casting numbers or dates codes that identify what the part is, and when it was made. That is matched to the equipment spid document attached to the glovebox door. origonal trucks will also have origonal hardware and other detail parts that came on the truck when new and remain on the truck currently

and if your truck is a matching numbers truck then it does add considerable value in some markets where others look for those qualities and characteristics. One only has to look at the market for a corvette to understand the numbers matching game and how the two markets are so different that there is no real comparison. Ditto for Chevelle and camaro's.

Numbers matching , in a given market, absolutely matters. but when compared to a custom vehicle valued in a different market, apples and oranges.

Its rediculous to compare an origonal numbers matching truck to a custom truck. in terms of value. Apples and oranges.

I bought my origonal numbers matching truck for just south of 10K. A custom truck, something you threw 75K into, will certainly be worth more simply because it cost astronomically more. to buy and or to build. origonal trucks dont have to be built so there is none of that Labor cost either, And even when you take a financial hit it will most likely sell for more. But in terms of cost in real dollars and as a percent of your initial investment, you will take a greater hit. the reality is, there are two different markets. and increasing the value of a truck by simply bolting expensive parts on it, well yes its going to increase the value of that or any truck, but once you broke the bank will you ever see anything like your initial investment. probably not.

to say that they dont have a consistant collectable value based on origonality... well I guess thats true, Not consistant at all. they keep going up in value, so no, there is no consistancy in the value in that respect. very few custom trucks increase in value. and be carefull of the fraud that goes on to increase the value of a vehicle, that is not a true and accurate reflection of a vehicles value. maybe ego. If your custom truck see's alot of magazine space then maybe...maybe.. in a few generations it will recover its value.

Origonal trucks are cheaper too and hold thier value better and longer. even when factoring in downs in the market or inflation.

and were not talking about restored trucks, thats a different market too. Apples and oranges again

Thats just my opinion but its based upon alot of facts and truth's. But remember its apples and oranges, go check out the Corvette market

I had a carb issue and an ignition issue and every other type of issue in one of my trucks, pretty much all went away when i replaced a rusty dirty old fuel tank, blew alot of mud out of the lines too.

Last edited by mike16; 07-11-2017 at 01:31 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 AM   #14
Chevyland

I personally believe that
Original trucks with their original equipment
Will be sought after the most
In the future
As these trucks become more and more collected.
Especially desirable models!
Look at the other markets mentioned above,
Corvette, Camaro, Chevelle.
ORIGINALITY MATTERS

There is no guaranteed way to tell numbers matching engine
The closest you will get is by
Checking casting #s and dates on back of block by distributor hole
But
To me just importantly is the stamp on front tab of block
Just in front of head on passenger side

Here is a great resource on thishttp://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine...ngs.php#suffix

Read it if you care, when you are buying for originality
That with general knowledge/feeling of what original looks like
Should get you pretty confident if it is authentic or not
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Actually, the number on the block does match to the vehicle, just not by VIN. The engine in my '72 K2500 Sierra is correct original numbers matching. It's numbers state that it is an engine for a '72 K20/K2500 350 4bbl automatic. That is specifically what my truck is and that engine has matching numbers. It's not the original engine to the truck. It came out of a '72 K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper 350 4bbl automatic. All this means is trucks are easier to regain a correct numbers matching truck than the cars. But it still isn't all that easy, once gone, and it does matter to many of us true 67-72 truck lovers.

It is so annoying to keep reading over and over again that people want to plop an LS motor in to have a "reliable" ride. This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. The Chevy small block has always been regarded as one of the best engines ever! Yep, a better reputation than the big block and tons more proof in the pudding than any LS. They were used in everything and anything. Used in what they came in, they propelled these trucks into the future for you younger folks to buy and drive. I have driven them the entire time and one reason I did is because these trucks are dead reliable like forever. Never been left on the side of the road with something I couldn't fix when something did go up. Yeah, now GM designed the next best thing to propel their stuff as well as others into the future, same as it's predecessor. But, that doesn't render the SBC unreliable or anything less that great!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #16
Chevyland

All true
The chevy 350 small block is one of the best designed engines ever
But
There is another difference of the ones from our era
And
The Ls engines of today
About 200k miles
Reliably 100k on ours,before a rebuild
Reliably 300k on today's , before you throw it away

Back then the trucks outlasted the engines
Today the engines outlast the trucks

I myself would not do an Ls swap
Or
Even if I see a Very desirable fully restored truck
That has an Ls swap, I pass over it
I like originality

But
On the other hand
If I was younger and had a budget to have one truck
That I would use all the time
And I found one that wasn't so high optioned from the factory
I see the allure to that engine
Old 07-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #17
harpo231

Numbers , Smumbers . The only place to find a complete vin on these is the tag and the spid, otherwise all you can do is "period correct" which I believe is what a lot on here consider original. IMHO the beauty of building one is DO WHAT YOU LIKE unless you're in it to make money.If thats the case, are you really a truck lover ?
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
littlehopper

"Correct numbers matching" can be misleading in that a block dated 1974 in a 1970 vehicle is not really "correct" as the date numbers do not match.
The date should also fall within a couple weeks prior to the vehicle build date for it to truly be "correct".

Either way, one should buy based on what they like and prefer rather than what the resale will be. The market is too fluctuating to bank on and the return not as lucrative as say a Corvette or Camaro.
littlehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
toolboxchev

If you looking to keep a 350 original it is much less expensive to do so. Updates, Modifications, Aftermarket products all cost much more than you think. Add your time and labor to that and it gets the financial clock rolling real good.

My truck has an old soul and keeps ticking. Granted its no trailer queen, does not win drag races, nor impress the ladies. I do not want it to do that, It fricken WORKS. Must of the public eye does not see that.

I do all my maintenance, and do it religiously. I am in the process of doing a transmission flush to keep it lively. These older rigs like fresh oil and all fluids.

Almost all the parts are re-buildable or easily replaceable. It cost 850 bucks for a fuel pump in an 01 GT Mustang for my girlfriend. My fuel pump replacement cost 25 bucks and 1/2 hour.

Do the math ahead of time. My girlfriend was in shock!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
FRCvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
Here's my very reliable ZZ4 with FIRST TPI coupled to a 700r4. It now has over 11k miles and gets driven regularly and returns around 17mpg at 70mph.

This is what I want to do to my truck. Can you tell me what all is involved in this install. Thanks

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Numbers , Smumbers . The only place to find a complete vin on these is the tag and the spid, otherwise all you can do is "period correct" which I believe is what a lot on here consider original. IMHO the beauty of building one is DO WHAT YOU LIKE unless you're in it to make money.If thats the case, are you really a truck lover ?
Would you take, Say
An original Cheyenne Super or maybe a Highlander
And DO WHAT YOU LIKE with it?
I think a truck lover, might leave it original!
Not to make money
But
Because he loves trucks

However,
It's America
We all can do what we want with our trucks
To each his own

My belief is
Since we are all on this site talking about them
We Are most likely
ALL
Trucks Lovers
Old 07-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
harpo231

I'm a schmuck so hard to say . just kidding . Im a lover , I would do what i want but never spoil the integrity of a truck by chopping it up,
Old 07-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #23
AnotherWs6

I'm literally disappointed every time I see a truck with an LS swap. Muscle cars for that matter too. In cars that never came with V8's? Sure. But these thing came with small and big blocks from the factory so you cant up the cool factor by much. Better mileage? Eh. More power? Higher up than you'd like. My two cents. If you want to strap a turbo on it and make 600 HP as cheap and easily as possible go for the swap, otherwise freshen that thing up, give it a nice cam, maybe some heads and Bob's your uncle.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #24
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I'm a schmuck so hard to say . just kidding . Im a lover , I would do what i want but never spoil the integrity of a truck by chopping it up,
It would be your truck!
You could do what you want with it😀

Some guys (myself included)
Will just have to get used to Loving
Their period correct trucks

Since
There is NO GUARANTEE of numbers matching
Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #25
harpo231

I love em all from showroom floor correct to custom builds. wouldn't it be a drag if we were all the same ?