The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Dannetas

VIN Title Engine serial number

Hi,

I have a question regarding a Title and Vin.

My "problem" is that I purchased a car which is now exported out of the US and imported in the Netherlands. This Thursday I have an appointment at the RDW ( Dutch DMV) for a paperwork and car inspection but I know almost for sure that I will be sent away again.

The problem is that the Title and vin both indicate that the car is from 1950 as shown on the Title but The Vin# is not shown on the title and the 216ci engine which is in the car has no serial number which indicates it most likely is a replacement engine.

My question is if there is any way to link the car to the title.

Any tips on how to proceed is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited by Dannetas; 07-29-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Dannetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: VIN Title Engine serial number

I would say look again on the original engine. Ive attached a pic where the serial number should be. I'd be a little surprised if it was missing. Otherwise there's a couple of dutch guys that went had some "fun" getting their trucks inspected. You can find them in the build section.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
mr48chev

????????????????????????????????????

True, we know that some regressive states used the engine number up into the 50's rather than the number on the door post tag. Theory being that the running engine was the value of the vehicle and if it broke the vehicle had no value which was reasonably true before WWII. Before that they swapped good bodies over on the running roller chassis more than they swapped engines according to what my dad told me about what he an his buddies did in the mid 30's.
This is also one reason I've preached don't get rid of the old original block until you have the title straightened out and corrected if need be or have the truck inspected with the old block laying in the bed. Lots easier to say that that broken frozen up one with the rust in the cylinders is the original block that's number is on the title when you have a late engine under the hood.

The other thing is to do your homework and study the laws of your state or country before you start buying and building. There are states where the blood pressure level just stays a lot more within limits if you spend a bit more cash at the start and get a truck with a clear title and fresh registration from that state. Then you can transfer it into your name before you ever turn a wrench without worries or hassles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-29-2017 at 11:24 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Dannetas

yeah that's where it should be. But there is nothing there iowaboynca.

I read that replacement engines have no serial# so I figured it was a replacement engine.

see below picture where I cleaned the area with a steelwire brush.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Dannetas

lol was there an answer between all those question marks :-) mr48chev
Old 07-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
mr48chev

had to ponder what you were writing there for a minute until you showed the photo.

I would believe your assumption is correct as I see no marks where someone ground on it after it left the factory. I think the engine that was in my grandfather's 48 1 ton that I have the short block from out in the milkhouse was a replacement engine or short block according to what my dad said but I have never checked it for a serial number.

I'd have to go over to the build section to see what problems you are having but it looks like the individual that sold you the truck didn't have the paperwork squared away.

One question, anywhere on that block is there a metal tag riveted to the block with a number stamped in it. Rebuild shops did and do affix tags to the blocks that they rebuild with their serial number on them and I have seen some V8 blocks that at least one of those shops ground the serial number off the pad. That isn't legal now but was done years ago. Some are just a tag with a number stamped in them and some are more elaborate with the name of the shop and the specs of the engine on them along with the number.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-29-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Dannetas

I have no build thread mr48chev. So you won't find anything there :-)

What I wonder though is why the state of Oregon decided to use the Engine # of a '53 engine while there also is a VIN number present. and issued the Title in 67 I think that was the date when they started using Titles?

The actual question is: Does the DMV have other information in their system which could trace the Title back to the VIN # ( the only number present on the truck)

Last edited by Dannetas; 07-29-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
iowaboynca

probably not.
States purge their records after a number of years to make room. Not sure how sympathetic they are over there, but maybe plead your case with serial tag on the door to prove traceability.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Dannetas

not sympathetic at all. Not anymore anyways. They need some sort of proof that the car is linked to a title if not than it's a scrap pile on wheels
Old 07-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
mr48chev

It might be a whole lot easier if you were in Oregon and wanted to transfer the title. Then it would take several days but finally a clerk would go dig in the archives in the warehouse and find the state's copy of the title. At least that is what Washington state does. Then after the title was in your name you would have it inspected and apply for an engine change designation on the title. A bit late to do that now.

I just dug out the Oregon title to a 51 1-1/2 ton that I have out here in the back. that title was issued in 1981 and still uses the engine number. No cab tag number showing. The title also lists the truck as a 50 when even the engine number shows 51. That would indicate that Oregon didn't change over to the vin on the door tag when they transferred titles from one person to another at least up though 1981. I'll have to have it inspected when I go get it titled in this state and that probably won't be for a year or two as it is way back in the line as far as projects go. First time I actually took a serious look at the title.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
1project2many

Engine number was the identification number for many years and the body numbers or frame numbers were not considered or recorded. Folks who replaced the engine often failed to follow steps required to update the records. For these vehicles there is no link that I'm aware of between engine number and body number other than original records. Those records are most likely long gone.

Is it possible to get a "notarized" letter from the original seller stating he / she replaced the engine? Will paperwork from a repair facility stating the engine was replaced suffice to show there was a change? Maybe the individual that sold the vehicle to you can send a bill of sale for the engine as well?

In this state if we change major components which are "VIN marked" we are supposed to have an inspection performed and a state issued VIN assigned. We have to provide supporting documents for the replacement parts, such as a bill of sale for an engine, transmission, etc. The process is generally fairly easy but folks who fail to get the paperwork in order find it quite frustrating.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Dannetas

I just looked up the person who originally owned the truck (name on the title) but I just found out that the good old man passed away december 16th 2016.
Probably the reason why the car was sold.

Last edited by Dannetas; 07-29-2017 at 05:02 PM.